Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Are you curious about airfare increases this week?

User Info Menu

Are you curious about airfare increases this week?

This post comes from Stacy Johnson at partner site Money Talks News.

If there's air travel in your future, now might be the time to book your flight.

That's because as of midnight Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration has no authority to collect the nearly $200 million it takes in each week by taxing airline tickets. According to the Air Transport Association, federal taxes and fees add about $60, or 25%, to a typical $240 round-trip fare. About half of that will now go uncollected.

Airlines grab savings
    Unfortunately, by Saturday night many airlines raised ticket prices by the amount of the tax savings, essentially grabbing the money for themselves.

According to The Associated Press, most major U.S. airlines kept prices the same by raising the cost of tickets by the amount of the tax savings. American, United, Continental, Delta, US Airways, Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue all raised fares, while Virgin America, Frontier Airlines and Alaska Airlines allowed the tax savings to flow through to the consumer.
    Spending the kids inheritance one trip at a time!

User Info Menu

Spirit also passed on savings to the customers. I saved about $50-60 on what I normally pay thanks to buying at the right time this time... If I had been a $9 fare club member I could have saved even more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J-Ville Mark View Post
    This post comes from Stacy Johnson at partner site Money Talks News.

If there's air travel in your future, now might be the time to book your flight.

According to The Associated Press, most major U.S. airlines kept prices the same by raising the cost of tickets by the amount of the tax savings. American, United, Continental, Delta, US Airways, Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue all raised fares, while Virgin America, Frontier Airlines and Alaska Airlines allowed the tax savings to flow through to the consumer.
    AirTran has been passing on savings too on some of their routes......like to MoBay!

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20