Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 years later

User Info Menu

Re: 40 years later

We must have run into each other at one time or another. I kept boats at Sands when Hans was still alive and later with Elenore after he died.

The big house was "Our Pastime". When they died Nord Weary inherited it. He sold it and started the villa of the same name he has now in another location.

I'm in Negril now but I'd love to swap stories. We were just stopped up in Red Ground with some boardies after a visit to the yard.

The Negril the visitors of today know started right there.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks Piggymon! Oh how I wish I would have found Jamaica back in those days! I'm can still enjoy Negril at my age but to be down there in my twenties would have been something else!

And rjonsun.....I read your cave trip again.

Good Stuff!!
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I stayed at Mrs. Rubys in 69 and 70. The flight from Miami was $56. round trip and the exchange rate was .80 to $1. US.
    The Reef was spectacular back then. I enjoyed seeing the Conch Shell hill in the beach photo. That is something that we don't see much of any more. You are spot on about Mrs. Ruby. She was like a mom to so many of us young travelers.

User Info Menu

Hard to believe this was a few years before americans en masse had even heard of Bob Marley and the Wailers, much less Chris Blackwell, I wonder if folks even knew what "reggae" was back then....Calypso, I'm sure...guess James Bond and Harry Belafonte were all folks could relate to the island then

User Info Menu

our first was in mid 80's and a store like Best Buy had 2 Bob Marley Cassettes, and this is Rockford, Il I'm referring to...ask most people, the reply was who?
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    We must have run into each other at one time or another. I kept boats at Sands when Hans was still alive and later with Elenore after he died.

The big house was "Our Pastime". When they died Nord Weary inherited it. He sold it and started the villa of the same name he has now in another location.

I'm in Negril now but I'd love to swap stories. We were just stopped up in Red Ground with some boardies after a visit to the yard.

The Negril the visitors of today know started right there.
    Hans and Eleanor, I had forgotten their names. It seems like there was a sign in the Sands that notified everyone that Eleanor was the "Brown Butch of the Beach"."

"Our Pastime" That's right! Wow, that was a heck of a place. Pretty much all by itself. Very big and nice, without being ostentatious, gaudy, or out of place.

Thank you, Captain D.

I read in this forum that there was talk of Paul and Linda McCartney visiting Negril. On one of my many walks from one end of Long Island to the other and back, I ran across the McCartney family on the beach. I had heard that they were in town. Wanting to respect their privacy, I gave them a nod and kept on trucking. But Linda called me over and we had a nice little chat. Paul was going to go water skiing and I managed to get myself in the background of the picture. The kids were beautiful. I had a great photo of a sweet little blond girl and one of Linda vamping for a photo, but I have managed to lose or misplace them.

Name:  PAULNRCH.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  PAUL_BK.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  29.0 KB

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
    Do you know what became of Steve Sharp and Erica and their son?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I stayed at Mrs. Rubys in 69 and 70. The flight from Miami was $56. round trip and the exchange rate was .80 to $1. US.
    The Reef was spectacular back then. I enjoyed seeing the Conch Shell hill in the beach photo. That is something that we don't see much of any more. You are spot on about Mrs. Ruby. She was like a mom to so many of us young travelers.
    Wow, Nick, I am a Johnny Come Lately compared to you. I remember being woke up by Bosco or A'Bosco, an older guy who had a house next door to Tip Top Cottages. Later he moved down toward the Roundabout and had a little bit of ground and grew ganga there. It was really early, with the roosters perched in the trees on Mrs. Ruby's yard crowing. I was in bed with a girl I had met the night before.

When I got out of bed to go visit Bosco, she moaned a little and tried to grab me, but I kept going.

I went over and sat on the stoop with Bosco and his buddies and tried to match them hit for hit on the chalice. Bosco made a bigger cloud of smoke come out of nostrils, but I held mine longer and let that ganga work its magic.

The girl was mad at me when I got back, but she was soon ecstatic as we engaged in some early morning, ganga enhanced love making.

User Info Menu

Piggymon this is the stuff books are made of! Your first set of pics, the one of the little girl, made me smile... I'm guessing she & I would be ab the same age... wonder where she is now I so enjoy the back in the day stories & oh how I wish I could have some of my own. These stories make me so jealous, but at the same time they make me adore JA even more!

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

message to piggymon anfd rjsun. would love to chit chat to you guys about my second favorite subject(wife and kids first) will be heading down in feb for what i am calling my 40 and counting Negril tour. first year 1974 and would still be staying in red ground if they had't torn down the place i stayed at the old pal cottages just a bit down the road from grandma porters.Mosely family . you might remember uncle Dan , Ms. Pernell and Dalton all who have passed. Patrick is the patriarch now.

User Info Menu

Piggymon. That Chalice brings back some memories. When I first reached Mrs. Rubies after taking de bus from Montego, My friend and traveling buddy Pete the Freak went out looking for revolutionaries and returned with these Rasta guys. well it was dark and with no electricity then on Red Ground we lit a hurricane lamp, a mosquito coil and the Rasta guys broke out the chalice. There seemed to be a competition to see who could make the largest cloud and then inhale it. Thank God there were no cars back then because I ended up earning my nick name for that reach, "The guy who slept in the road all night long" Oh and BTW that Photo of Paul is priceless. You might want to send him a copy. I wish I would have brought a camera back then, but when you are young you never figgure that things will change.