Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My impressions

User Info Menu

My impressions

I returned to Port Antonio looking for a place that displayed the gentler side of Jamaica and Jamaicans, the

Jamaica I fell in love with even before I came here and esp after my 1st visit in 1976. so this was an

exploratory trip. It was somewhat sheltered, the staff at Moon San Villa took great care of me, i've never

felt so pampered in my life! it is their wish to make sure everything is alright with you. this set the stage

for a calm and peacefulness i would experience during the week. Now I did most things on my own..taking

the route taxi to town, boston beach and jerk center and long bay. when i went out in the evening they

suggested drivers and negotiated some prices for me. Moon san is a little pricey and not my normal type

of digs and i was resistant to it at first but i'd call it casual luxury cause the view from my bed was

amazing! it was someplace i vowed to stay when i visited 7-8 yrs ago . now i can check that off my bucket

list.

I went to town for supplies, got caught in a torrential rain shower, rode back with marion andretti (put my

seatbelt on and prayed) then chuckled to myself all the way home. now mind you these routes are 5x'sas

long as negril routes (for the same 100j) so we road for about 10 mins. i was so glad when we got to

moon san.

i went to rasta villa to check it out..opposite side of the beach up a hill, lots of stairs, several rooms some

connected and some shared bathrooms. i didn't see the penthouse room caue it was up a lot of stairs but

i bet the sea view was fab. restaurant on the premise, owner is the cook also an artist. 1 of his friends

dropped by and gave me a history lesson on the taino indians , columbus and the fight with the english,

very enlightening. made me want to have him take me to moore town the next day but it was rainy and

the road is not good. we went to the beach which was very nice and had a few drinks at a beachside

bar. good time was had by all. i later learned of a property in long bay on the beach that was reasonably

priced. it has a kitchen so thats up my alley. have to check into that.

had another jamaican lesson that evening as friend flagged down a taxi for me..now seeing as how i'm a

fluffy girl, i usually wait for a taxi with an empty front seat but because it was getting dark i took a cab

with some room in the back seat. as my friend folded me into the back seat the driver asked the lady in

the front seat to move to the back so that i could sit in the front. i immediately protested..this lady was

older and almost as big as me so why displace her, i thought he was catering to me as a tourist but i felt i

could endure the ride in the back...as it was. driver said " no, i can get TWO people in the back". when

the reality of what he was saying hit me i burst out laughing! and don't think the women in the back didn't

talk about me...." i was wondering how we were going to get more people in with fatty back here" we

changed seats and i chuckled all the way home. now i know why some taxis may pass me by in negril.

going out in the boat into the blue lagoon was an experience also. and seeing the homes of the rich and

famous was interesting. i swam in the blue lagoon and the mineral springs on the property and at the

boston beach and was in heaven. the folks in pa are much more laid back..not as aggressive as negril, less

competition. 1 beach lady showed me how they make a wood fire to cook fish and yams and encouraged

me to take pictures. they love to have their picture taken.

port antonio might be just what i'm looking for sun sand peace and quiet. lush green with plenty of fresh

produce i found 13 large juicy lemons, grapefruit and jack/kingfruit up in the blue mountains where i road a

bike around 2 curves before quitting i haven't ridden a bike in 50 yrs and with these bad legs i ain't going to

ride again for another 50 unless its stationary but i wanted to try....we'll see. i'm adding some more

pictures hope you enjoyed.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

User Info Menu

Re: My impressions

Hahaha Love your rundown, made me LOL couple times. Pampered aint a necessity but it sure is nice from time to time....good on you GF

DAAAANG. Check out that mansion. Kinda crazy to think that's sitting right smack dab in the midst of so many living in need. Beautiful though...
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Nice report Babalew, good to see you posting! PA is on my bucket list for sure!

User Info Menu

Hey Goldi...look for you every yr..any chance i'll see you this year...yes pa looked promising you know i have to be near water, this might fit the bill.
    Tizzy that mansion is the trident hotel owned by jamaican/canadian who also owns about 150 properties including the nbc bank in jamaica.

User Info Menu

I'm looking at either mid-April or June; not sure where I'll end up yet! but it will be by the sea and at least a few days in Negril!

User Info Menu

wow i'll have to google that....so hypothetically one can stay there? Bet that's a pretty $.01
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Jim and I really enjoyed the way things roll in Porty. Like your writing style and pictures. The Trident Castle is so Cool
    Last edited by Jim-Donna; 02-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Tizzy its real affordable NOT~~ LOL
    Villa Rates
    Bedrooms Summer
    April 16 - Dec 14 Winter
    Dec 15 - April 15 Thanksgiving Christmas New Year
    8 $13,860 $26,600 - $35,000 $35,000

Rates are weekly and stated in United States Dollars (USD).

All rates are subject to change at any time and can be confirmed at time of reservation.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Holy Moly

Just a little outta my budget. darn lol
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

love your reflections....your photos have me longing for a return......PA has a way of getting under your skin and not letting go....almost gave up on Jamaica after one too many trips to Negril, but then I rediscovered PA and the rest is history. Moon San looks so inviting, nice to hear your take on the place. Your postings warmed my heart on this cold evening....thanks!