Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My impressions

User Info Menu

Re: My impressions

Ahhhh yessss plenty of gentler, true sanctums can be found in Portland. As a matter of fact, I’m finding it hard to narrow them down to a favorite.

Babalew, Once I saw that down cline the bikes travel I knew I wasn’t getting on one. I give you props for even trying.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and impressions of Port Antonio. Looks like you hit most of my favorite places and that got me eager to do a ticket search for the near future. But I know what’s in my bank account and that means settling for the not so near future. In the meantime, I’m enjoying your postings.

More please…

User Info Menu

Thanks Vi, coming from you that means a lot! I had to try the bike, but common sense soon took over. I should have asked for a tandem bike, then i wouldn't have had to worry about peddling and steering. The ride down in the bike truck was much more pleasurable. I'm in Mandeville right now, wishing I had stayed a few days longer in Port Antonio. It's moved way high up my desirable beach list.

User Info Menu

Babalew - nice string of reports and pics. Interesting, humorous - and good info. Thanks.
    My fiance and I are planning a week there this reach in about 2 weeks. Have heard lots of good things about PA.
    Sounds like you spend your time about the same way we do so I'm particularly interested in your info.

You mentioned a place on Long Bay you might stay in the future less pricey than where you were. Care to share the name in forum? Pls PM me if not.
    I guess best way to put question is, having done it recently and explored the area - where do you plan on staying next time?

I found Moon San doing my hotels research, too - but just a bit out of my price range for all but 1 room.
    If I remember right, the owner also owns the business doing bike tours in the area? Is that how you ended on that bike - LOL?

I got a recommendation from trusted Boardie for Bayview Villas (about a 30 room hotel with pool).
    I trust the recommendation - and looks like my price range (find I have to increase it from what I am used to in Negril about 50% for PA hotels).
    But a second opinion is always good - did you happen to notice it?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks and Blessings.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

buckeye, comparing pa and negril is like apples and oranges . . .

User Info Menu

Buckeye,

what are you looking for exactly?

I would recommend Ivanhoe right in town, super clean...two upstairs room with AC around 60 per night

Also Match Resort in Dolphin Bay (not far from town) rooms come with fridge has a pool

Jamaica Tamboo is also in town and may work for you as well...more like a traditional hotel..but no pool.

Stayed at Fern Hill Aug of last year only the villas were open as the rest were being renovated and under much needed new management...villas needed TLC but may work for you...the villas go by the name of Lasolona or something like that...check flipkey for their listing

There is also a villa that's pretty affordable called Ridge Bay in the Anchovy area (close to town as well)

Glad you are thinking of giving PA a try...so very different from Negril in all the right ways
    Last edited by sammyb; 03-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Enjoyed your photos and impressions!

User Info Menu

Thanks sammyb for the info. Yes - my home-away-from-home has become Negril, but about every other trip now we try somewhere else.
    About a year ago did Treasure Beach on the South Coast for a week, then came back to Negril via Mandeville. Very different vibe than Negril.
    So now is turn for Port Antonio. Am really looking forward to it.

What I am looking for is equivalent to Seastar Inn - if you're familiar. Smaller, family-run, place that is clean, safe and with A/C, pool, comfy bed.
    Others at level I am OK with are Legends, Negril Beach Club Condos, Fun Holiday. So something along those lines - nothing really fancy.
    I guess they've spoiled me with their Seastar Specials and Legends returning guest rates - around $300 for the week. Looks like that will cover me only about 2 days at hotels in PA with similar level of accommodations/amenities.
    So I've resigned myself to a hotel budget in PA of up to $150/day. I know even that is very limiting in PA.
    We treat hotel as only a base from which to explore - store our stuff, sleep, and shower. We'll be away most of the day - so see no sense on getting anything fancy/expensive.

I'm a big guy and the humidity kills me so need A/C to sleep comfortable and a pool for cooling dips after a day out exploring - or be right on the water.
    Ivanhoe's I had found - but no pool. Same for several others that get good reviews otherwise - like Tim Bamboo and most of the B&Bs right in town.

Since hotels are so expensive in PA (compared to Negril) I have been looking at an alternative I've not done yet - the small villa option.
    Not the whole villa, but places that rent out individual rooms. So sammyb, you are on the right track for me.
    But the ones that look really good - San San Villas, Micshur Guest House, Jamaica Colors - that have good price and great reviews don't have room available. Of course.
    So that's another thing different than Negril - usually I show up with only reservation for first night then visit several places and negotiate a rate - never a problem even at Christmas.

I saw the 3 recent reviews for La Solana Villas (old Fern Hill) - like you said, only the villas open while rest being renovated.
    I'm interested in your opinion since you stayed - assuming condition is the same would you return? I'm assuming it would be better now, if anything.
    Also, how long a drive off the main road to it - sounds like is a bad road?
    I should mention we'll have rental car so getting around, grocery shopping, etc is not a problem - even if villa is a bit off the path.

Match Resort and Jamaica Tamboo are places I had not found in my research - Match Resort looks promising, I'll look more.
    The only Jamaica Tamboo I find is the one in Negril - did you mean Jamaica Palace in PA? If so, it's just out of my budget - unless they haggle, like for a weekly rate???

Thanks again - all advice is appreciated.

User Info Menu

Buckeye,

I will reply in the thread Vi started with the title place to stay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    Buckeye,
    I will reply in the thread Vi started with the title place to stay
    sammyb,
    Yes - good thinking.

Babalew,
    sorry for hijacking this thread. I've moved that discussion over to Vi's thread, too.
    Thanks again for PMing me the info you sent.

User Info Menu

Not a problem..i enjoyed the ride.