Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by mavmaiden View Post
    Oh my gosh. I love the way you think...and, more important, the way you translate your thoughts into words. This is priceless! I'm going to make sure and have a bottle of wine on hand this weekend and hope and pray that you continue this report. And since I'll be visiting Negril for the first time next month, I'm anxious to hear how the story goes...
    Thank you! Get that wine ready, I won't leave you hanging over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mavmaiden View Post
    By the way, I, too, am an obsessive planner when I travel to. I've been reading the board for about 6 months and already have reservations in place (for the One Love Bus Crawl, dinner and show at Seastar and dinner at Ivan's). But I have to admit- your hubby's way of thinking is kinda nice, too. I'm hoping to "do nothing" for 80 percent of my trip. Just...can't...help...but...plan...a...little. It's compulsive.
    On this I think we are pretty similar, as you will probably see as the story goes on...

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Chapter 3

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”
    ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

So I have agreed to go on vacation and do nothing. That shouldn't be much of a challenge. In fact, it kind of sounds like that is what a lot of people do in Negril. Something called 'sand gravity' seems to take hold of many visitors. Not my normal scene, but I am up for giving it a try. If I am really honest, the thought of doing nothing sounds pretty awesome.

Doing nothing once we get there isn't the problem. It's the reality of having nothing to plan that is starting to make me feel a little bit crazy. More accurately, having nothing to occupy the butterflies in my stomach is what is making me crazy, but it pretty much feels like the same thing.
    I need to do something and it is not like there is nothing I can plan. I mean, we will have to eat. We will have to drink; I guess one doesn't technically have to drink, but it would be seriously out of character. We might want to see a show or go dancing. Surely that doesn't count as doing something, does it? So I start surfing the net or more accurately, compulsively searching for any and all information I can dredge up on our hotel, the beach and everything surrounding it.

I want to step back for a moment and say that I really enjoy going to new places for the second time. I guess that technically means I don't really like going to new places, I prefer to go to familiar places. The first time someplace new, I am a little anxious. I find I have a fear of not being welcomed, mixed with a good dose of concern over making an idiot of myself that gets my heart rate going a little faster than it should. It can be exhausting. The bigger the newness, the greater the fear. In my mind, Jamaica was freshly minted and I was not sure I would ever be prepared. Not to jump ahead, but I have heard lots of boardies talk about how good Negril is for the soul. Negril was like a soothing balm for my jittery self, but that tale should unfold all in its own good time.

So back to my coping strategies. If I can read enough material, hear enough of other folk's stories and see enough pictures, I can knock just enough of the new off the experience to make it seem bearable. I sometimes wonder if all the information available on-line is actually a help or a hindrance. If there wasn't a nearly endless amount of information to search through, would I compulsively research less and get on with doing or would I never leave the house?

It doesn't take long before I have fully exhausted Trip Advisor. I am not going to embarrass myself further by admitting just how much actual reading that entailed. I feel like I have been through every tourist site even remotely related to the country. I was running out of content obvious to me.

I should say that I have never before really been a participant in on-line forums. I had a facebook page once, but after the first month I pretty much stopped using it. There was something about posting details of my life on-line that made me really uncomfortable. I had never spent any amount of time following a forum, and I had certainly never joined one.

Following a long chain off a Google search for Rooms on the Beach, I came across a trip report. It was from a couple from our part of the country, about the same age as us with seemingly similar attitudes. It was their first time to Jamaica (though they had been to Mexico), they stayed at Rooms and they'd had a great time. There were pictures of the rooms and reviews of where they ate.

I was amazed. Not only had I never read a trip report, I had no idea they even existed. This was exactly the kind of thing that might settle my butterflies down. If this person had done it, surely there must be more such wondrous reports out there. New Google search string 'trip report Negril.'

No surprise that right near the top of the list was Negril.com. This wasn't my first visit to the website. I thought I had pretty much read every scrap of information there was to be found. I had also been through realnegril.com; I had even logged into to a couple of webcasts (not the chat mind you, that would be very un-lurker-like behaviour). I had never even clicked on the Forums link.

But now I was into the forums and there was a lot of reading to be done.

If I recall correctly, I found the board about two weeks before we left for our trip. It was mid-November right around the time Clarity and Hubby-man started reporting on their second trip to Negril. Tizzy was recounting her first adventure with her less than stellar traveling companion. Sprat was posting some of the most beautiful and thoughtful photos I had ever seen. Poolguywindsor was logging miles and reporting live, Red Stripe always in hand. Sweetness was also reporting in on her adventures, with plenty of pictures to go along. TicToc was gearing up for her epic December adventure, family in tow. Patty Sather was packing up all the colors of the rainbow, prepared to match any cocktail that might come her way.

I am not prepared to go back and dig back up some of the comments that helped me along the most. I know over time, that my mind has a tendency to re-write history a bit to suit its purposes, if only in subtle ways. I read so much that I may credit the wrong people with the right things. In the end, I prefer my recollections of how things went down. Please don't feel slighted.

In the end, it wasn't the most current trip reports that had the biggest impact on my state of mind before we left. Clarity and Hubby-man were really only working their way through Day 1 of their second trip when we actually left for Negril. That was no never mind though, as Clarity had kindly linked to their first trip report. For those of you who enjoy trip reports for more than just the details of where you stayed and where you ate (which I'm guessing you do, since you are still reading this), this report is a must read. (Read it here)

It was such a heartfelt and personal recounting of their trip, it ultimately provided a bit of anchor for me as we started in on our own adventure. Without intending to sound like a lunatic stalker, there were several times before and during our trip when I said to myself, "Clarity made it through better for the experience and so will you. Get over it and get on with it."

User Info Menu

I love this so much LOL

I've was gonna add to mine today but you're a tough act to follow, lol. Really fantastic writing Cherry

Clarity's first report was the first one I read if I remember correctly....sucked me right in
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

You are good! Very, Very good! And no liar either 4 pages of backstory? All slammin'? I can wait a little while for you to get to the island... Love the quotes, please continue!
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

This is a fantastic report. I keep checking in to see if there is more.

User Info Menu

I think that we have found another Guirigay. I hope that we have!

User Info Menu

Chapter 4

"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."
    – Susan Heller

Having only booked our vacation six weeks before we were due to leave, there really wasn't that much time on the countdown clock. That also meant there wasn't that much time on the get ready clock.

For all you folks who spend 15 minutes the night before packing, I am making a face at you right now. I dream of being able to pack like that and maybe someday I will. It won't be this year.

Getting ready for this trip was extra complicated, because we had almost nothing useful to pack. We discovered neither of us had swimsuits. When we went to Maui in 2009, Sunshine was sporting a 44" pant waist, now he is in a size 34. We discovered just how much his old swim trunks weren't going to work with some hilarity during an overnight stop at a Holiday Inn. Don't be alarmed, no children were traumatized in the incident. Though not able to brag of nearly as dramatic a change, I was in need of new beach wear as well.

For those of you who live well below the Mason/Dixon line, getting a swimsuit in November is likely of no particular consequence. When you live in the north, be prepared to spend real $$$. For all things summer, we were in a total retail void. The summer stuff was all gone and the 'cruise-wear' wasn't going to be in stores until after Christmas. That left us with specialty shops. Without exaggeration, we could have extended our trip 3 days for what swim suits cost us. Not really part of the budget, but as we weren't booked for c/o, what can you do.

I must admit, shopping before a trip is an activity I generally enjoy. I have been known to be a bit tight when it comes to spending cash, especially on basics that I deem that I can 'make do' without. Underwear has a hole, no problem. Taking underwear with a hole on vacation - I can do better than that. At least half the socks in my drawer can be tied to a purchase before heading on vacation somewhere. Strangely enough, they almost become happy souvenirs. As I pull them on in the morning, I think to myself ah (insert vacation destination here), what a great time that was and it starts the day off right.

Jumping ahead, I have taken a bit of a different approach preparing for our trip this year. Since I started this countdown with well over 200 days to go, I needed to spread out the anticipation. I don't think that there has been a month that has gone by that I haven't bought something that I plan to take to Negril. New sunhat, won't I look cute in Negril. Oh, sunscreen is on sale, better stock up for Negril. Need floaties for the beach, let's by ones we can also take to Negril. The nice thing is, maybe I will actually be able to pack in something less than a week. Also, it is nice that this part of the shopping won't be on the vacation bill.

I get the suitcase out mid-week and start packing. I've read half a dozen times that the key to success in Negril is to bring half the clothes and twice the money. Neither is going to happen, but I do my best.

I did leave two items at home which I found quite liberating - no flat-iron and no make-up for me. They call Negril the capital of casual? That means to me that I can be fresh faced and frizzy haired and the world can just get over it.

Three or four days before we were due to leave, Sunshine came home from work with the sniffles. I am sure there are men out there who are capable of maturity when they are sick. Not so much with Sunshine. He becomes like a petulant four-year old, railing at the universe for placing this pox upon his head. What frustrates me is that he doesn't do anything about it.

What happens when a week before we go on vacation and I start to feel the sniffles? I will take anything and everything that promises to stop the disease in its tracks. I have had mixed results, but I figure, at least am trying. Sunshine's approach? Pour a whiskey and hope it helps. I decided this trip was too important for this laissez-faire attitude and I read him the riot act. He had the good sense to look chagrined and headed off for the pharmacy.

In my world the latest in magic cure-all was, at this point in time, Oil of Oregano. I have half a dozen people at my office that swear by it and claim it works every time. It was a nasty cold season and the stories of miraculous recoveries were flying around like mad. So after three days of Cold-Fx and Oil of Oregano, I'm not sure Sunshine had achieved much. He still has an unpleasant head cold and he is now starting to smell like Mediterranean food and not in a good way. Ironically, he doesn't feel better, but I actually do. Not because I was getting sick, but because he actually tried to do something about it.

User Info Menu

Chapter 5
    “You're off to Great Places!
    Today is your day!
    Your mountain is waiting,
    So... get on your way!”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

We were leaving very early on Saturday morning. Sunshine is one of these people who needs to be at the airport early. If the airline says check in 2 hours before, he will want to be there 2.5 hours before, even though we actually checked in the day before on-line. It is like traveling with my mother, so at least I have had a lifetime to get used to it.

I think our cab picked us up at home at 4:45. The early start didn't really matter though; I hardly slept a wink the night before. To be fair, I hadn't really slept the previous three nights. I was just too excited/anxious/nervous to settle down to sleep.

In case Jamaica was not enough, I had a second reason to be excited to get to the airport. Only one year behind schedule, the new Winnipeg airport was finally open and it was my first chance to get inside. Our old terminal was just that - old. I felt somewhat embarrassed every time I was in there, hoping that first time visitors wouldn't put too much of the airport into forming their impressions of our community. The new terminal felt like a coming out party to me. As a city we were all grown up and putting our best face forward, reflecting the vibrant city we are. I was really impressed.

There was some confusion as people were checking in, since this was a first visit to the new airport for many folks. There was a small army of Westjet agents manning the 'self-serve' kiosks so it was all rather painless. At security, we got selected for special screening (the rub your bags and test for residue kind), but it meant we got to go straight to the head of the long security lines. I wish I could volunteer for that every time. It was a breeze getting through.

As every good Canadian airport does, they were pouring Tim Horton's coffee as fast as it could be brewed. Timmy's breakfast in hand and our duty free secured, we were ready to board.

I have to say I got quite a charge being in my home airport dressed and ready to get off the plane at the beach. I don't care if it is a bit silly, but I've always kind of stared at the folks so obviously heading for paradise with a bit of envy. Now it was my turn!

We get on board and my seating gambit to hopefully get us a row to ourselves has not paid off. Turns out our companion for the trip was a Negril regular who owned a condo in the area. Excellent I thought, I can gather a little local knowledge on the way. I do not have his permission to be in my trip report, so I am going to keep some of the details vague.

I was already wondering just how 'hedonistic' the whole Negril area was going to be. After all, there was a whole resort dedicated to the theme. I had read GerryG123's trip report from May 2011, which led me to believe you didn't need to be at Hedo to have a hedo good time. At the same time, there were reports from folks who I know wouldn't have darkened the doors of many of places GerryG described and they were having a good time too.

So back to our seat mate. We chatted a bit; I asked inane questions and he provided good information. Conversation started trending towards things I wouldn't normally go to with a virtual stranger (of the drugs and eventually sex variety). Whatever, I think folks should do what makes them feel good and I am not easily offended. I can smile and nod with the best of them. Now he's describing his girlfriend, offering to buy drinks and wondering how we are getting to our resort.

Ok, so Sunshine is in the middle seat pretty much ignoring the conversation reading his book as we talk across him. I mean, if I was on my own, I would be sure this guy had more on his mind that just killing time. But my husband is right there, so this is just weird. Wait for it...wait for it...I can be a bit dense. "Holy crap, this guy is trying to pick us both up!!!!" Add another to the list of firsts for the day. I hadn't even thought to put that one on list.

Sometimes body language can say so much more than words and in so much faster and kinder a way. As we approached Cuba, Sunshine had to use the toilet. I had a 'moment' with our seat mate as he pointed something out to me out the window. He leaned in, I leaned out and just like that everyone knew the score. Regardless, if I was wondering what kind of place I had signed us up for before, now I am really questioning things.

It was a bit cloudy over Jamaica when got within sight, but as we broke through the clouds and I caught our first glimpse, I was already in love. I admit I was a bit nervous for our landing. I had seen pictures of the runway to the ocean and I really hoped we didn't miss. I had to capture the moment on video (which I will post, but the tech is working against me right now).

Our seat mate's helpful hints continued and though he did pass on his Negril number I never did see fit to call. As we were negotiating the airport he pointed us towards the right lines and in twenty-minutes we were clear of customs and headed towards our bus transfers.

So we pour out of customs into the hall with all the tour operators. Our vacation included transfers with JTL. We found everyone in the hall very helpful at pointing us in the right direction. There certainly was no shortage of people ready to help and I didn't find people were pushy.

There was a very friendly fellow making sure that only one from each party was in line at JTL, so I headed up with our vouchers and Sunshine cared for our luggage. I am extremely paranoid about taking my eyes of my bags at the airport and after more than a decade of travelling together, Sunshine has learned to play along.

It took only a few minutes to get through the process and then we were out to the buses. There was one to Negril just about ready to go, so we were underway only moments after we got on board.

The bus was older, but functional. The driver kept up a bit of a dialogue of sites as we passed through Montego Bay. I was having a bit of trouble understanding him, but I was so overwhelmed with the sights and sounds that it didn't much matter to me. Reflecting back on that drive, I can recollect very little of the first half of the trip. The whole thing was a bit of a blur.

Just outside of MoBay, the bus pulled in somewhere which gave us all a chance to pick up some beverages. It was time for the first Red Stripes of the trip.

Continuing along, we started the process of dropping off all the AI guests. First stop, Grand Palladium followed by both RIU and Couples or Sandals or Breezes. Sunshine was laughing as we pulled away from the last AI, "I didn't know you could do so many variations on the 'tropical' theme. I am so glad we aren't staying in one of those."

With the AIs done, there are only two other people on the bus and Rooms would be the last stop.
    Last edited by CherryNorth49; 11-10-2012 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

The bus driver said something that sounded nice as he dropped us off, but I didn't quite catch it. Security welcomed us and pointed us to the front office. We head in and we are expected. The front desk lady pulls out a form, confirms the information is correct and gives us room keys, drink vouchers and towel chits. Inside of three minutes we were done. I'm thinking to myself this is a bit weird. I mean, I know we have prepaid, but don't you want to at least get a credit card imprint? Shouldn't I have to sign something? Guess they really do things more casually in Jamaica.

We get to our room and it is fine. It is on the first floor in not a great location, located right near the main office. Since it is on the main path, the patio is not at all private and it feels like everyone walking by is staring into the room. But who cares, we are in Jamaica.

Bags dropped in the room, our first order of business is heading down the beach. At this point is about 4:30 and sunset will be here soon. My goal was to get to the hotel before sunset, so mission accomplished. I was nervous heading out to the beach, having heard so much about the hustlers who ply their trade there. I was happy knowing that Rooms had a bit of a wall, so at least there was something to retreat behind.

We had not yet closed the last 10 feet to the beach wall when young fellow calls over to us from the other side, "Hey, you're from Winnipeg, right?"

"Pardon me?" I say.

"You, you're from Winnipeg."

I glance at Sunshine and down at myself. Nope, no sports gear giveaways or the like on either of us.

This is not cool. Who is this guy and how does he know where we are from? If I wasn't freaked by the hustle before, I sure am now. I'm not proud to say it, but my first visit to the beach lasted less than two minutes and I all but ran away.

I quickly suggest we head back to the room and pour ourselves a drink. That accomplished, we again attempt to head for the beach, drinks in hand. We are here for a week; I am going to have to leave the room sometime. I also promised Sunshine subs and he anxious to sample the local wares.

This time as we walk towards the wall, an older Rasta wanders over, claiming he thought we were some German friends of his. We exchange a few pleasantries; he asks us if we need a sandwich. We express some interest. He assures us that if a snow cone is more our style, he can help with that or most anything else we might want or need. We politely declined but did sort some cold cuts out.

I don't know what a sub ought to cost in a place where cold cuts seem to almost spring up in the ditches, but I know we got taken to the cleaners. I also know that this will the one and only time I ever make that sort of transaction on the beach. It was an unnerving experience, but neither of us was in jail, so it was time to get on with just enjoying the moment.

We picked a piece of real estate on the wall and watched our first Jamaican sunset.

As the sunlight faded, our drinks ran low and we headed back to the room for refills. Sunshine was also anxious to get to a sub. He has the fine motor skills of a bull moose, so sandwich making falls to me.

User Info Menu

I will finish this chapter today, but I have a family birthday dinner that I have to get through first