Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for my fellow Canuck boardies??

User Info Menu

Re: Question for my fellow Canuck boardies??

hmmmm...which bank do you deal with? Scotiabank charges for them...maybe it's the type of account we have? Also checked with our Amex and Mastercard credit cards and they charge as well so not worth it for us

User Info Menu

My BMO doesn't charge to get them but bank I cashed them in, in MoBay on that trip charged for each one I cashed. I just use my BMO debit card at scotiabank and figure out what I need before I go. Scary to punch in that huge amount. My taxi guy told me last year to just get US and go to cambio as they give better exchange than the bank......

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy USD and then convert them to JMD, you're being charged to exchange twice.

Scotiabank isn't my regular bank. I was shocked to see the extent they charge in fees. RBC does not charge for travellers cheques and has them readily available here. And I only have a small savings account there, no chequing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post

Scotiabank isn't my regular bank. I was shocked to see the extent they charge in fees. RBC does not charge for travellers cheques and has them readily available here. And I only have a small savings account there, no chequing.
    I use Scotia Bank here in Ottawa and in Negril and haven't seen any charges when I get home. As for the travellers cheques, I use them all of the time and I am NEVER charged by my Scotia Bank for them. Maybe it depends on the type of account you have.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I use TDCanada trust and they have not charged me.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I use Scotia Bank here in Ottawa and in Negril and haven't seen any charges when I get home. As for the travellers cheques, I use them all of the time and I am NEVER charged by my Scotia Bank for them. Maybe it depends on the type of account you have.
    I know Scotia won't charge extra fees in Jamaica. I meant that if they charge to buy travellers cheques. It appears to matter what type of scotia account you have and may require a minimum balance to avoid all their fees (like for travellors cheques). RBC doesn't charge for them no matter how little money you have in your account. And you also get 2 withdrawals a month free. Scotiabank, no.

User Info Menu

The CDN dollar has been pretty much par for weeks now. Closer to par,when you exchange online, you get a better rate. Convert to US dollars. or US travelers cheques. No Tx fees w some credit card company, like ours. I order ahead, so they can "find" them at my bank. Actually getting harder to get and not taken as usual in some businesses abroad. Had a hard time using them as cash in Cayman, 2009
    Last reach I realized its more difficult to use TCheques then it is to use cash. That being said, I never used the Instant Teller in Negril
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Melody - I have a Value Account. The Travellers cheques are free and I don't think it matters how much money you have in there either.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I never understand why people still use traveler's checks when they can use the ATM! If you are worried about some type of electronic scam, why not open a separate savings account just for vacation purposes? Savings accounts are usually monthly fee free and often you have a number of free ATM uses per month! So, you don't pay traveler's check fees, you don't pay exchange commissions, you get the best exchange rate...why do traveler's checks even exist?
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    The CDN dollar has been pretty much par for weeks now. Closer to par,when you exchange online, you get a better rate. Convert to US dollars. or US travelers cheques. No Tx fees w some credit card company, like ours. I order ahead, so they can "find" them at my bank. Actually getting harder to get and not taken as usual in some businesses abroad. Had a hard time using them as cash in Cayman, 2009
    Last reach I realized its more difficult to use TCheques then it is to use cash. That being said, I never used the Instant Teller in Negril
    No need to convert to US dollars first. As stated by the others, just go and buy TC's in Canadian funds or bring cash if you're comfortable with carrying a lot of cash. We always mix it up, some cash and TC's. Never had or felt the need to double exchange. Scotia Bank is good for exchange and it is air conditioned as well. Nice and cool while you stand in line!

Peace
    Elvino