Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

User Info Menu

Question Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

Hi all - My husband and I are coming back to Blue Cave Castle in February. I just discovered my bank doesn't offer travelers cheques any longer. I'm told that they are a thing of the past and I should bring my Visa debit card to the Cambio or the Hi-Lo if I need to get some cash. Any suggestions about this? I don't like to carry lots of cash but I have to support the local economy as best I can and I know folks on the West End perfer Jamaican cash. I sure would appreciate any insight you may be able to offer. I thank you and Jah-Jah bless.

User Info Menu

Re: Travelers Checks versus Debit Card

AAA members get travelers checks with no fee. Otherwise using a debit card at one of the ATMs in town works fine. We have always brought travelers checks and cashed them for $J at the FX Trader by the HiLo, never had a problem.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

You can get money out at any of the ATM/bank machines here as needed with the Visa debit card with no problem.
    The link below from the Things To Do section provides a list of locations around Negril of ATM/bank machines....
    http://negril.com/nt/nt071312.htm

User Info Menu

ATM card is the easiest, best exchange rate and least costly way of getting JA dollars. Especially if you use a bank that doesn't charge large transaction fees.

My bank charges .7% on the amount. 100 US at today's rate is ~ 9,300 JA. Cost would be 70 cents US
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I posted a very similar inquiry yesterday but no one really answered this part of the question:

Can you use a debit card (e.g. Visa Travel Card) to get cash at a cambio?

I agree with using ATMs when possible but I have always used trav. checks as a backup.

User Info Menu

Toomany...according the FXtraders (one of the cambios here) website...you can get cash via debit card. But, let us check further or hopefully someone that has done this will provide info shortly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPurina View Post
    Hi all - My husband and I are coming back to Blue Cave Castle in February. I just discovered my bank doesn't offer travelers cheques any longer. I'm told that they are a thing of the past and I should bring my Visa debit card to the Cambio or the Hi-Lo if I need to get some cash. Any suggestions about this? I don't like to carry lots of cash but I have to support the local economy as best I can and I know folks on the West End perfer Jamaican cash. I sure would appreciate any insight you may be able to offer. I thank you and Jah-Jah bless.

The ATM's have 24 hour access, some of the hotels have them and the ones in town are easily accessible. The cambios however do not often give the same exchange rate as the ATM and are open much fewer hours. Travelers checks are definitely becoming a thing of the past and many bank chains do not any longer offer them as well I know I seen one boardie have trouble cashing Traveler checks last year when we stayed at same location and he was left struggling one night out with no way to get cash after having spent what he had on him even though he had tons of traveler checks. If you are worried about using your linked to bank account you can just get a VISA pre paid card from most any stores near home and use that.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shellyk View Post
    The ATM's have 24 hour access, some of the hotels have them and the ones in town are easily accessible. The cambios however do not often give the same exchange rate as the ATM and are open much fewer hours. Travelers checks are definitely becoming a thing of the past and many bank chains do not any longer offer them as well I know I seen one boardie have trouble cashing Traveler checks last year when we stayed at same location and he was left struggling one night out with no way to get cash after having spent what he had on him even though he had tons of traveler checks. If you are worried about using your linked to bank account you can just get a VISA pre paid card from most any stores near home and use that.

What she said.....!
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I've never had a problem using my CIBC Visa Debit card at the machine next to Hi-Lo or the one in Times Square. I just inform my bank prior to departure that I'll be in Negril Jamaica and for how long.

User Info Menu

Don't remember where I heard this from,but someone told me to be careful with prepaid cards because they sometimes are rejected when trying to use them out of the country they were purchased from! There are cards that are specified for travel to other countries. I will be researching this further myself because I would like to have one. Just food for thought! Wouldn't want to be caught not being able to the card purchased.