Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car rental

User Info Menu

Car rental

@ how much does it cost per week?

@ are the roads from montego bay to negril clearly sign posted?

@ will you need a sat nav?

@do they come with sat nav/can you hire sat nav/should you bring your own/would your own work?

@ how much does it cost in diesel to get from montego bay to negril

@ do you get a full tank or will we run out on the way?

User Info Menu

HI. I rent every year, and have paid a lot in years past, but the prices have come way down. I recommend it if you have had a lot of experience in Jamaica, know the roads, know the driving patterns, and know how to leave tons of following distance. This past year I rented from Hertz and paid a total of $208 for the week. And the car was great. Nadia, at the Hertz counter, is good to work with. The reason my cost was low was that I used a World Master Card, Gold level. Anything less and it doesn't cover the CDW, which can be very expensive, and have a co-pay if there is an accident.

The roads aren't always clearly marked. And I have a few different ways that I go over to Negril. Usually I take the "new road" which is relatively fast, so I figure about an hour and a half with a couple of brief stops. Change money, get groceries, and all that. I'm not sure if a sat/nav works in Jamaica, or if it did, would keep you out of trouble. I won't use one here or in Europe, since they can get you into places you don't want to be, or simply get you on the wrong roads.

As far as diesel prices, I have no idea. I've always used petrol, and never spent more than $40 or $50 for the week, and we go a lot of places.

Whether the car company gives you a full tank or empty depends on the company. Prospective always gave us a vehicle with nothing but fumes in the tank, and we considered ourselves lucky to get to the petrol station at the airport, or the shell station in MoBay. Hertz gave us a full tank, and the car was spotless and everything worked correctly. Quite a change from when I was renting a Lada!

If you're cautious, know the runnings, and have a good credit card, or are willing to pay the CDW, I'd go for it!

The freedom it gives you is worth everything there.

Dave
    It's these changes in latitude, changes in attitude
    Nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

We rent from Island Cruiser Jamaica. The rental is negotiable as to what the prices are. The cars are based on a Toyota Tercel so it's reliable and good on gas. From Negril to YS Falls and back was about 1/4 tank, roughly about 8 dollars usd. Roads are semi clearly marked, then again, there's only really 2 routes to Negril, one goes through Sav the other goes by the seaside.

It's easy to navigate the roads, no need for satnav. Most roads are not marked on the GPS anyway.

We usually rent 2 or 3 cruisers at a time, and (ours is the one in back), the roof comes off for the entire trip.

Last edited by Joe Trinidad; 06-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

So can you only book these cars if you have a credit card?
    Did you find the tourist open top cars to attract any unwanted attention?
    how do you plan your journey ?
    I am confident my husband will be able to drive fine over there as Jamaica is the same side of the road as England and he is a very good driver.
    I am confident about that part.
    I just do not want to start getting lost down long winding roads in the middle of nowhere and it start to get dark and we run out of gas!
    We need to go to a lot of places though and it seems renting a car this time for the first time would make sense.
    We always spend around $200 per one way journey as we are a family and get charged per person and we usually need quite a lot of journeys plus transfers so it really mounts up.

User Info Menu

I've been 7 times to Jamaica, but only finally felt capable of driving there the last 2 trips. And that was after alot of asking taxi drivers questions about why they did certain things - honking horn, flashing headlights, etc.
    If you've never been, I wouldn't recommend it on a first trip. The left-hand side of the road driving was the LEAST thing I had to get used to.
    Even if your husband is used to that, the big problem is adjusting your driving techniques to the way they drive there. I hear the closest comparison in Europe is driving in Italy.
    For instance, drivers will pass at any time without regard to other cars on the road. Even if there's 10 cars in a line, they will just pass and if a car comes they force their way back in the line.
    Route taxis suddenly stop to pickup people along side the road - or jump back into traffic flow after a stop.
    Also people, dogs, goats, etc walking along the road, or worse in the road. And having to either swerve to dodge small potholes, or brake hard to go thru them very slowly.
    Add to that the roads are very poorly marked (except the main highways) and almost no street lighting for night driving except in biggest towns.

If your first trip, I would really suggest taking a taxi from the airport to Negril - to get a sense of it first - should only be about $US60-80 for a family of 4-5.
    Then if you still want to rent, rent from an agency in Negril - or have a rental car delivered from MoBay airport if you plan to use it to get back to the airport at the end of your trip - only adds about $US30. That is what I did since I only wanted the car my final week.

OK, now that I've given you all the reasons not to rent - I agree renting a car is the best way to see the sights OUTSIDE of Negril.
    If you just need to get around Negril - there is no need to rent with the cheap route taxis at just $100J/person.
    If you want to take in several day-trips, though, you are right - you could easily spend more on tours than on your hotel. Renting a car makes it WAY more economical.

I used Island Rentals - no office in Negril, but as I said they deliver from MoBay airport. Reason I used them was they offer 24hr breakdown service anywhere on the island (which I never needed), they have newer cars, and they are reputable. You can pre-arrange everything using their website:
    http://www.islandcarrentals.com/Home.aspx
    A car like a Toyota Yaris (seats 5, Auto transmission, A/C) is about $US215/week. I worried I might need 4WD, but I found I could go everywhere without it - worst roads I hit were to Accompong (very broken up).
    Just like VtDave said, I also got a World MasterCard for renting a car in Jamaica - got it specifically to avoid having to buy the CDW. Very few credit cards cover CDW in Jamaica - if you have to buy, it will usually about double the cost of the rental car.
    And to answer your question, a credit card is the only practical way to rent there - otherwise they will want a HUGE cash deposit.

For planning my trips before I got there, I found this road map very helpful - http://www.jamaicancaves.org/jamaica-road-map.htm
    But once there, I would suggest your first stop be a Texaco gas station for one of their island maps - invaluable and only about $US5-7 if I remember right.

A few other tips:
    1)Plan your trips so you don't have to drive at night - very poor lighting and the dogs, goats, cows can really freak you out - plus you can't see the killer potholes until you are on them.
    2)Fill up the tank once you hit 1/4 left. They do the pumping - there is no self-service. Many take credit cards, but ask first.
    3)Many roads out in the country are narrow and winding up-and-down hills. When rounding curves, you tap the horn a few times in case a car is coming the other way - and do it liberally.
    4)Petty theft is a big problem. Put everything in the trunk to avoid "opportunity theft" when you leave the car.
    5)Best tip someone gave me about asking for directions...don't ask how to get to your final destination, instead ask how to get to the next town shown on your map. Many Jamaicans don't drive and won't know how to get to a far off place - but you can bet they know the area within 5-10 miles of their homes very well and which roads go to what nearby towns. I found this to be true several times, and it worked every time.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 06-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

I personally love the freedom of driving. I find having a good map to be of help, but honestly, the best help is just asking as you go along, if you're wondering if you're going the right way stop when you see someone along the road and ask if you are on the right road to .....(wherever you are going). I was very intimidated when I first started driving in Jamaica, I remember very clearly my first time driving to Montego Bay and how I was so scared to do it, but then I got the hang of it, and part of it was my fear of looking stupid and having to ask if I'm going the right way...then I realized how many Jamaicans do it too. For years now I've driven all over the island, and done much of it solo, including kingston (which I wouldn't recommend unless you are familiar with it). For gas, just keep filling up between 1/4-1/2 tank and you'll be fine. As someone else said, keep valuables in the trunk. Get FULL insurance, even though you pay more, it's totally worth the piece of mind you get knowing you don't have a $1500 to $3000 deductable if something happens (and things happen easily to cars here as I'm sure you know). Also, keep in mind luggage space (this is something I always forget when renting a car somewhere else), make sure the trunk can hold the amount of luggage you and your passengers will have. The amount of freedom you'll get from renting a car rather than relying on other ways of transport will be worth it.

User Info Menu

Hi Tictoc,

We usually pay cash as that's the preferred route. You can give them a call and reserve the car, you can negotiate the rate "with insurance", and they will provide you with the insurance certificate. Let them know that Joe Trinidad sent you, I'd be surprised if they don't remember me since we've been renting from them for over 8 years, and have visited Marzuka at his place for lunch and dinner several times in Sav la mar.

For trips, no need to plan, since you're on vacation, it's not that stressful. The journey is as enjoyable as the destination, and you'll love it. If you're new to travelling around the country side, go visit JB (bike rental place) and ask them to send a message to my buddy Chris. (see picture below, the guy holding the lobster) He's one of the nicest guides you'll ever meet and is extremely reasonable. You'll have the time of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by TiCtOc View Post
    So can you only book these cars if you have a credit card?
    Did you find the tourist open top cars to attract any unwanted attention?
    how do you plan your journey ?
    I am confident my husband will be able to drive fine over there as Jamaica is the same side of the road as England and he is a very good driver.
    I am confident about that part.
    I just do not want to start getting lost down long winding roads in the middle of nowhere and it start to get dark and we run out of gas!
    We need to go to a lot of places though and it seems renting a car this time for the first time would make sense.
    We always spend around $200 per one way journey as we are a family and get charged per person and we usually need quite a lot of journeys plus transfers so it really mounts up.

User Info Menu

Smiling here as I pulled up the jamaica caves map, it is the same model as the one I carry today, has to be going on 20 years old. Phone numbers and directions written in the margins, juice glass and coffee cup rings, it got to be as soft as cotton and I had to clear tape over the whole map to hold it together. An old dear friend indeed.

I guess I wasn't smart enough to worry about the hazards of driving on our first trip to Ja, I climbed behind the wheel of a rental jeep first thing and the adventure has continued every trip in.

I do smile when I see GPS Nav questions. I navigate by picking the wiggliest road that goes through mountains on the map and let my hands be the guide. It's an Island when I hit a coast I know I need to go west back to Negril.

Vigilance good, anxiety bad,,,,,, do not ruin a vacation if your anxiety level is going to turn what should be an adventure into a chore.

MC World is good. Years ago when VISA still covered I had a tire failure and turned a claim in for $1,350.00 J which at that time was about $90.00 U.S.. I didn't really think to much about the receipt having $1,350.00 on it, I figured VISA would see the $90.00 U.S. charge. A few weeks later our reimbursement check came in the mail for $1,350.00 U.S.,,,,, darn Karma I sent it back.

I'll look tonight, I have an old ramble that adresses insurance, tyre security, getting pulled over, etc.
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

Sorry forgot to mention, the open top cars did not attract any unwanted attention, everywhere we went, people were more than accommodating and extremely friendly. They are fun to drive, and the kids love them.

User Info Menu

You could also rent one of these for your kids.. LOL (I'm kidding)