Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

Vi I have to chime in on what you said to Vince about positive comments. I find the Port Antonio board refreshing. It is way less political than other parts of the board. Its about vacationing and experiencing the culture. Thats what I thought this was supposed to be about. So post as many pictures as you like. Tell all the stories you like because we like hearing them.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Hi Vi ! Before you wrap this up. I wonder if I might ask your opinion..... on the Negril message board there is a thread about music... on comment from a boardie made me curious...

He said''' Here went to Port Antonio quite a bit ago, he stated '' locals treated us with a curious aloofness, like why are the =y there? while they were polite and hospitable they really didn't care to have us there..''
    This isn't verbatom but close........
    I was very curious to see what you had to say, as while I can see why ''couples'' would really enjoy the Port Antonio area, as it's quiet and looks to be quite romantic at places, While you do so well, solo
    traveling, ddo you ever feel this......

I just love my Negril, I'm a feet in the sand at all times person, but I always thought that going to a part of the island like Portland would be so refreshing, not only to see a different part, but to feel
    what it was like to mingle among some locals, that aren't so much on the hustle, if you will, like Negril...
    I was lucky to have taken a road trip to Accompong town last Feb, and I got a taste of it there, and I found the opposite of what the boardie said, It seemed like the locals were thrilled to have us there,
    of course that area is quite seclude, and quite different, so the fascination with our complection and eye color and such was quite evident,...
    My absolute favorite thing to do, is head into small, local establishment, have a couple cold ones, and chill with the locals that always seem to have something interesting to
    talk about.....

Pretty much how you roll So I was just wondering your tthoughts !!!

User Info Menu

My absolute favorite thing to do, is head into small, local establishment, have a couple cold ones, and chill with the locals that always seem to have something interesting to
    talk about.....
    Just spoke my words right there!! ^^^ Keep it up *vi*!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
    …. Our "armed" guard sound asleep in a hammock with his holster visible and an almost empty Red Stripe in his hand.
    LOL! MilwaukeeMike, all I can say is I’m even more sadder you weren’t able to recover your pictures after reading your post. But on the other hand, I’m grateful for your great memory and willingness to share such wonderful details. I remember getting a glimpse of these cylinder rooms. Not sure how much of them are still there. Now I’m curious so I’ll charter a boat ride around there to see. Great story about the passed-out, bulletless guard the cook grocery shopping for your meal. I love your phrase “liquid moonshine”. I posted pictures of Navy Island in a past report. Did you see them??

Quote Originally Posted by takinitslow View Post
    Vi I have to chime in on what you said to Vince about positive comments. I find the Port Antonio board refreshing. It is way less political than other parts of the board. Its about vacationing and experiencing the culture. Thats what I thought this was supposed to be about. So post as many pictures as you like. Tell all the stories you like because we like hearing them.
    Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement, Takinitslow. Sometimes I write and write and write…then chop and chop and chop because I think I wrote too much. But I guess if the viewer is not a reader then they can just flip the page, nuh true?? You’re right; this forum reflects the virtually drama-less culture of Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    He said''' Here went to Port Antonio quite a bit ago, he stated '' locals treated us with a curious aloofness, like why are the =y there? while they were polite and hospitable they really didn't care to have us there..''
    This isn't verbatom but close........
    So I was just wondering your tthoughts !!!
    JoJo, I don’t know where this person stayed or how much they got out, and it’s sad they came to such a conclusion about Port Antonio, but to imply that the community is stand-offish is not true at all!!! In all my visits, I have NEVER felt unwelcomed by anyone at any time while in Portland and I’ve been all over the parish. Do they mind their own business? Yes. Do they stay out of your face? Yes. But I would never label that as being “inquisitively aloof”. From the folks in the neighborhood where I stay to the wealthy business owners, everyone I’ve connected with has been friendly and accommodating. Sometimes they go out of their way to fill a request. After my first visit when I traveled with two other ladies, I knew I could do Portland solo from then on. It was mainly because of the people I met. The interactions were brief and not that many, but they were genuinely warm and kind. I’ve been traveling to Jamaica 2-3 times a year since 2003 and this is the only parish that makes me feel welcomed and at home. In fact, JoJo,one of the guaranteed places you will experience that true hospitality is at those small, local establishments, to have a couple cold ones, and chill with the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ^^^ Keep it up *vi*!!
    Come here Vince so I can give you that daily cyber hug. Today was a typical Monday, crazy busy, so I’ll post the finale tomorrow.

User Info Menu

LOL, *vi*, when work gets crazy, I ALWAYS just think of Jamaica! All is well! Then is goes good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Vi.....girl ...sigh ...that says it all!

MilwaukeeMike WOW what an adventure

JoJo trust Vi ...you will LOVE Port Antonio....zero hassle and I have not met not one rude local....very welcoming community.

User Info Menu

Back in the room I do all sorts of depressing things…pack, wash clothes, call family to say I’m not extending again, clear the fridge of foods I won’t find in my part of world nor can I take with me.

Needing some alone time, I stayed in most of the day. The most down time I experienced the entire trip.

I called my ride to confirm pick up time in the morning. He said he’s coming over later to visit and we’ll discuss that when he gets here.

Fast forward a couple of hours…After my early dinner of still edible leftovers, I was about to go see Sandra when there was a knock on the door. It was Mr. G, my morning driver and he wasn’t alone.

“Good night, Vi. This is my friend, Berd. He wanted to meet you.”
    “Geeeeeeee this is a surprise!” I replied as I looked way, way up into the tall, thin man’s smiling eyes.

After the introductions, the next 15 minutes was spent listening to compliments, his plans to take me all over Portland, and because he’s into “fluffy” gals, being kneaded, poked & squeezed as if my body were made of memory foam. Sorry to say, I wasn’t into him at all. Therefore, I wasn’t going spend my last few precious hours in Portland feeling uncomfortable so I searched and found an out…early morning departure, sorry, but I must go.

“NO!!! You leave tomorrow???”
    “un huh”
    “Well when you return I’m kidnapping you. I’ll take you all over. I’ll take you dancing.” He did this pelvic twist that scared me and had me take a couple of steps back.
    “Wow, that sounds…interesting. Nice meeting you.”

Of course he couldn’t leave without a hug that lasted way too long, but he also didn’t leave with my phone number…thank goodness.

Okay, I’m not “looking” for a husband, but I am single so the possibility of meeting Mr. Right-for-Vi is there. It’s just not going to happen this visit so I’ll continue coming back to sightsee and drink rum

…at least that’s what I thought.

User Info Menu

I know what's coming........ hehe !!!!!!

User Info Menu

After they departed, I decided to spend a few minutes with Sandra before turning in. As I approach her house, I see someone exit the yard. We pass without a word. I go to enter her yard then I hear

“They went out…no one is at home right now.”
    “Oh…okay. Thanks”
    “I come check for Mr. B, no one answer.”

…What a nice voice…

“Thanks again. I came to see Sandra. I’ll check back later.”

…What a nice smile…

“They’re never gone for long.”

Next thing I know we are still standing in front of Sandra lil home involved in a pleasant conversation about my love for Portland and his familiarity with New York.

About 20 minutes later his cell rings. He looks at the caller ID, excuses himself and walk to the side for privacy. I’m thinking…Wife? Girlfriend? Boyfriend? Whatever, it’s most likely the end of this most enjoyable conversation has arrived.

He returns to me and says his family is coming for him arriving in a few minutes. “Them close by.”

Those words made me a little sad. I did want to continue our chat. He must have read my mind as he then asked for my US contact information. Funny how I rarely remember my cell number, but it flowed without a break. A car slows and stops.

The driver looks out and shouts…“Vi!!!! Vi babygirl, is that you???? What happened???”
    “Oh wow, Tupac Fan!! I mean Chris!”

He backs up and parks. The gentleman looks at me and says…”You know him?? You know my nephew?”

“What?? Wait. You’re Tractor??!?!?”
    “YES mon. How do you know my name?”

Before I could explain, Chris joined us and told his uncle that “I” “ME” was the “shawty” he was talking about. Yep, he called me a shortie and I was giggling like a teenager.

I stood there, half talking and half asking myself if all of this was real. How pleasingly coincidental! This is a “share with your girlfriends” moment I was living. I kept saying…only in Jamaica do things like this happen to me which is why I can’t stop going…I won’t stop going.

And you know what????????????? I can’t wait to see what happens when he and I get together in a couple of days.

So….. I’m ending this report here as I have a plane to catch in the morning!!!

Thanks everyone who commented and peeked in. I hope it was informational as well as entertaining. Please, do consider Portland.

au revoir pour le moment

User Info Menu

Sweet! No wonder you are back so soon