Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

Yes, without a doubt Portland is a very beautiful Parish. Port Antonio, as many of you have said is really a step into a sort of "Old Jamaica" feel and one can only imagine how cool it must have been back in the early days.

Because it can be difficult sometimes to get around JA with public transportation if you don't have a rental car or bike often times visitors to Portland only get to see PO and it's many beautiful beaches. I was fortunate enough to have explored the island when the "Big Bus" was a viable way to travel, inexpensively if not slowly. It was a lot of fun getting around. Since I now rent a car in Kingston I really don't know what the public transportation is like except hearing great things about the Knutsford Express which travels from City to City.

The B-1 or A-3 roads take you from the North Coast over the mountains to Kingston. The B-1 road runs from Buff Bay to town exclusively in Portland Parish. It is a beautiful ride that takes you up and over the Blue mountains not too far from the peak. There are many opportunities for hiking and bird watching and the nights there can be cold there. It is where the true Blue Mountain Coffee is grown.

If you find yourself in Portland you might want to check it out.

Regards,
    John

Name:  Buff Bay.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  93.8 KBName:  Big Bus.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  96.0 KBName:  Church In The Clouds.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  98.5 KBName:  Spring Hill.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  101.2 KBName:  Waterfall.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  104.4 KB

User Info Menu

Drooling over those older pictures! johng, *vi* has me sold on PA on our next reach! Like you say the older back in time Jamaica! My cup of tea. True Jamaicans with frens to become in the future. Respect!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    ........... I was fortunate enough to have explored the island when the "Big Bus" was a viable way to travel, inexpensively if not slowly......... John

Name:  Big Bus.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  96.0 KB
    Johng, thanks for posting those wonderful pictures. It's funny but the last time I was in Port Antonio I came across the big bus graveyard. At least a dozen were sitting in the back of a lot. They all had names on the front like, "DUPPY CONQUEROR". I remember kicking myself for not having a camera along as even then I knew it would have been a historic snapshot.

User Info Menu

Thanks Vince and MilwaukeeMike glad you enjoy the pics.
    Vince you will love PA and Portland!!
    MilwaukeeMike that would have been an awesome calendar pictorial!! Could be those buses stay in that Graveyard for a long time so next time you are in PA remember your camera or phone!! And yes the buses all had their own identities. The bus above was the SUNBEAM, and I believe the bus that did the MoBay Negril route was the HONEY BEE. The SUNBEAM ran from Buff Bay up the B-1 until Green Hill where it did an amazing turnaround for the trip back down the mountain. The bus drivers were awesome as sometimes the roads were not but inches wider than the the bus tires, not for the faint of heart. The most fun was riding on top of the bus where baggage was stowed.

Name:  Riding High.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  87.4 KBName:  Port Antonio.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  97.1 KBName:  Planting.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  94.6 KBName:  Frenchman's Cove.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  90.9 KBName:  Folly.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  97.0 KB

User Info Menu

I just returned last night from a fantastic reach.

*sigh*

It’s still painfully hard to leave my place of comfort, sanity and peace.

WOW Johng, your pictures are incredible. Thank you so much for posting them and sharing your memories. I envy anyone who traveled to Jamaica in the 70’s and 80’s. My island visits started in the Bahamas in 1990, but I never really connected with it like I have with Jamaica which I didn’t discover until 2003. I guess 13 years of amassing memories and photos isn’t a bad collection, but nothing like the treasures you and others have who were there pre-tourist explosion and development.

I love the one of you on the bus. The more time I spend in Portland, the greater my need for “how it was” stories like the ones you posted. So please feel free to tell us more. I agree with Vince, I love hearing about the back in the day Jamaica as much as the Jamaica I’m getting to know now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    Sweet! No wonder you are back so soon
    YES!!!!!!!!! agregory my return was point on! What I mean is the continuation of reconnecting and getting to know my new friend couldn’t have happened any timelier. Yep…a new chapter is definitely being penned.

(((((((((((((*sigh* with a girlish smile))))))))))))

User Info Menu

Dang vi you was gone on a long reach down in Ja. ! lol, my focus is PA! I fell in LOVE with Ja. 1st it was Ocho Rios, then we went to Green Island resort that I USE to praise. Negril was fun, but the hustle was not mi cup of tea. That's why we usually go in the summer month. But... PA has REALLY opened mi eyes for the Jamaica that I like. I'm country guy! Mi no need bling, just regular get by living in Ja. will work for mi. I have a real STRONG feeling of PA. I dream that it is going to be POWERFUL!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!! agregory my return was point on! What I mean is the continuation of reconnecting and getting to know my new friend couldn’t have happened any timelier. Yep…a new chapter is definitely being penned.

(((((((((((((*sigh* with a girlish smile))))))))))))
    Vi, could you please e mail me the R rated version.....lmao ! ....Just kidding.... I can see ya smiling all the way from Minnesota !!!!!

User Info Menu

Oh my goodness, Vince, I really feel you and Portland are a soulful match. I thought about you daily. Especially when I sat and chatted with individuals for the first time. I went to a party one night and had the BEST time drinking and dancing in the rain. Why???? It wasn’t just the overproof..lol…but I felt like I was partying with actual friends and neighbors. You’ll see what I mean when I post the video.

I watched a couple of domino games and listened to the banter the guys exchanged. They liked having me hang out and watch. They even bought ME drinks. I never came across that in Negril or Ocho Rios. Those were some of the most memorable moments that I know you long for. Well, my friend, you’ll have them and more when you get there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Vi, could you please e mail me the R rated version.....lmao ! ....Just kidding.... I can see ya smiling all the way from Minnesota !!!!!
    LMAO!!!! Whew…um…okay. I’m fanning myself, jojo, and yes smiling big time. I’m going to post a short trip report because I want to share updates and new discoveries. He’s a part of it, so his contribution will be included, but I’ll keep the personal stuff out of that mix and into a nice read just for you…LOL