Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223

Thread: 40 years later

User Info Menu

Re: 40 years later

Piggymon, is that the same Jason whose family owned the place on the cliffs that they sold to the group from rock house?

User Info Menu

Fantastic thread.

User Info Menu

Mmm. Could be. Not sure. Maybe Ms. Light-a was Ms. Lena. they had a house with 4-6 shacks in the back. Outdoor shower and toilet. There was an A framed house directly across the street. Don't know if he owned it. He had a restaurant. Simple, open air, thatched roof. Local police used to eat there and play checkers. They were delightful people, who let me extend my vacation even after I told them I had no money left to pay them. I think our shacks were 5 bucks a night. Thanks for responding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candy man View Post
    Mmm. Could be. Not sure. Maybe Ms. Light-a was Ms. Lena. they had a house with 4-6 shacks in the back. Outdoor shower and toilet. There was an A framed house directly across the street. Don't know if he owned it. He had a restaurant. Simple, open air, thatched roof. Local police used to eat there and play checkers. They were delightful people, who let me extend my vacation even after I told them I had no money left to pay them. I think our shacks were 5 bucks a night. Thanks for responding.
    It does sound like it was Donaldson's Inn. Way back then it may have been called just Miss Lena's.

User Info Menu

WOW.... we were there in '72 & after years of trying we did finally buy the land where the red canoe in your pic is.....NIRVANA!

also recognize White Sands driveway with George on his bike & the walk way down to the beach

thanks for your post it brings a tear to me eye

User Info Menu

Great thread, stories and photos. Most enjoyable for an semi-old timer. Where was the Negril Sands located on the beach? What's in it's place currently? Where was Negril Sandy Park? I heard stories that the Tamboo and Yellowbird were some of the first places on the beach. Can you confirm? Any stories of the Yellowbird you can share?

User Info Menu

Wow how did this thread elude me for almost a full year? Great stuff! I Will need some time to read through it all.

Not to change the subject too much but I ran some numbers based on what was provided in the OP. In 1971 minimum wage in the US was indeed $1.60. Adjusted for inflation today that would be the equivalent of $9.33. $90 for airfare would be $524.78 in today's dollars (about what I paid for my ticket this year).

I like to point this out whenever I see\hear someone say "I was only paid" or "minimum wage was only X back in 19XX". Minimum wage has almost always paid more than what it does today when adjusted for inflation.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15