Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsara

User Info Menu

Re: Samsara

Thank you everyone for your responses. Over time our favorite places may change. Some for the better, some of course for the worse which is why I'm on an overdue search for a new Negril "home away from home". Since this will be a short stay I decided to not only try a new property but maybe check out the Cliffside offering. I’m a beachgal, but this place always fascinated me.

Yes phineasfreakears, the price is right. Kimbobwee, have a wonder time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyATX View Post
    I care about VIBE and to me Samsara lacks any kind of vibe at all. Its not bad, its not good, it just ISNT.
    Thanks for sharing so much Tizzy. Vibe is very important to me as well. If I don't feel like I'm welcomed or if the management could careless about the guests then that's not my type of place. I like socializing and look forward to that "irie" feel you get from the staff. It probably is a decent place but may not be ready for me

User Info Menu

They get you with their low pricing but once you check in you are paying extra for everything.
    You have to pay to use an office safe, to use the Wifi there, $20 to have guests, A/C is extra, etc.

User Info Menu

I stayed with my adult sons for a week at Samsara this past January. We were on an AI package that was a super deal. We stayed in a cottage with ocean view. The cottage was rustic, had a huge newly tiled shower, but did not have air-conditioning. Even in January, there were times the AC would have been good to cool the place. Food was good, drinks were good, staff were nice, nothing fancy, but a great location on the west end. Generally, the price you pay is usually quite representative of the services and amenities you will receive in the hospitality industry. I would return to Samsara given the same price, but would upgrade to an AC room depending on the time of year.

User Info Menu

mi call it Nickels and Dimes cause dem charge for everything.......and then some.....lol
    a lot better places on the Cliffs to choose from too......
    though if all you need is a bed it will certainly do.......but most need a likkle sumthin more.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

We skipped Negril one year and went to Key Largo and Singer Island in Florida. I travel for work, so we used my points and stayed at some of the ritziest resorts--rented a Mustang convertible and thought we'd be in Heaven. We came to realize that we would rather be in Negril, even if it was with hard mattresses and cold showers.

At any rate, I got the Samsara Groupon in an email last month, and couldn't say no. We booked a spur of the moment 5 night stay at Samsara for Thanksgiving...this will be our first AI stay, and I can't wait! To me, the vibe is a reflection of one's attitude. Negril brings out my attitude of gratitude, so I'm pretty sure we'll love Samsara just like we love Crunchy Crunchy, Blue Cave Castle and Nirvana....

User Info Menu

The hotel has an awesome scuba dive operation. My personal favorite. The reef off the cliffs is very nice for snorkeling. I've stayed there before and would again but only if the price was cheap. Dont like the food there at all but I've heard the new restaurant there is very good.

User Info Menu

For me, Negril is about the people, the ocean, and the amazing culture.... I love the rustic nature, the soon come/don't worry attitude, the fact that things take time and that they are actually worth waiting for. You may have to bring your own toiletries (you want a big bar of soap, bring a big bar of soap-- it's not rocket science). You want your linens and towels changed every day, you want AC, you want American Conveniences? Go to Florida....

You want a beautiful, relaxing, rejuvenating, reviving experience that wakes up your soul? Go to Negril!
    Last edited by Ktans; 10-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Samsara was the FIRST place I ever stayed on my FIRST trip to Jamaica. It was affordable, clean and safe. I had an ocean view room that was only partially obstructed by a palm tree. I loved the view from the property and still have a great shot I took of someone mid dive. The location worked well for me also. As a single female traveler I appreciated that fact that while being unobtrusive, it seemed that the staff/security were very much aware of my comings & goings. I felt looked out for. I recently ran into one of the front desk gals who now works at another resort on the beach and she even remembered me from that time. I do understand what is meant by the "Vibe" - then again, I didn't spend that much time on the property so it was not an issue for me. My stay there was good and if I hadn't fallen in love with my little cabin @ Green Leaf, I probably would have stayed there again.

All the best - happy travels.
    Last edited by SweetSue; 10-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Missnegril, sunray, Marko, Ktans, Mr. Twister, Sweetsue…Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate each comment.

I don’t look to be catered to. I don’t “need” AC if the place has a good ceiling fan or I can be refreshed by a sweet cross breeze. I’m not really picky about amenities either as long as the place is clean & as Sweetsue stated, safe in regards to a solo traveler. But vibe…well that is a must. I’ve stayed at places where I didn’t feel welcomed at all. It wasn’t a personal thing; it was just the way the place operated and the staff being of the same business personality. When I smile and say good morning, I expect the same in return. I like it when I see folks stating that a certain place gives them that "feel at home" vibe.

Ktans, I’m sure you will have an enjoyable stay.