Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Negril is better than ever! I am here, and I am having a GOOD time!

User Info Menu

oh and as for that taxi guy I would not bother with him again and his stinky attitude clouding my partying rushing me to go home!plenty more fish in the sea!

User Info Menu

The ex and the kids were going to take a separate vacation one week earlier than this week, so I came up with the idea of instead of being separated from my kids for TWO weeks, this would make more sense -- plus I wanted to enjoy Negril with them. They love this place.

Just woke up from a great sleep. Stay tuned, I will tell ya all bout last nite ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TiCtOc View Post
    oh and as for that taxi guy I would not bother with him again and his stinky attitude clouding my partying rushing me to go home!plenty more fish in the sea!
    Patrick is a good friend of mind for a long time...I'm sorry you had trouble with him. I wish he'd just insisted on a fare with you and if you couldn't pay or didn't want to pay that, let it be the end of it. Every single experience I've had with him has always been positive - and truthfully had you guys not gotten off on the wrong foot he's a great guy that would watch your back. Ah well. Please remember too that its summer and folks are hungry...have a great time and PLEASE be careful!

Oh, and one of those "rules" in Jamaica - do not tell anyone there what you own, where you live etc. They know Corvette is a "fancy car" that rich Americans drive.

User Info Menu

Great report so far Gerry! Glad to have some onsite stories to read while I'm anxiously awaiting my departure! Keep it coming!

Sept 4-13 (Birthday Trip) CCLP/Hills

User Info Menu

I went back to that same roof party last night -- gee, I wonder what drew me in? -- and it was pretty wild once again, though not quite as busy as the night before. It's interesting the clusters of people that hang out at different parts of Negril, and you kind of feel for the areas once you've returned a few times.

The roundabout, and the area just east of it towards Sav, has a certain vibe, a good one, lot of fun-loving folks. The area where you first make the turn to go up the cliffs, those folks look a little grimy, a little more 'street' .... I was on my home last nite on my scooter, and there was a bit of a street fight in that corner .... i wouldn't have thought much of it -- you know how peeps get late at night when they drink -- but this confrontation was especially interesting because there was a WOMAN aggressor. I think they were fighting over a beer because she was trying to grab his bottle, and it looked like a full bottle because beer was squirting about!

I woke up early this morning -- love to get an early start. Took care of business stuff back in Los Angeles, then headed to the Negril farmer's market (ran into it by accident, it's only once a month), and it was quite a scene with folks selling there goods and lots and lots of customers. A very lively scene. I don't think I've seen that many Jamaicans in one spot since the Bob Marley concert!

I pulled in on my scooter, was not wearing a helmet, and eased right next four Negril police officers who were patrolling the event. They didn't say a thing about it, so I even pushed my luck and took some pictures of them posing. I'll post 'em, and I think they're good pics because one of the officers was wearing a bullet proof vest like a swat guy. They were in a great mood!

Since I was so close, and since it's early in the vacation and I have a huge stack of 1000s ($300 cash in Jamaican money makes you feel like a King), I went to the craft market and made the same deal I always make -- eight rasta necklaces for 1000 J. It usually takes about five minutes to find someone willing to do it -- it's just a touch above wholesale. I feel bad, but it is a buyer's market, and maybe the next guy from Europe or something will pay $10 each, but I love to bargain.

The necklaces make good gifts, but I keep a lot of them and wear 'em around. Reminds me of Negril.

User Info Menu

At least your making time for your children.........
    I LEFT MY HEART IN JAMAICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Turtle Towers, Ochie '85~Seawind, MoBay '89~Jamaica Grande, Ochie '99~Pebbles, Falmouth '09~Coco La Palm, Negril '11

http://www.tickerfactory.com/

User Info Menu

It's been another big day today. I picked up the kids and the ex wife -- btw, the girls are 5 and 7 and LOVE to have a great time, just like dad (mom, not so much) -- and we headed to Rhodes Hall in a taxi. I had never been to this place, but it looked nice on the Net, and in fact it's a VERY nice place.

I figured we would pretty much have the place to ourselves, and we did. For five bucks each for three of us (they let the little one in for free), we enjoyed the beach and infinity pool and gazing at the peacocks and spotting a sting ray and catching a little hermit crab and watching horses gallavant around freely, it was just so much fun. We swam together, laughed together, marveled together at all the cool things to see. (btw, there's a wrecked boat there, washed ashore, I figure from storm .... too bad looks like a nice and EXPENSIVE boat).

Then we passed Legends and went all together to Seastar Inn for lunch -- another amazing lunch. These guys cook with love. If, by chance, you're a 'foodie', I beg you to try Seastar. I've ordered the spaghetti and meat sauce like three times already, it's SO good ....

We swam around, threw a ball around, all that fun stuff. Then we taxi'd down to Legends (same route driver whole time, guy is cool, i paid him well -- $40 plus I got a nice bag).

Picked up my Scooter at Legends (btw, they had to switch rooms, AC broke, but now they're even closer to beach) and it was time to head back up the hill. I passed Seastar Inn to go visit my friend Banton, up near the Westender. As I was making the turn just past the bakery, there was a high school kid, in uniform, happily eating a patty. It would have made a great photo, and it's one I can replay in my mind cause I didn't get a shot of him. Then, a few minutes later a mile down the road or so at Bantons, it started to rain.

Oh shoot, I started up the scooter and began heading back to Seastar in case it started pouring. So a few moments later, I see this student again, and by this time he has finished his patty (or put it away), and he is shielding his face from the rain with a school book. Another classic photo op!

So I sat at the bar for bit, finished up my meal (portions are so big, I have them save half for me when I get back) and talked to Francine. She's a really nice lady. She said the farmer's market actually used to be bigger than it was today, but she also said she gets a good wholesale deal, and it's delivered, so she dont shop there every month, though it looked to me like a lot of restaurant owners do get their stuff there.

No plans yet for tonight. I don't want to overdo it cause I have to take care of some work in the morning tomorrow and again on Friday morning to finish it (god I hate working when I'm in Negril, but in the world of internet and cell phones, you're never really 'off').

I think I'll go visit my friend, maybe go to the Cliffs for a little ocean action, maybe pick up the kids later and take 'em to Ricks. One of these nights, I'm going to scrub a dub, and I still want to jump the cliff (shelly k wants pictures 'to see if my form is correct', so I guess I have to get up the nerve ..... If you don't see another report, ya' all will know what happened ....
    Last edited by gerryg123; 06-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Roof Party/Bar

So does this roof party/bar have a name? Seems like I recall it being mentioned on here before.

User Info Menu

NICE~NICE~~~ Have FUN~~ and stay SAFE.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are having a great time. I've been going by and going to Bantons for many years. Pretty much right in my neighborhood.

$40 r/t from Legends to Rhodes Hall? And you gave Patrick a hard time? Just kidding, I'm yanking your chain but yeah...you made that driver's day

Something troubles me about the scooter and the helmet or lack thereof. Sure, the cops will hassle you - and in the process search you head to toe (this is not the USA) and "find" something if they are really hungry/bored. But that will be the least of your troubles if you fall down and go boom on your noggin. Jamaica is not a place where you want to suffer and great treated for a head trauma. I know I love the wind blowing through my hair on the back of a bike...but I also know if I want to keep my hair I'll cover it with a helmet. Please be careful...you have two young souls on the planet that need you around for a good long time.

OK, buzzkill over. Party on dude.