Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current US - Jamaican dollar exchange rate

User Info Menu

Re: Current US - Jamaican dollar exchange rate

Quote Originally Posted by fargoman View Post
    I agree ukran1ans..it does add up in savings as I like to pay as much as I can in J...but I understand some people aren't comfortable with ATMs...I am not either and only go to where its at a physical location at the bank..
    Yeah, the ATMs I use on the island are also located within the bank. Last year I just walked 10 mins down to the new NCB location in the new Boardwalk plaza where the new HiLo is being built to reload the funds mid week (usually stopping at a Scotia in MoBay or Lucia with my driver on the way to the hotel after landing for the initial cash load).

User Info Menu

I used that one too a couple of times in the Boardwalk but NCB rate wasn't quite as good as Scotia..splitting hairs I guess...

User Info Menu

Don't ever bother going to the bank at the boardwalk plaza. You will be another year older by the time you get out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    Don't ever bother going to the bank at the boardwalk plaza. You will be another year older by the time you get out.
    That's for sure. We made the mistake of standing in line to exchange money one day last January and it was over an hour before we made it to the front of the line. But, at least from where we stay, we could walk there and not have to take a taxi to a cambio. So, there's that. The ATM wasn't busy at all. I may have to rethink the no ATM opinion that I have. Maybe....perhaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weathermon & Mi Lady View Post
    That's for sure. We made the mistake of standing in line to exchange money one day last January and it was over an hour before we made it to the front of the line. But, at least from where we stay, we could walk there and not have to take a taxi to a cambio. So, there's that. The ATM wasn't busy at all. I may have to rethink the no ATM opinion that I have. Maybe....perhaps.
    I waited at least an hour. Finally at the counter. Where are you staying, what room #, when did you arrive, when are you leaving. THEN, they need to copy your ID. Printer out of paper, where is the paper, ok here, hit print, paper jam ,who can fix. and on and on. I was changing $100 not $100,000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airswift View Post
    I've used the NCB bank ATM at Boardwalk a few times last year and never had to wait for more than one or 2 people ahead of me at the ATM itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weathermon & Mi Lady View Post
    If you get brave, just join ALLY bank, get a free checking account and use Zelle to load the account with money from your other bank. You just have to inform Ally ahead of time, the time frame you'll be in Jamaica (I just do an online chat session with one of their customer service people to let them know when I'm there).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    If you get brave, just join ALLY bank, get a free checking account and use Zelle to load the account with money from your other bank. You just have to inform Ally ahead of time, the time frame you'll be in Jamaica (I just do an online chat session with one of their customer service people to let them know when I'm there).
    I don't see where getting brave is necessary. I have been exchanging money in Jamaica successfully for over 37 years. True, differently now than before but the difference of a few dollars Jamaican in the exchange isn't enough for me to abandon what works time after time.

JMO
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    I don't see where getting brave is necessary. I have been exchanging money in Jamaica successfully for over 37 years. True, differently now than before but the difference of a few dollars Jamaican in the exchange isn't enough for me to abandon what works time after time.

JMO
    Well if you're not doing alot of cash transactions while visiting Jamaica, it's not worth worrying about a few dollars difference, but when I'm there for 10-17 days, relying totally on my jamaican cash reserves, the difference works out to giving me $200-$300 more US dollars of spending power over the vacation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Well if you're not doing alot of cash transactions while visiting Jamaica, it's not worth worrying about a few dollars difference, but when I'm there for 10-17 days, relying totally on my jamaican cash reserves, the difference works out to giving me $200-$300 more US dollars of spending power over the vacation.
    I can only say from my spending that it is not that much of a difference. I realize that everyone has a different spending pattern and some more frugal than others. I stay for 45 days each trip and here is how it goes for me.
    My total spending in Jamaica for room, food, transportation and incidentals is about $3000 US If I get either $133.00 or $135.00 for 1 US dollar (as an example), the difference is two extra Jamaican Dollars times $3000 US or $6000 Jamaican Dollars. About $44 US dollars or $1.00 US dollar per day of stay. I know it is money I might be losing but not worth the hassle to get out of my comfort zone doing it like I always have done.

I bring in $2000 in Cash and exchange it in Sav La Mar at a good rate. Pay for my lodging and keep about $5000 Jamaican in my pocket for walk around money and the rest stored in a safe, secured place for later use. Then I have a PayPal Debit card with $1250.00 on it I use at an ATM when I need it. PayPal card is not linked to a bank account so the worse I can lose is the $1250. I have a turned off Wells Fargo card in case of an emergency. I have never had to turn it on and usually leave with $250.00 or more on the PayPal card.

Your way works for you and mine works for me. As long as we both get what we need and have a great time doing it, then there is no problem. Hope you have a great trip again this year.

Respect
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.