Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 years later

User Info Menu

Re: 40 years later

What became of Erica? I know that she married a white American, Steve, and had a son with him, named Jason, if I recall correctly. Used to buy balloons in Miami and bring them to Jason to play with. Can anyone on the site tell me what happened to Steve and Jason?

Piggymon, any idea how old Jason might be now? I believe I might know him.

User Info Menu

paul mccartney- we heard they were at the sundowner when we were there in 74. Piggymon think that was when u saw them ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    message to piggymon anfd rjsun. would love to chit chat to you guys about my second favorite subject(wife and kids first) will be heading down in feb for what i am calling my 40 and counting Negril tour. first year 1974 and would still be staying in red ground if they had't torn down the place i stayed at the old pal cottages just a bit down the road from grandma porters.Mosely family . you might remember uncle Dan , Ms. Pernell and Dalton all who have passed. Patrick is the patriarch now.

Uncle Dan, was he the one who owned the donkey? The braying of the donkey, along with the crowing of the roosters, mooing of Knockie's milk cow, the thump of bass from the dancehall, and the snarl of motorbikes made a lovely background music.

User Info Menu

1974 sounds about right, OS. I had been going to Negril for a while, actually every chance I could get, but the beach was still mostly wild and unclaimed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JamericanNC View Post
    Piggymon, any idea how old Jason might be now? I believe I might know him.
    I would guess that Jason was born in 1976 or 1977. That would make him 37 or 38 or so. Steve's last name was Sharp, although I am not sure how he spelled it, so that should be Jason's name too, since they were married.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garysteph1018 View Post
    Piggymon this is the stuff books are made of! Your first set of pics, the one of the little girl, made me smile... I'm guessing she & I would be ab the same age... wonder where she is now I so enjoy the back in the day stories & oh how I wish I could have some of my own. These stories make me so jealous, but at the same time they make me adore JA even more!
    That was one cute little girl. She was not too sure about me. I loved the bit of the dirty look that she was giving me. Her slightly older brother was very friendly.

If you like stories about back in the day, reading this forum and doing some searching, I found that a guy who posts on this forum wrote a book about what Negril was like back in the day. Of course it is a novel and so it has a bit of The Boxcar Kids or Robinson Crusoe flavor to it, but there is a still a lot of good information and it captures the spirit of the times very well. I downloaded it from Lulu for $10 and read it that same afternoon in one sitting.

Island Odyssey: Ghetto Flowers in Paradise

By Francis Oliver Lynn
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/francis-oli...-20592072.html

Perhaps you would like to download a copy and read about the good old days in Negril.

User Info Menu

This may ring a few bells 1982
    Name:  Untitled-18.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  12.4 KB

User Info Menu

OMG!!! You, Piggymon, are now of "rockstar/hero" status to me. You swam and hung out on the beach with A BEATLE!!! My favorite one too!! That must have been amazing...to get to talk to them as real people instead of the babylon type setting. Big ups to you!!! Your pic made my day!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    I'm not sure but that looks like what's now known as "the chinamon store" next to Burger King without the bars on the windows and doors. If we could only turn back time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    Oh yes, I remember that place. That is where we would buy our Appleton Rum. That Overproof stuff was wicked. I remember at least one tourist dying from drinking that in a drinking contest. The winner of the contest, or at least the one who did not die, told me about that night.

Remember how the Wharf Club across the street had a picture of JFK behind the bar? That always seemed a little strange that he was held in such high regard by Jamaicans.

The Wharf Club had a circular cental section that was elevated a bit, so that you had a good view of the whole place while eating your curried chicken or curried goat and rice. They used to butcher the goats out back in the morning.

They also sold chunks of smoked fish from a little glass case on the bar. I lived for a week on a chunk of fish and a red stripe a day when I ran out of money but did not want to leave.