Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isaac

User Info Menu

Isaac

just wondering boardie thoughts on traveling to Negril on Friday in the wake of Issaac. i would be leaving milwaukee to atl on friday arriving at 2pm. i am thinking that this is not the greatest of ideas but am having a hard time letting this go. what do you all think???

User Info Menu

Re: Isaac

I think you will be fine. The AM prog puts it 500 miles to the East of Jamaica on Friday mid day.

Have fun!
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

You'll be cool. Looks like a Cat 1 for the eastern coast of FL last I looked.

User Info Menu

It may mean a slightly longer flight as they will probably fly further west. When this happened to us a few trips back it was cool because we could clearly see Negril on final approach.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

during the live-from-Jamaica, via the internet
    i JUST heard on Power106-FM
    during their Monday-Friday 8:15 weather-forecast

"...Issac will/may affect/effect(?) Jamaica on Friday night..."

they-SAY-ing:::>>> "..expect heavy showers over the weekend ...."

so,
    be SURE you have packed light-weight quick-dry clothing.
    &
    some rain-wear
    &
    umbrella(s)

as i all-ways recommend::::>> GET those great Jamaican water-boots ASAP once you arrive:::: compared to USofA prices, Ja-water boots are cheap cheap CHEAP, and VERY-effective

other comments, i'm listening-to on Power106, as I'm typing this post:::::>>>> "...EXPECT slow-movement (via car/van/bus/etc) because of roads flooded, trees blown-down, etc etc blah blah raa raa..."

they're describe-ing Issac (for Jamaica) as a Category #1, which is a piece-of-cake (for Jamaica/Jamaicans)

on-radio, they're also chatting about insurance policies, and how the policy addresses "..acts of God.."

so,
    what does your various travel/health/etc insurance-policies say about "..acts of God.." ...????...

question::::>>> does the property you're staying at have a generator ....????.... 'cause the odds are VERY-good(?) that there WILL BE power-outages (which is the norm in Jamaica, but more-so during tropical storms, hurricanes, etc.)

oh
    oh
    oh:::>> a tip/suggestion:::::>> get those water-boots IN-Lucea (on your way from the airport to Negril) ---- GO to Mr.Brown's hardware store, which is at the end of the '.OneWay.' ---- your driver WILL know the OneWay.

hopefully the OneWay is not flooded --- probably not, whereas Issac not expected to impact until Friday-night/over-weekend

video 'bout Mr.Brown's hardware store (which is actually owned & operated & managed by the lover-ly MissTrench)

btw ~~ MissTrench also has a hardware store in SandyBay and OrangeBay::: stores always well stocked::: great service::: wonderful & knowledgeable staff

oh
    oh
    oh:::>>> one more thing::::>>> it's never mention-ed, but when those tropical storms/hurricanes hit Jamaica/Negril, EXPECT your beach-time to mash-ed up in various ways ---- e.g., rough sea, high waves, wind blowing sand, sea weed washed up on beach ---- and if the sea is really-really rough there could be dead fish along the beachfront, with other debris, dead animals & plants etc etc that get churned-up from the sea floor and tossed onto the beach:::: be careful 'cause there could-be some trash on the beach front too ---- trash & stuff that tourist folks threw into the sea, and collected on the sea bottom --- bottles, plastic cups, etc etc.

anyhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

happy-trails to you-all
    &
    stay dry
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    question::::>>> does the property you're staying at have a generator ....????.... 'cause the odds are VERY-good(?) that there WILL BE power-outages
    i would pack a dozen candles,,,, just in case
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    EXPECT your beach-time to be mash-ed up in various ways
    no boat rides
    no booze cruises
    no jet skis
    no parasail-ing

boats will be taken away, to safer harbors/places, for protection
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Since you are leaving from Milwaukee, just plan for weather as if it was a winter blizzard ........... except you can wear shorts and flip flops ! !

User Info Menu

*think* '..damp-ness..'

'..heavy rains/showers..' means damp damp damp & more-damp

so,
    pack a nice cologne (or perfume)

with heat & dampness *things* can get a little funky & '.green.'

while riding in a route-taxi, with other-passengers, you don't wanna be '.green.'

:-(
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

guyingb, looking at the projected course for isaac, u should be fine, but if u want to trade places just let me know