Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambio

User Info Menu

Cambio

Can somebody please explain what they are?? Can you pull money out like an ATM ?? Or is it just for turning $$ into ja$ iam a little confused

User Info Menu

Re: Cambio

It's where you exchange currency only
    Choochy420

User Info Menu

I see, thank you.. So maybe someone can explain why it's better to use ja$ over us$ when there are bank fees plus exchange rates

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Cambios exchange currency. They usually post the rates on the window outside and inside the building. Don't exchange at the airport, they always have the lowest rates. I think using ja currency helps the local economy.

User Info Menu

Just an example, we'll say a beer costs 250 J or 3 US

250j = 2.45 US so your beer is much cheaper in JA funds

Many places round up when quoting US prices because they have no change , never in your favour

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rasta Stan; 03-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Give thanks! I was under the impression that most places would price things like 100j or 1$ 500j=5$ type thing.. Makes more since then.. I appreciate the help.. Google doesn't respond to my questions lol

User Info Menu

Hotels and restaurants rarely give as good an exchange rate as a Cambio or even an ATM. NEVER change US to JMD at the airport. NEVER change US to JMD at a US bank before you leave. Oh, it is often not wise to change money on the streets in JA.

User Info Menu

While cambios give you a little less than the BANK rate ,it is not much, the biggest thing in paying Ja is you got it for say 96 to 1, a hotel or bar will only give you say 90 to1 , if they say the beer is 3 dollars, that would be 3x90 or 270 Ja not the cambio rate of 96x3 or 288 Ja! You just saved 18 Ja by using cambio money. All things are in a drunks frame of beer prices!

User Info Menu

Rule of thumb: If the prices are listed in $J pay with $J. If the prices are listed in $US pay with $US. That way there is no loss of in exchange.

User Info Menu

In my experience boardies have more, and much better answers than Google......