Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Negril (& Jamaica) newbies

User Info Menu

Tips for Negril (& Jamaica) newbies

We're heading down in October with some friends who've never been to Negril or Jamaica for that matter. They aren't new to travelling, just to Jamaica. I thought it would be fun to put together a list of tips for them since they get in 6 days before we do. I'm hoping all of you can add your wisdom to the list We're staying at Coco, so a few are Coco specific...

Here's what I have so far:

Taxis - don't pay the $10 per head they want at the hotel, walk out to the road and a taxi will stop. Negotiate the price before you get in and make sure they have a red plate.

Change - no one ever has any. Go to the front desk in the morning and change a few thousand JA to small bills - you'll need it!

Beach vendors - a polite no thank you works well - treat them with respect and you'll get the same back

ATM's - there's a Scotia ATM at Times Square and downtown; no withdrawal fees for Cdn Scotia account holders

Coco Happy Hour - every day (except Monday) at the main bar (not the snack bar), 5-7, 2 for 1 mixed drinks, beer and wine

Patties - Neville's patties are good (steel box), Norman's are better (cardboard box) and Niah's are the best but you'd better be hungry!

Ice - available from the snack bar, it closes at 6 to make sure to stock up before then!

That's all I can think of for now, I know I'm missing lots - can't wait for your input

User Info Menu

Re: Tips for Negril (& Jamaica) newbies

My advice is for you. Not them. I caught myself doing this when I took my buddy down in August. Trying to be the tour-guide and get to "everything" It's impossible and it takes away from the experience. Need to let it happen as it does.

User Info Menu

If they are drinkers get a bottle or 2 from duty free for the room and bring a insulated cup for lounging on the beach...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    My advice is for you. Not them. I caught myself doing this when I took my buddy down in August. Trying to be the tour-guide and get to "everything" It's impossible and it takes away from the experience. Need to let it happen as it does.
    I hear ya Flip - we've decided it's their trip and we'll tag along wherever they want to go. By the time we get there I suspect they'll already have covered more ground than we ever have

Quote Originally Posted by love2travelchic View Post
    If they are drinkers get a bottle or 2 from duty free for the room and bring a insulated cup for lounging on the beach...
    LOL - I know they'll bring insulated mugs, but I just assumed they'd know enough to stop at the duty free. They connect through TO and the duty free there is expensive - I think I'll suggest the arrivals duty free to them, especially if they're buying rum...

User Info Menu

remind them to take insect repellant with them, and to use it especially just before sunset when the sand fleas and/or no-see-ums want to eat them for dinner

User Info Menu

There's a small store across the street from Coco to buy some supplies. Best in the West across the street for jerk chicken. Good drink prices a couple doors down at Sun Beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2nutz4travel View Post
    LOL - I know they'll bring insulated mugs, but I just assumed they'd know enough to stop at the duty free. They connect through TO and the duty free there is expensive - I think I'll suggest the arrivals duty free to them, especially if they're buying rum...
    Haha! yea what's the point of the cup without d bottle...the duty free at Mobay is limited IMO for what mi like...lol

Sponsor

User Info Menu

…that nothing is free...

User Info Menu

Unsure that you see both sides of Negril ..
    beach gravity will take over .. but the westend is a must-do
    consider a day trip ... Tosh mosol/ Black River / Pelican Bar/YS Falls/Appleton can all be done in a single day ..
    a fairly long day ..but you'll have a great time
    drive back thru " Shrimp lady " area ..
    Hire a driver .. the freedom of stopping & wandering make for a more enjoyable day ..than doing with a "bus tour "

User Info Menu

Do NOT tell the peddlers "maybe later" or "we will be back tomorrow". They WILL remember you and they WILL find you. If you don't want what they are selling, (whatever it is) just say no thanks! (they hear that a lot) And if one or two of them gets a bit pushy, stand your ground. It's OK to be firm and NOT give in. (otherwise others will notice and try the same tactics)