Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican $ or U.S $

User Info Menu

Jamaican $ or U.S $

Coming back for our second visit to Jamaica Thursday Nov,8 thru Friday Nov 16th. Staying in beutifull Negril. Was wondering if it was better to have Jamaican $ or U.S. $

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican $ or U.S $

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...0074#post60074

If you take a look at this thread, it also has links to another thread...

There are differing opinions on hich is better, in my opinion it's best to have a little bit of both and hit the cambio.

If you're going back to Jamaica it doesn't hurt to have extra currency leftover at the end of your trip, if not you can always pay part of your hotel bill with Jamaican $.

User Info Menu

If you have an iPod, "there's an app for that" It is a currency converter, and was very helpful on our trip. I say definitely use JA $ .... For example, we ate at 3 Dives, and dinner in American was $32.00, however, if we had paid in JA it would have converted to $28.00 American. I know it's only $5, but that adds up, and it is only one example.

But like Blake said... have both. We converted $160.00 to JA, and were fine for about 5 days. Plus, it's fun to say you have 1,000s of dollars!

Also, take some $5's & $1's for tips.

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garysteph1018 View Post
    If you have an iPod, "there's an app for that" It is a currency converter, and was very helpful on our trip. I say definitely use JA $ .... For example, we ate at 3 Dives, and dinner in American was $32.00, however, if we had paid in JA it would have converted to $28.00 American. I know it's only $5, but that adds up, and it is only one example.

But like Blake said... have both. We converted $160.00 to JA, and were fine for about 5 days. Plus, it's fun to say you have 1,000s of dollars!

Also, take some $5's & $1's for tips.
    I found the same thing. Seems many restaurants use 82ja to $1us as a set exchange rate when actual rate was 89ja to $1us. It's worth a trip to the cambio
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/kbisiar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garysteph1018 View Post
    If you have an iPod, "there's an app for that" It is a currency converter, and was very helpful on our trip.
    Which app do you use? I wonder if XE can be used in airplane mode....

I have Android(which by the way has more apps than Apple....) but I don't have any interest in paying roaming charges while trying to convert money via an app that connects online.

I almost think it's worth it to just view $1 USD as $100 jamaican, beats doing math....

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I've used both without any issues. But it is better to have $JA for vendors along the beach or as tips for your housekeeper/waitress/taxi.

User Info Menu

always pay in jamaican, soon come

User Info Menu

I used the Oanda app for Apple for quick conversions and it worked great! I just opened the app up each morning (in WiFi zone) and it downloaded the fresh exchange for that day and then it was current! All good. Not sure if there is an App of the same name in that other brand of Operating System though...

User Info Menu

I prefer to pay in ja it s pretty simple and sometimes you get a better deal.

User Info Menu

Take a bunch of small american bills to start (tipping etc) and go to atm once in Negril to get out JA $
    Stir IT UP