Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamaican $ or U.S $

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican $ or U.S $

I have the Oanda app for Android and it does still work in airplane mode, you just don't get up to the minute currency rates. Just make sure to load the most recent rate before you leave home. As Walleyed said though, it is easy enough to update with free wi-fi.

I agree with previous comments, it is best to have some of both. Do bring the $1 and $5s for tips.

User Info Menu

I feel like such a balla whippin out a $10000 dollar bill

User Info Menu

there is no $10000 bill, $5000 is the biggest.

User Info Menu

I put an extra zero on accident.

User Info Menu

Simple rule of thumb, if the price is listed in $US pay $US. If it is listed in $J pay $J. We bring most of our funds in travelers checks and exchange them for $J at the FX Trader by the HiLo.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

And I forgot with my last post, use Jamaican whenever possible! It's better for their economy, and easier for them as well. That said they will not turn down your hard earned American $ or even Canuck $'s either!!!!

User Info Menu

I found that in some instances it was better to use USD...for example, the patty mon charged $1 US for a patty, but when I only had J$ I'd give him $100, which is more than $1 US. Maybe I should have asked for change? (Don't worry, I'm kidding!)

User Info Menu

A lot if places have wifi so you'll be fine with updating. We actually saw the rate increase while we were there in July. My phone stayed in airplane mode. I skyped my kids while I was there with my phone ... always in momma mode as well

BTW my app is called Currency+

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

I just received some JA currency I had ordered thru my bank since I like to have some onhand when I arrive. Strange to have such crisp, new bills, but the new currency is so nice commemorating the 50th anniversary year with a hummingbird.
    Heavenly Negril Trips:
    Feb '11, May '11, Sept '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Feb '12, Oct '12, Feb '13