Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre Foods: Jamaica

User Info Menu

Sounds like he has a GREAT time....I agree with ackee....none of those foods sound bizarre at all....except I'm not a big fan of mannish wata, but, each to his own!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately Negril doesn't have much of the true Jamaican food. There's a few places that prepare it, like One Mile, and some of Chicken Lavish, but generally the restauranteurs know that the taste buds of the average tourist can't or won't handle the real Jamaican cooking. Going to Hellshire beach for fish and lobster (lobster cheaper than fish) and great festival is a rare treat. Haven't been there in years. Gangs have taken over the beach area, so we go to Ft. Clarence, just a few miles north, and the food is as good or better. Attending a Jamaican wedding or church dinner one gets the real mannish water, with all the offal that the normal tourist tries to avoid...

Debbie's favorite soup is the Cow Skin soup, and that's virtually unheard of in the Negril areal.

True, there is some good and real Jamaican cooking to be had in the Negril area, but the normal tourist rarely encounters it.

Too bad.

When was the last time you had Stew Peas, made the right way with corned pig tails?

Dave
    It's these changes in latitude, changes in attitude
    Nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VtDave View Post
    When was the last time you had Stew Peas, made the right way with corned pig tails?
    About two weeks ago at Cosmos....yummmm!

User Info Menu

I truly adore the gungo peas that are available around Christmas time. Mixed with rice...served cooked and straight up...or blended in soups. Sorrel is another one of my seasonal favs! I actually like Mannish Water and many other soups. Actually had cooked kidney with some local sides and even it was not half bad. Thanks for the info, will be sure and watch. I have grown up to be quite an adventurous soul when it comes to trying new things. Being from a rural area in a small state....doesn't generally happen...but love of an island brings one to open oneself up a bit and take the plunge. I adore eating local foods and always want to venture into the kitchen to see wha gwan. Luckily, many vendors are quite happy to see a guest show interest in their cooking skills. I have learned so much from them and hopefully, will continue to broaden my cooking horizons!!

User Info Menu

These days the nasty stuff part seems to be downplayed and he tends to focus on unique foods to the area without worrying too much about trying to gross out the audience.

User Info Menu

Dont forget to watch tonight!

User Info Menu

Great show, made me hungry! Loved the part with Andrew and "The Yatti Man". He even correctly used the term Rastafari without the anism.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VtDave View Post
    Debbie's favorite soup is the Cow Skin soup, and that's virtually unheard of in the Negril areal.
    From the round about a couple of weeks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed the show! Probably my fav was the Rasta in da hills. Ital some good, good stuff! Thanks for alerting me to this show...I would have missed it if it hadn't been for this board.

User Info Menu

I would have missed it too if not for the board. Thanks. I really enjoyed the whole thing.
    If your dream doesn't include the "impossible", it's too small - Joel Osteen