Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neville the Patty Man

User Info Menu

Neville the Patty Man

For those of you who know Neville, if you have been to Negril recently, you may have noticed he's been MIA. For those who don't know him, he is a beach institution for decades who makes & delivers delicious patties to beach goers. I rely on him for my lunch almost daily.

He called me yesterday to fill me in on what has been going on. I've been so busy the past 2 months since I returned from Jamaica w/ the paving of my condo community (I'm on the BOD, treasurer) & weeks of home renovations, etc., I hadn't had time to call him. Listening to him really drove home how precious life is.

He/his family has been through a series of medical issues. Nutshell version - BIL hospitalized & later passed from brain cancer, then his youngest son was severely injured in a work accident. He lost both his R hand & R foot due to electrical burns. While helping his family through this, Neville himself suffered severe injuries in a motor vehicle accident.

In mid August he was the last remaining passenger in a taxi returning home to Grange Hill after a day of working on the beach. A truck coming from the opposite direction tried to pass another car & miscalculated, striking the taxi Neville was in head on. He initially looked so bad he was not expected to survive & people were calling him "the dead man" when he was taken to the hosptial. Internal injuries, head injury, bleeding from his nose & mouth, foot injured, broken arm. Miraculously, he did pull through & is now home from the hospital although he is unable to work. He is still going for treatment & tests/scans/X-rays to assess his healing. He cannot do any lifting & is working on strengthening & healing his arm. He expects to return to making & selling patties on the beach in November. He wanted me to let his many Negril visitor friends know what happened & why he hasn't been around. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 09-21-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Re: Neville the Patty Man

Sending prayers for strength and healing!
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Wow he has been through alot, wishing him a speedy recovery and no more bad things. Hope he continues to heal and makes it back to the beach in November.

User Info Menu

Name:  Negril 2013 141.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  49.4 KB
    This is Neville in July. After all he's been through, especially the head injury, he sounds like his usual self. He is so blessed to have survived such a terrible accident. I told him it was not his time to go.

User Info Menu

get well soon, soon come

User Info Menu

Obvously, Jah was watching over him. Prayers sent to him and all of his family. Thanks for updating us...for he is truly a Negril favorite with everyone! The beach would never be the same without Neville.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Prayers for such a strong man to have gone thru so much and still looking forward to returning to the beach in November.
    Last edited by SPARKLE1010; 09-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

he is a example of the "Jamaican Hard Worker"........always working, going to work, or home........
    he is a very nice man.......for those of you who havent seen this report I made some years ago, this will help you to know the "Mon"..........

On this our 26th trip to our beloved Island, we decided to write about some of the faces we saw on our trip...some you will know, possibly some you wont....hope you enjoy the background behind the faces.........

"BEEF-VEGTABLE-CHICKEN-COCO BREAD"

Those are the choices you will have to make each day, while soaking the Sun up on the Beach of Negril........

"PATTY MAN" is what he is normaly called.....His real name is Neville Stewart, a man small in stature, but not in dreams or his work ethic's.

He is a widower of two years from this writing (2006), and a father of 6 children, lives in Grange Hall and leaves his bike near the beach area that he works each day, rarely taking a day off.

His day on average starts about 5AM with the cooking and prepareing of his days worth of patty's. A patty is a pastry shell filled with the above choices, and then deep fried to a golden brown ( like a Brown Taco) only soft and warm...very light and flaky crust. The filling varies with the choices, as does the prices...with the CoCo Bread being the cheapest........ Normally we are talking 'bout 1 US Buck to a Buck and a Half a piece.......BIG Discounts for volume..LOL

All the fillings are GREAT, with all haveing that "certain" Jamaican "hot-ness" to the end of your tonuge, which is washed away nicely with Red Stripe.............

Good sales days for Neville are 70 patties a day (Spring Breakers)
    to a average of 35-45 per day, during these slow times.......He very rarely brings any back home with him, giving the last away or trading for rides.........

He brings the "Patty Box" with him each day, loading it up in the morning with fresh pattys and returning at night filled with supplies for the next days sales, his bike is safe-stored by the end of the beach, near where he starts and finshes each day.

When he gets back home and does his "chores" and gets ready for the next day he will say his nightly prayers, and finally close his eyes...it will be around 11 PM!.

He has been pushing his bike through the beach sand for over 16 years now, and is in the process of fixing up a "scooter" to help him to work and home to cut down on his expenses so he wont have to raise his prices........(smart man)

As all Jamaicans do more than one job,,Patty Man also will cook you a fine Jamaican Meal at your place or elsewhere, and deliver it to you
    We asked him for BIG LOBSTERS,,,and Mon ! did he deliver.......we were taking a dip in the pool when he arrived 'bout 4 in the afternoon one day with a bag, in it were 3 of the BIGGEST JAMAICAN LOBSTERS we had ever seen.............2 to 3 lbs of Tail Meat Each.
    They were alive when he brought them to us, and I aked if he could de-tail them and set them on our porch....that night I steamed them in the shell with baked potatoes and steamed veggies.......it was as CoComando put it !!!!!!!!

I made him a shirt with his photo on it and we gave it to him on this visit...........

so if ya see a guy wearing a shirt with him on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you have just run into the PATTY MAN...............

Get up- go over, buy him OUT....and Help get that "scooter on Di Road!)

Watch him as he walks off, and feel proud and honored,y ou have just met a real "Jamaican Ledgend"

Hope you enjoyed my attempt at writing these inside looks at people we see,,,
    will follow with more if you like......

Profile on "Fruit Lady" Link.........http://www.negril.com/discus/board/s...1494#POST21494
    Profile on "Jennys"
    Link.........http://www.negril.com/discus/board/s...1860#POST21860

Merry Christmas and Thank God/Jah for JAMAICA............
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sending well wishes his way! I will have to look out for him on my next reach.

User Info Menu

We ALWAYS buy from Neville!!!~Our young kids love him!!!~We chatted for a while our last reach in May.Thanks for the info Yvonne!!~Jah knows!!~Glad he is pulling through!!~Much Respect!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]