Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Trip report 8/10-8/24

User Info Menu

Trip report 8/10-8/24

Flew on Spirit out of Fort Lauderdale on Aug.10 a Friday, plane was 2 and half hours late.Clives was waiting for me at airport, i was the only passenger. Was in rush hour traffic in Mo Bay it seemed to take longer to get out of Mo Bay then the rest of the trip to Negril. Stopped for pork at Biggas in Green Island. Arrived at Barry's at 7:30 instead of 5:00 as I planned. Marsha was waiting for me we had missed each other a lot hadn't seen each other since Dec.

Sat the 11th took my run on the beach down to Treehouse but had to run in the water at Tony's Hut no beach running shoes all wet. That was last day for long run so instead run sprints each day on empty beach between Coconut Int. and T-water. I am a tennis pro so I try to stay in shape.

I spend most of my time on the beach at Irie Vibes they play great music and have internet so I can check my e-mail. Really nice Italian guys own it and will burn cds for you. We ate dinner that night at Bar B Barn is was great.

Sunday took a walk down to Cosmos. There is a new place to eat in front of Barry's called Seafood on the Road, it was Fansos in Dec. was good then and now very inexpensive. Went to Sunset on the Beach that night for music they have a DJ on Sunday nights free so it was worth it. Miss the music in the park on Sundays.

Monday my usual day sprints beach. Dinner at Coconut Int., went to Roots Bamboo that night, a few different performers some good others not so, no cover charge.

Tuesday the usual day went to 3-Dives for dinner Paula is Marsha's sister. Rob was there he recommended we go the SeaStar Saturday.

Wed. had to go to hardware store with Marsha she is repairing her old house in Silver Spring so she can rent it. The hardware store has to be the most inefficient operation I have seen. After it seemed like 2 hours we had a truck take what we bought and us to Silver Spring. Then a bike taxi to Sheffield route taxi to Mango Hall to Marshas house. After a few hours there we took route taxi back to Barrys went to dinner at a place called 3-stars which is on one-mile it was very good.

Thursday the usual. Barry has a big gin up tree in front of our room. Marsha to the amazement of everyone in the yard climbed at least 40 feet up the tree and came down with a bag of gin ups. Ate dinner at Bar B Barn.

Friday the usual, we walked to Canoe for dinner, it was outstanding as usual.

Sat. the usual, went to Sea Star, they pick you up take you back after the show. The food is great and the entertainment is very good especially the dancers with the drummers. All for $18 per person.

Sun. we took our annual long walk from Barry's to Point Village on the beach, on the way back it started to rain was we neared Tony's Hut so we had a drink there till it stopped, soon it will be a swim-up bar. Dinner that night at Seafood on the Road.

Monday the usual, dinner at Coconut Int.

Tuesday went to the fish market behind the craft market bought 5 lbs. of red snapper they we scale and clean for you. We then took a route taxi to Marsha's in Mango Hall were she cooked outside on a fire she built the fish was fantastic as was the rice and beans, the best meal of the trip. At dark we route taxi back to Barry's.

Wed. the usual dinner at Seafood on the Road.

Thurs. the usual dinner at Mom's Place.

Friday last morning on beach picked by Clive's at 12:45, plane left on time.
    3 international flights arrived at Ft. Lauderdale around the same time it took 1 1/2 hours to clear customs. Arrived home in Ft. Myers around 10pm.

Observations.
    Few Americans, very many Italians, many beautiful young Italian girls.
    Weather much hotter than last August.
    I have been going to Negril every year for the last 33 years. Most vendors see me and greet me as longtimer so I hardly ever am hasseled. But from what I saw the vendors were much more polite to tourist and took no thank you as final.

User Info Menu

Re: Trip report 8/10-8/24

Van,

Sorry we didn't get to visit with you and Marsha but we had to cancel due to the possibility of being delayed getting home. Miss G started a very important seminar today and there was a chance Issac would prevent us from getting home one way or the other.

Glad you had a good time.

Regards
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Did you check AirJamaica for travel?? I'm just curious because that's the best deal out of Ft Lauderdale right now but I can't seem to find any "reports" as far as travel. I've flown Spirit before and its hit or miss with them.

User Info Menu

Excellent trip report Van. I love how you said "the usual" no need for details when we know it was a delicious meal (lol). Very good information and insight. I was drooling over the grilled snapper dinner in the country. thanks for taking the timet o share. [sorry bout your reach Captn but soon come]
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness