Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Cheaper Airfare - Some Federal Taxes aren't being Collected...Book Now!

User Info Menu

Cheaper Airfare - Some Federal Taxes aren't being Collected...Book Now!

Yesterday, Congress adjourned failing to reauthorize the FAA’s funding. As a result, some federal taxes, including the 7.5% U.S. federal excise tax on domestic travel, a $3.70 domestic segment tax, and a $16.30 international arrival/departure tax are no longer valid and cannot be collected by airlines.

some airlines have jacked up their fares because of this........like JetBlue

but airlines like AirTran and Sprit have not........book now baby......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I read yesterday that this could happen, it said Friday (yesterday) at midnight. Thanks for the heads up..

User Info Menu

I just booked my flight (just going, will wait on the coming back until later) and I only paid 16 in taxes!

User Info Menu

I'm seeing some really cheap prices... ack!!! So tempting!! This is killing me...
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

First of all, airlines simply raised fares to cover the difference.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43883363/

Second, the taxes apply to the flight when you take it, not when you buy the tickets - it's essentially pre-paid. So people flying right now may be entitled to a refund because they pre-paid a tax that was allowed to expire.

The effect of this is that it is possible the taxes will be restored in a way that you will need to pay them when you travel. That is, the tax will be on your departure and will be due when you depart.

Stay tuned...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    First of all, airlines simply raised fares to cover the difference.
    not Spirit, Virgin, Alaska and some others.........
    alot of airlines are getting a ton of poor PR because they raised their fares

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Second, the taxes apply to the flight when you take it, not when you buy the tickets - it's essentially pre-paid. So people flying right now may be entitled to a refund because they pre-paid a tax that was allowed to expire.

The effect of this is that it is possible the taxes will be restored in a way that you will need to pay them when you travel. That is, the tax will be on your departure and will be due when you depart.
    wi have been thru this before...........like back in 96 when Congress was slow to act.........the fares were taxless for like a week..........
    So I booked a reach to Jamaica and when I flew they never collected the difference when Congress had gotten their act together.........wouldn't be surprised if that happened again............

it be almost criminal if the airlines jacked their fares and then asked you to pay taxes when you flew on top of that inflated airfare originally.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20