Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: "Marley" documentary dvd

User Info Menu

"Marley" documentary dvd

Greetings Boardies! Now, I'm sure most of you have seen "Marley" once. But,......have you really, really. r e a l l y watched this outstanding film????? Evrytime, you'll catch something more...new...and interesting. Go ahead, watch it again ! Respect.

User Info Menu

Re: "Marley" documentary dvd

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Greetings Boardies! Now, I'm sure most of you have seen "Marley" once. But,......have you really, really. r e a l l y watched this outstanding film????? Evrytime, you'll catch something more...new...and interesting. Go ahead, watch it again ! Respect.
    I agree.....It's on Netflix and I've watched it more than a few times....

User Info Menu

I maybe a little biased but I believe it is one the best documentaries out there today. The part where his relatives listen to "Cornerstone" gets me every time.

User Info Menu

I may be crazy, but I was disappointed by it. Dont get me wrong, it is wonderful to watch, the footage is amazing, the music is great. Absolutely recommend it to anyone to watch.

The tone, more than anything, just didn't feel right to me. The second half of the movie seemed to be pretty much waiting for Bob to die. Part of his story, of course. But, only a small part of an amazing and full life. The movie seemed to be more of a tragedy, a story of a life cut short, not a celebration of an amazing life.

I listen to Bob's music and am never, ever depressed. But after watching the movie, I was kinda bummed. I didn't like that.

And, while it was Bob's story and not the Wailers, I would have liked to hear more about the split with Peter Tosh and the original Wailers. But minor complaints. It is still must see viewing. But the "definitive" story that it was supposed to be? I'm not sure.

User Info Menu

And, on a different issue, I'm not sure I believe the conventional stories about his death. I mean, I've cut my toe a few times. It might get infected. But cancer? Never heard of anyone else getting cancer from a cut. To have cancer of the everything, that quick, at that age is suspicious to me. I'm certainly not a doctor or expert, but it seems strange. But it was the heart of the cold war, on the 2nd biggest Caribbean Island, a neighbor of communist Cuba. Bob was becoming bigger than any politician, and writes songs like "It takes a revolution, to make a solution." I certainly believe that the CIA would want him gone, a pawn in the cold war. I don't know how they would have done it, but I really don't doubt they might have been a part of it.

Or me and the filmmakers have had a few too many subs. Who knows.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I watched the documentary a few times as well. I do believe Bob had more children than his family claims and the interviews with his white family members....very interesting. They seemed pretty shocked to listen to the song he recorded about them. And if Bob recorded so much music before he died, where is it? The same songs just get 're-released and over. That's my only issue.

User Info Menu

Seen it many times. Very good documentary. A documentary I'm waiting to see is Journey to Jah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkwlhVtkus