Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 63 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

User Info Menu

Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

I just wanna get there…

User Info Menu

Re: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

My son and his girlfriend were dropping me off. I made them take me early because of my anxiousness to get this reach started. It’s been seven long months since my last visit and I was in dire need of a heaping refill of Jamaica tranquility…my cup was empty.

Finally at the airport in the still darkness of a warm July morning, we exchanged hugs and I love yous. Kenny and Corrine sat in the car and watched me build the luggage tower then struggle to roll up to the revolving terminal doors. Like getting on an escalator, the timing to enter the slow spinning cylinder has to be just right. With a few ginger steps left in my trek to get inside, my son calls. “Hey mom!” I turn to listen thus missing my opportunity to step in…doors opened…doors closed.

He yells with promising seriousness. “I promise not to wreck your car.”

User Info Menu

Up to that comment I wasn’t worried about my car which he will have for 12 days. !2 days while I’m in Jamaica…Jamaica…nope not taking any worries with me.

I smile, then a nod careful not to let the tower topple. He waves and almost gets slammed from behind by a Hertz shuffle bus as he pulled out in front of it.

No stowaway fears…not having it…at least not for 11 nights and twelve days.

Jamaica, July 17 - 28, 2013

User Info Menu

Finally purchased a luggage scale.

Not just because I was jealous of all the fun Sammyb was having with hers but because I got tired of the swap & shift from one bag to another at check-in and being scolded for bringing baggage that exceeds the 50lb weight limit. On top of being embarrassing, it wears me out. So I diligently weighed my bags with my brand new luggage scale each and every time I added something to them. 50 pounds racks up very quickly.

With confidence I hoisted the first bag onto the scale. No, that weight can’t be right. Is that right??? I was instructed to place the second bag on the scale and again I’m shocked. Each bag was only 45 pounds!! The luggage scale weighs at a whopping FIVE pounds less than the airport scale. What a jip! Not bringing ten more pounds of “stuff” that I could have bought felt worse than facing actual overweight penalties. It really did. Now I ask myself, am I ever going to get this right?

User Info Menu

One hour and 35 minutes till boarding.

I’m not a coffee drinker but I need liquid energy to surge through my veins to keep me awake due to lack of sleep. NONE over the last 32 hrs. Ever since I fell asleep and missed a connecting flight to Jamaica, I don’t take any chances.

Went to get a cup from the Auntie Anne pretzel place a few steps from where I was sitting. Decided to get hot tea instead. Look I don’t know what kind of brewing machine they use to heat the water, but I could feel it boiling in the cup all the way to my seat. The tips of my fingers were burning up.

Too hot to drink I let it cool down while I text my son a reminder about watering my plants (which he didn’t do! 5 dried up and died.) Texted to momz saying I would call as soon as I get to my room. She texted back “nO Parasailing!!”

User Info Menu

Finally boarded the long, long, long plane. Felt like I was walking that narrow isle forever. My seat was in row 30 and there were still plenty rows after that. Will this half mile long ship really get off the ground?? Of course it will…just don’t think about it…

darn I left my tea…

User Info Menu

Good bye philly...see ya in 12 days!!!

User Info Menu

Man next to me “This is biggass plane. Makes you freakin wonder how something so freakin big stays in the freakin air.”

Okay he’s freakin me out!! Where are my earbudz, it’s music time. Perfect! Beres H…No Disturb Sign…just what I need…

User Info Menu

there she is!! my Jamaicahhhhhhh

Safe and sound pon the tarmac of Sangsters International Airport in Montego Bay Jamaica. I give in to a tear as I thank God for a smooth safe flight and one of the best landings I’ve ever experienced. I thanked the Pilot who gave me a grand-size smile and a wink. The wink was nice.

That’s my Sketcher’s duffle bag. Thing weighs less than 4 pounds but holds a ton. Love it!! I give away 60% of what I take which empties the duffle. I can fold it so it slips into my carry-on. Yeah I miss the easy to maneuver 360 swivel, but not the crazy baggage fees on the return!!

User Info Menu

Immigration and customs were painless. I like painless. Went to the JUTA counter to book the ride to Ocho Rios. The JUTA rep recognized me. She gave me a smile and said welcome home. This is the first time I’ve ever seen her smile.

Only had to wait 15 minutes before leaving the bus vicinity. In the meantime I sat on the bus admiring the attractive Margaritaville rest area. I notice quite a few renovations and additions to the airport since January. Nice…