Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: The day Bounce Across Jamaica came to Accompong Town

User Info Menu

The day Bounce Across Jamaica came to Accompong Town

Just the other day, Dondi Brideau of “Bounce Across Jamaica” arrived in Accompong Town with his van full of used and new soccer equipment donated mostly from the US and Canada. For those who are not familiar with “Bounce Across Jamaica” let me simply say that Dondi has been delivering soccer equipment since the early ’70s to communities all across Jamaica. From Tivoli Gardens to Waterhouse; Gaza to Spanish Town and all over Jamaica bearing the simple motto that “Every Child Deserves a Ball”.

Name:  Soccer1.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  57.5 KB

Although Dondi has been here once before, the community did not know just what soccer goodies that his van contained but the word soon spread.

Name:  Soccer2.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  94.4 KB

Soon he was sorting through bags of equipment looking for just the right set of uniforms to outfit a 7-man team as well as an appropriate goalie uniform to complete a team.

Name:  Soccer3.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  56.2 KB

Even some of the younger children benefited from some smaller uniforms and athletic socks. There was no pushing and shoving as each youth waited patiently for his or her turn. Dondi has a passion to equip girl teams and to train them to be completive in a mostly boy dominated sport.

Name:  Soccer4.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  38.0 KB

When it came time to hand out the balls, every child was as excited as on Christmas morning. A couple of dozen balls went out to children of all ages as he had even small Size 3 balls for the littlest citizens. He prefers to start with the youngest children so they can benefit from early training and development into Premier Class players.

Name:  Soccer5.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  61.2 KB

The local 7-man team was proud to wear matching uniforms as they previously none and even without uniforms the managed to place 2nd in a Saint Elizabeth tournament.

Name:  Soccer6.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  56.9 KB

The dire need for soccer shoes was never more evident that in this photo as some had to compete in bare feet.

Name:  Soccer7.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  44.3 KB

A local 7-man team from the surrounding communities of Aberdeen, Quick Step, Wait-a-Bit and Whitehall came to play on the Accompong Ball Field. The traditional greeting of players and officials was played out just like the professional teams.

Name:  Soccer8.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  58.0 KB

Following a game won by the Accompong 7, the two teams posed for a group picture. Dondi also donated some extra balls to the Primary School for all the students to use during recess. It is so amazing to see what just a few balls and some matching equipment can do for a community.

Name:  Soccer9.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  82.2 KB

Since that day, all around the community boys and girls had a ball to play with and to pretend to be like the players they idolize. This was a day that would not be soon forgotten in this small mountain town. It is one thing to just say, “Every Child Deserves a Ball” and quite another to actually take the time to do just that again and again. Big Up to a man who makes a difference in the lives of Jamaica’s children.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: The day Bounce Across Jamaica came to Accompong Town

That is a great story Accompong. I have a soccer story of sorts, not near as generous as yours, but one I have fond memories of quite often! Back in 2008 I gave two brand new soccer balls, out of the 6 I brought down to a couple of young men who were working the sail boats at the RIU. They were kicking around a beat up old volley ball that was retired from the sand court there at the resort. For my birthday I figured I would give them two new balls...in turn they gave me the old beat up volley ball to take back to my son, who is now getting ready to play soccer in college, to show him the equipment that they play the game of soccer with everyday. That same volley ball still sits up on his shelf to this day next to other treasured items he has! The smile on those guys faces and my son's smile when they all recieved each ball was the best birthday present I've gotten in a long while! The other 4 balls went to workers on the resort that had kids...I'm hoping their smiles were just as big!!

User Info Menu

Accompong & Butch...Great stories...Wouldn't it be nice if there was more of these thoughtful and kind things happening each day?

User Info Menu

I have brought down some soccer balls and shoes a few times, and am sure they are well used by now. Great pictures and story.
    Trip #59 most of February