Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cambio

User Info Menu

Re: Cambio

Does anyone know if the ATM that is located right by the Negril Aerodome and Craft Market gives out both US and JA Dollars? I will want to get some "walking around money" when we get there and that ATM would be super convenient!! I will have US $$ on me but would like to get some JA $$ as well. I know I can change money at Couples but I think I remember hearing the rates suck..

Typing in $20,000 is an incredibly scary thought! LOL!!
    [=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rustedduck View Post
    Dont exchange with anyone on the street......no matter how good a deal they give you.
    You will lose.
    Great advise NEVER EXCHANGE MONEY ON THE STREET

User Info Menu

So when buying groceries at Hilo, what is the best currency to use? Is it converted to US or do you have to figure that out on your own? I have a hard time figuring out the exchange on the spot in my head

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rastabell View Post
    So when buying groceries at Hilo, what is the best currency to use?
    At HiLo you can use either
    If you use US$ you will get back your change in J$ at a rate of a J$ or 2 less than the 'best' rate
    Example- if the going rate is 90-1 then your change back will be at 88-1
    Or you can use the 'Exchange window' (FX Traders) located as you enter HiLo to change your money

User Info Menu

We have our driver stop at a Cambio in MoBay. We exchange money, shop at MM, buy Digicel minutes and eat lunch in Mobay (different places). That way, as soon as we get to Negril, we are done with our chores and can kick back and relax.

User Info Menu

So when paying at Hilo do they tell you the us amount or do I have to figure that out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rastabell View Post
    So when paying at Hilo do they tell you the us amount or do I have to figure that out?
    HiLo cashier will tell you amount in J's and US or Canadian or whatever you want.....
    this winter when the exchange was around 90 they gave the rate of 86/85J's on US....usually three less J's
    same for putting it on your USA debit or credit card.......86J's when the rate was 89
    the FX trader beside HiLo usually gave the best rate in Negril.......
    use to go to FX trader every week too.....lol.....before mi go into HiLo
    so you go to FX Trader first before HiLo to max out your savings on your foreign monies..........
    watch out for HiLo price tags on the shelves.........they are rarely correct......
    usually the prices are higher at the cashiers versus the price on the tags....
    and there is nuthin you can do but not buy the item.......lol
    the two best stores to get the best rate of exchange on your foreign dollars in Negril......
    like on Sunday when the Cambios are closed.......is the store directly across from Bourbon Beach.........
    and the China mon store across from SamSara.....sometimes mi didn't even buy anything when doing so
    both of dem would take 2J's off the going US rate.....so if the rate was 92....they would pay out 90J's....
    for mi the China mon store saved mi enuff so I wouldn't have to take a $100J route taxi down to HiLo to change out $50US......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

like on Sunday when the Cambios are closed.......is the store directly across from Bourbon Beach.........

Marko, which store were you suggesting across from Bourbon.....There is a 'Time and Again gift shop'/mini mart'....'Time Square/atm'....Also 'Jamrock'....

I'll be arriving on a Sun. this year and this would be helpful for some $j to get me through the day.

Respect