Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Even after 29 years, I just spent one of my best days in Jamaica!

User Info Menu

Even after 29 years, I just spent one of my best days in Jamaica!

We just had a "Accompong Conference 2012" here in Accompong Town and I am nearly speechless from what I just experienced. Speakers from Ghana, the Colonel of the Accompong Maroons, Colonel of the Charlestown Maroons and (most special of all The Honorable Portia Simpson Miller!)

So much culture and so much knowledge to be gained. I am nearly overwhelmed with what I just witnessed. I took some pictures but having trouble downloading them right now. I will write more later and post the pictures as soon as I can. For all of you that are in Jamaica, CVM, TVJ and JIS all had live cameras and it will be shown, I am sure, on the local channels.

Now I must go back to the house just to try to comprehend it all!

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: Even after 29 years, I just spent one of my best days in Jamaica!

Glad it was such a wonderful experience and that you got to be a part of it.

User Info Menu

Wow, such an honor just to be present! Anxious to see the pictures. Thanks so much for your contribution to the board. I have always wanted to visit Accompong Town. Going to work hard on getting there soon. Your posts are truly priceless!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Who was there to represent Ghana? I have such a fascination for the history and I have been blessed that much of my travels all seem to have a common thread - my trips to Charleston, New Orleans, Jamaica & Ghana - the history just seems to weave it's way through my life's journey's. Even to have been blessed to hear the story of the "Incident at Atorkor" told to me by my dear friend Prince Addo, as he was squatting on top of the wall surrounding the monument to commemorate that event. Who knew when I first heard that story on NPR a few years earlier that I would someday actually be there? I was led by design greater than any I could conceive. I hope that I someday may have the honor of making your acquaintance. I would like very much to have the opportunity to meet & learn from the old ones who still carry on the traditions & language of their forefathers from Africa. You are truly blessed (although you already know that) and I wish you many more experiences as special as this one. PEACE.

User Info Menu

I am thankful to have learned so much ( via the net) about Accompong town. Definitely a place I would want to experience. Historical fiction has taken me there before but your first hand accounts are what I love to read.
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Wow-a special moment....thanks for sharing
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

I overheard some talk about an Accompong Conference coming to Accompong Town and was pleasantly surprised and honoured to be, I make invited to attend. On Saturday morning October 27th, I made my way across the small village to the community center where it would be held.

When I registered to get the printed materials, a lady at the desk who lived somewhere other than this town asked for my name and after that she asked, “Where do you live?”. I thought for a second and said, “Here in Accompong Town.” She looked at me with a quizzical look before asking, “Are you a Maroon?” to which I answered “I live here so does that make me a Maroon?”. Now, really confused, she shrugged her shoulders and wrote “Town Citizen” which definition I am proud to wear.

I took a seat on the far side of the center near a bathroom just in case and found myself seated with 3 college professor/lecturers, 2 former Accompong Town Colonels and a member of parliament from St. Elizabeth. I learned so much that day about Maroon history and a lot about the problems facing the community while at the same time the bright future that looms ahead.

When it was time to break for lunch, the leadership decided to just push forward and soon I learned why when the center became engulfed with the sounds of a helicopter passing close overhead. The Most Honorable Portia Simpson Miller and her staff had arrived. It is important to explain here that the Accompong Maroons see themselves as separate and apart living as a “state within a state” by the authority of the Peace Treaty they signed with the English in 1738. They were seeing the Prime Minister as a visiting head of state and not necessarily their leader as that is Colonel Ferron Williams. In the past, Prime Ministers have avoided coming here electing instead to send junior government officials.
    Her speech was carefully worded as not to antagonize but instead to build a bridge with the community. When she said “she was a Maroon” by virtue of being a strong woman leader in the vein of Queen Nanny of the Maroons, the gathering erupted in cheers of support. Some long festering wounds began to heal that day.
    To my shock and surprise, before leaving “Sista P” as she is called came across the hall and shook my hand. Although, at this point, I am not a Jamaican Citizen or a Maroon, I felt a deeper connection to this country and this community.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

What a day you had indeed!!! Can't wait to hear more and see the pictures. Also, thanks for the link to your web site.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

What an incredible blessed day! Now this is a report! God Bless and keep you an the folks in Accompong Town!

Live long and prosper!!!