Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STORM Information

User Info Menu

Re: STORM Information

Thanks dear Juli for the onsite report. And so it goes ......... bless your day!
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Having watched the sea and sand for more than a few years I was hoping this one might have a touch more north easterly wave action and transfer some of that white sand laying a couple hundred yards in the sea out back into the beach,,,,,,, I believe the wave action behind a storm is called fletching and it runs 90 degrees to the back side of the storm direction

love the blow holes at Rexy's and Catcha when the sea is moving
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

Yes!
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Isaac is heading my way. Wish we could escape to Negril!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chet & Coleen View Post
    ,,,,,,, I believe the wave action behind a storm is called fletching and it runs 90 degrees to the back side of the storm direction
    It's fetching. The distance and direction that a wind blows over the water creating waves. As in the fetch of the sea....
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your information, and thank you sweetness for opening this threat. This puts the reports into perspective! Those waves especially in the darkness of night must be must really really scary. But I get the impression that the situation is not very dangerous, yes?

User Info Menu

correct Markus....nothing out of the ordinary - once in awhile rough seas and windy conditions. Definately can be scary if its night and unexpected. No danger though.
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hubby-man View Post
    Thanks everyone for your information, and thank you sweetness for opening this threat. This puts the reports into perspective! Those waves especially in the darkness of night must be must really really scary. But I get the impression that the situation is not very dangerous, yes?
    In 40 some trips in we have seen quite a few differant wave actions. 90% of the time the sea is like glass, but when she talks in a stern voice she is a powerful mistress. We have seen 100% sun with rolling seas, we have had storms come in the middle of the night where you don't even sense the sound because it builds so slowly it is more a concussion in the air,,,,,, never have felt nervous

I can say that we went in 3 days after Ivan and I have never felt as helpful. If you can take care of yourself and not be a burden and you do not expect an umbrella in blender drink stay you can help in many ways. I had a chain saw, re-chargeable sawzall, drill and circular saw, we broght a lot of nails and screws and everywhere we went we cleared roads and would stop for a little while and help people get back on their feet. W/O current for refrigeration and with some in the hills not having the cash flow to buy a weeks worth of supplies we found ourselves running ice to our igloos at differant yards in the hills as soon as ice became available.

The Jamaican business owner is resiliant, "if I have to rebuild I might as go bigger or better" we have seen a lot of that post storms over the years.

I remember sitting with a friend in the market when the first tourist bus came in, there was an almost pallapable sigh of relief by all of the craftsmen and vendors.

Funny thing is the waves can be blue or brown when full of sand, one job that needs done is to walk the seaweed right after the sorm and throw starfish back out into the sea to give them a new lease on life.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.