Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sim cards

User Info Menu

Re: Sim cards

Quote Originally Posted by Thatswhatshesaid View Post
    Not sure about sim only, but I bought a phone with 600 international minutes from Lime for around $30US....obviously it came with a sim...if I want to keep it active I just need to add some minutes every 30 days I think.
    This is what I received via my email inquiry regarding how long the SIM stays active with Lime:

"the expiration time period begins based upon your expiration date of your last top up. After the expiration date has passed; there will be a 120 day period in which you will be able to top up and still retain the credit. After that you will have another 60 days to top up and if this is not done, you will lose the service entirely."

So the expiration period of the last top up would be 30 days, 30 + 120 + 60 = 210 days before your SIM would need replacement. I did see a post here a while ago where someone said that it was almost a year later (since their last trip) and they topped up online just before leaving and everything worked great.

There is a LIME desk in Mega Mart in Montego Bay. I stopped there the last week in November 2012 to get supplies and discovered the desk there and bought my phone CHEAP. It was $1000j for phone, sim & $100j in minutes. If you have a private driver, tell him you want to buy a phone/sim on the way to Negril. He should quickly be able to find a way to place a phone or sim in your hands.

SHEBA was it a digicel sim that you couldn't find?

User Info Menu

We were there end of Jan and had no problem getting a SIM card from the Digicel near Burger King. They had none at the exact time we got there (10ish in the morning) but they said they would be in by 12:30 - and they were. We were up and running by 1 pm! No problem!

User Info Menu

the one near the burger king had none. my local friends said they have been looking and never any there! ok i think im going to get my driver to take me to one in mobay... i just want a sim card now as im tired of having a new phone and no card.

Thank you everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BayLaker View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? If I need a new SIM card for a phone that I bought from digicell in negril last year, and had planned on buying it from digicell in negril this weekend, they won't have one?
    If you have a phone with a sim, you may be able to reactivate that one - call customer service or email them... If you set up an automatic top up on www.digiceljamaica.com for about $6 per month, you will keep your chip active, get to keep your phone number and have plenty of credit on for when you arrive. And if you have more credits than you need, you can share it with you friends. Sometimes when I am cash poor, but I want to do something for someone, I can take care of them by sharing credits instead. It's all good...

User Info Menu

Digicel kinda purposely ran out of Sim cards back in November to push the sale of phones.......
    if you bought a phone you got a Sim......but now you can get a Sim from either Lime or Digicel......
    locals hate it when us Lime people have them call or txt us cause it burns up der Digicel credits real fast.....
    but for just making some local calls and calling home you can't beat Lime........
    Lime=Tourist Digicel=Locals
    mi usually have an extra cellie if anyone ever gets in a jam in Negril......
    you can usually find mi around No Limit Bar on da Cliffs when mi around...
    which mi should be most of da summer....mi was der most of da winter........lmao

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ~SHEBA~ View Post
    the one near the burger king had none. my local friends said they have been looking and never any there! ok i think im going to get my driver to take me to one in mobay... i just want a sim card now as im tired of having a new phone and no card.

Thank you everyone.
    Before you go all the way to MoBay - try Lucea. Not only they may be better stocked but often they have better prices than the Digicel office by BK in Negril. The Negril store is a rip off, the "Customer Service" people there have no clue as to what that means and they don't even have a phone line to call the main office to help resolve a difficulty. GOOD LUCK