Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: First time Negril Trip report

User Info Menu

Re: First time Negril Trip report

Quote Originally Posted by 68Stang View Post
    Select,

It was a pleasure to meet you, your wife, and reconnect with your sister and brother in law on the one love tour. Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did. good luck and hope to see you again in the future in Negril!
    It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Plans are currently that we will return to negril next spring break.

User Info Menu

Day 5 -

Sorry, got mired down in reality, but I do want to finish this trip report.

The next morning we had to be up and down to coconuts early to get some breakfast and catch our chartered boat to the island. I love boating, and we have a boat ourselves at home, so I had been kinda itching to get out on the water all week. Bernard was there, along with his girlfriend Veronica, my wife, my sister and her husband, and a few of the locals, including the owner of coconuts.

The boat ride out to the island was about 45 minutes, and during this time, Bernard and Veronica were explaining to us the petition to stop the building of the breakwater (jetty). Their main concern was the preservation of the coral reef and that the breakwater would damage it. Coming from Virginia Beach, I told them how jetty's built there really did a lot to actually improve the beachfront conditions and preserve erosion, but that our situation was different because we didn't have a reef to have to protect.

The island was gorgeous. There was a little hut structure with a thached roof in the middle, next to a camp cooking firepit that acted as the kitchen.

Our tour guides unleaded everything, started a fire and began to prepare the meal.

My wife and Veronica immediately set out looking for pretty shells and pieces of coral. There was a little shaded cove of several trees together right on the beach with a 2x8 for seating, where you're feet coule actually touch the water. Beautiful spot.

This island seems to be over run with feral cats. Bernard came up to me and said, "See all these cats? This is why we are worried about the breakwaters."

"What's cats have to do with a jetty or coral reef?" I asked.

"This island is owned and maintained by the same agency that wants to build the breakwater." he answered.

I countered with, "But this is probably a pretty good spot for the cats. They don't seem to be hurting anyone." as I watched my wife feed a young, slim black cat with a bright pink nose a sliver of her fish.

"Yeah, but this is *supposed* to be a bird sanctuary."

Point taken.

Our meal was delicious.

After we ate, we were lounging around on the beach when a storm rolled in, rather quickly. It was lightening, and you could see the rain approaching. We had to decide to cram in under the shelter on the island and wait it out, or quickly make for the shore in the boat. In my experience owning a boat, I said we should wait it out on the island. But the captain pointed out that the boat had a roof and would provide some shelter. Others in our party insisted that we should listen to the captain and head for shore. Reluctantly, I allowed myself to be persuaded, and we quickly packed up and shoved off.

I will tell you this. Jamaican locals know a lot about a lot of different things, but apparently, being out on the water during a storm is not one of those things, as this was a mistake. It rained harder that afternoon that I've seen on a long, long time, with raindrops bigger than a US quarter. We headed straight for the shore, next to where Hedo is located, but because of the rough waters it took a good while to get there. All of us were absolutely drenched.

I forget the name of the place we stopped at, but we were able to order up some red stripes, and continued the party. Before too long, the rain stopped, and we boarded the boat once again and headed back to coconuts.

In all, it was a fairly entertaining excursion. I'm definitely glad we got to see the island and spend time there with each other and our new friends. I'm not sure we'll go back there next time we visit, but it is something I think everyone would like to see.

Once back, we decided to take a nap and prepare ourselves for the evening. Tonight was Thursday night, ladies night at the jungle. And we planed to close that place down. :-)

Next Installment - Day 5 (cont.) Ladies Night at the Jungle.

User Info Menu

Right next to Hedo would be Point Village, on the other side Sandal, maybe Boardwalk ?
    Soon come!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thatswhatshesaid View Post
    Right next to Hedo would be Point Village, on the other side Sandal, maybe Boardwalk ?
    I do remember it was right next to Sandals, now that you mention it.

User Info Menu

Its probably Boardwalk then or the place next to it, Our Past Times. Those are the only 2 places up that way where you could purchase a brew, everything else is AI.
    Stayed there in Feb. , also have stayed at Our Past Times. Both nice places.
    Soon come!

User Info Menu

It was Our Past Time, Select...I remember that much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N5_ View Post
    It was Our Past Time, Select...I remember that much.
    Man, that rain in the storm was just brutal, wasn't it, lol.

User Info Menu

I am loving your report! Where is Coconuts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cleome View Post
    I am loving your report! Where is Coconuts?
    It's a couple of venues north of Burbon Beach. Bright yellow, next door to a kayack rental place.

User Info Menu

Thank you for this great report,Select....What was the name of the island with all the cats? Thanks, Don