Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best place for a single guy to stay in Negril?

User Info Menu

Best place for a single guy to stay in Negril?

Our best friend, Jamar is going to Negril in early November. My husband and I want to join him on this trip (more than anything in the world!!) but we're not sure if we can pull together the funds or enough vacation days

He is 28 years old, single, and looking to have a really fun vacation. This will be his first trip to Jamaica. He wants to eat good food, drink lots of rum, relax on the beach during the day, dance, party and meet new people.

Is there a hotel anyone can recommend for someone going solo to Negril, Preferably a place where he could meet a lot of other people in their 20's + 30's? A hotel where he would feel at home and make new friends easily. A place that is geared more for adults. (He wouldn't rule out Hedonism II, but I'm getting the impression from reviews I've read that this resort is more for couples. ) The accomodations can't go over $150 per night.

I really want his vacation to be amazing and I want him to have the time of his life. I only have experience with The Grand Pineapple (which might be too quiet for his taste) and Coco La Palm (which might be too family oriented for his liking)

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help you can offer!
    Last edited by Clarity; 07-25-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I bet I could show him a good time ..... He might like RIU Club Negril?

User Info Menu

What about the rooms at Alfred's or Merril's? At Alfred's you can't get much closer to the action! Merril's has great rates and usually is a fairly young crowd....might be an Italian crowd but it's all good. Or Mom's Place might be a good option.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Bar B Barn on da beach.........or Negril Treehouse.......or more budget wise Greenleaf Cabins

or

SeaStar Inn on da cliffs.......you don't need any other choices on da Cliffs

and him won't be solo for long...........lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Marko; 07-26-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

If he's not into the AI fancy stuff, you can't beat Roots Bamboo for atmospheric immersion. Roots has a concert every Wednesday, the crowd that hangs out at Roots is of the younger variety. Ted, Effie and the gang take care of their guests very well. Roots is very rustic, cabins on the beach with a rotating fan, communal showers, just like in campgrounds, camping is available as well. The money you save from paying for fancy AI type of rooms can be spent on food and drink and you'll still end up ahead.

Just a thought.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

After travelling solo many times (not single) That is something I often think of is where I would stay if I were travelling singe(imagine that)! Taking into account the fun factor Fun Holiday always has a younger crowd and right across from The Jungle! How convenient, lots of other places work too such as Cocolapalm, Treehouse, these places usually have more families and older guests, but can be a lot of fun too. Grand Pineapple also works as you know first hand and the rates in nov. are usually still reasonable. In the cliffs Seastar is a good choice, as well as Negril Escape espeacially if the winter concert series has started by then. Hedonism is a whole other story, its been a long time since staying there but not the same as staying at the smaller non AI. I would rule out the RIU,s as there is almost no night life and to pay for AI and leave every night to party makes no sense to me.

User Info Menu

i was thinking with the RIU, there are hundreds of guests, so he could find friends easily to go out with ..... Plus, instead of paying 150 per night plus meals and drinks, he could pay 180 or so as an RIU single and have all the meals and drinks, then hit the town after dinner .....

User Info Menu

The hubby went to Hedo by his self (not single-I hope LOL) a year ago today.He said it was strange going without me,but it was fun watching the single guys trying to hook up with some gals.The one single guy told him it wasnt what he thought it would be and wouldnt go back by him self.We went to Hedo 6yrs in a row to the tattoo gathering they used to have but we both agree we like being out side the AI much better.....We werent big nudies !
    [img]://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;405/st/20110815/e/Negril+Vacation/k/5e78/blk-event.png[/img]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs stuck View Post
    The hubby went to Hedo by his self (not single-I hope LOL) a year ago today.
    When I went to HedoII in '84 it was all solo guys and gals.......only one couple
    When I went to HedoII in '91 it was mostly couples......and a few singles......
    it's so crazy the way it completely flopped from singles to couples....
    and think a lot of it had to do with HIV and the way people were being more careful of who they were with........
    back in '84 HedoII was completely nuts and I'll never forget it.......absolutely wild
    I slept for two days straight after I reached back home.....lol

oh da memories........

I wouldn't recommend HedoII to any solo people today.......though some still go there

all a solo person really needs to do in Negril......
    is go to Ricks etc for sunsets......and work the calendar.....Sunday is Alfreds, etc etc
    I usually recommend for first timers to stay on the beach......till they get a feel for Negril

mi have personally helped and given a lot of solo people information over the years so their stays are more comfortable.....
    been even known to be a "Jamaican Tour Guide" for newbies in Negril......
    just love their expressions when they discover the runnings der......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice and great suggestions! I really appreciate it!

I’m going to tell him to look into Bar B Barn, Roots Bamboo, Negril Treehouse, Fun Holiday and Alfreds as a starting point. I know he wants to be on the beach. They’re all pretty central in location to all the stuff going on. I really want him to feel like he’s a part of it all and get the Negril vibe.

He’s talking about splitting his trip between two hotels like we did. I’m thinking that an AI might be the best way to start the first 3 days.

The Grand pineapple would be a good choice if we were going WITH him …but as a solo traveler, I’m afraid he might get lonely there. I remember a lot of people speaking foreign languages. It can be really quiet at night, bar closes at 11 or 12, lights shut off… Everyone goes to sleep…you just hear crickets. If he doesn’t meet someone to go out with he’ll end up retiring to bed early too.

My worst nightmare is that he returns from Negril saying that it was “Boring” – Honestly, I don’t know how anyone could return with that impression but I want to remove any possibility. Lol

So that leaves Riu Negril Club and Hedonism as two possible choices. Does anyone know how the scene is in Riu Negril? Are the bars open late? Is there live music to dance to and shows to watch? How is the beach there? Would you recommend this hotel? I’m worried that it’s isolated from the rest of Negril because it’s in Bloody Bay…

Then there is Hedonism …which he DID express interest in after viewing the website because they make it sound like paradise on earth.

Marko & Stuck –You mentioned that it’s become very couple oriented. So You definitely wouldn’t recommend it to a single guy. I think he would be better off "X"ing that one off his list of possible hotels then. Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Clarity; 07-26-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Carpe Diem