Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The reef/Poachers

User Info Menu

Re: The reef/Poachers

Captain Dennis Abrahams in Treasure Beach has done an amazing job on the south coast with a fish sanctuary. Perhaps he and some fishermen in the Negril area can meet up to see if a similar project could be done in Negril. Here is a great article about Capt Dennis http://blog.korwater.com/water-cause...nnis-abrahams/

User Info Menu

Hopefully all who have read this post will take some kind of action while visiting this awesome place on this earth. Talk to a local about this concern, tell tourists who surround the kayaks as they land on the beach about this concern. It real and if it continues, it will further the demise of the reef and the bounty that it protects. Save the turtles! Save the reef!

User Info Menu

Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

The local government has got to take a stand. It will not be cured overnight but without someone of authority standing up to address this very important issue, it will continue to get worse. Locals have got to pay attention, they have the most to lose. Wake up... Save the Reef!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SazO View Post
    There needs to be some form of Marine Conservation, like zones.

The Marine Police did nothing when we were there, apart from come to Bloody Bay, moor up, grab a drink, chat with some locals, grab another drink, motor back to their mooring by Hedo, day done!

Sustainability is key here. However, without education sustainability and conservation areas ain't gonna happen.
    They are there they just have to do something about it.

User Info Menu

Watch Booby Cay at around 5am and it is crawling with fisherman. Down by grand lido net fishing happens every day. When I first saw pics of the coral 15 years ago to what it is now I almost cried, there is nothing left. My wife and I laughed out loud when we heard there was people regulating the fisherman. Our trip in Oct will be our tenth trip in 5 years and the only change we have seen is MORE people in the water. I'm not sure who is hurting Negril's reef so fast, and I would never tell anyone not to make a living, but I fear over fishing one spot in a short period of time is going to come back and haunt everyone.

User Info Menu

Has anybody seen an increase in patrols dealing with poachers as noted in this article?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Here

User Info Menu

How might one determine that a lobster is too small by regulation? The ones I've had right on the beach didn't seem small at all but I'm just curious if there is a specific length to refuse.

Catcha '11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InnaDiRed View Post
    How might one determine that a lobster is too small by regulation? The ones I've had right on the beach didn't seem small at all but I'm just curious if there is a specific length to refuse.
    The tail is measured with a gauge. 76mm or larger is legal. Not that anyone walking the beach would have. Most that I have seen coming in on the kayaks are too small.