Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

User Info Menu

Re: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bjritz View Post
    Wow! This is great, another cool place to add to my list of want to do things. Great pics of your drive to the mountains.
    It was a very cool place. I think you'd enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Loving your report and photos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    Loving your report and photos!
    Thanks. More coming!

User Info Menu

We had such serious sand gravity this trip that we found we could only rouse from our beach chairs every other day but we did make it up to the cliffs a few times. We usually split our stays between the beach and the cliffs but this year we only had a week and we love Idle Awhile so much that we decided to stay there for the whole week. And it was great but I found I really missed the cliffs. There is just a different feeling that comes into my soul when I am on the cliffs. For me it is a spiritual feeling and I missed it!

The day after we went to Zimbali was our beach day. We get up early, head into the water (I should say we are caressed by the water as that's what it feels like to me) and then to our table at the Idle Awhile restaurant for breakfast. As I said by the time we get out of the water there is a fresh pot of hot coffee waiting for us at the table! How can you beat that? And boy oh boy do I miss that! After breakfast we head to our chairs in the shade that Eric or Aaron have set up for us. My husband gets bored just sitting on the beach and so he will roam around and see what everybody else is doing. That's why Idle Awhile is so great for us, especially this trip when Idle Awhile was hosting so many great and interesting people. It seemed that this particular group of guests during that week all just kind of got along together and became a little community of friends. So every day you would check in with everyone about what they did the night before, what they had planned for their night, etc. And that would lead to other conversations. This is my husband's comfort zone. He loves it. So he always had someone to talk to on this trip and I could join the conversation, start my own or just sit and watch the scene on the beach unfold, which is what I did a lot of.

There were two families in particular staying at Idle Awhile at the same time that I particularly enjoyed watching and getting to know. One was a grandma and grandpa with their two daughters, husbands and the three grandchildren. What a beautiful family! It was nice to watch them all interacting with each other and having a great time together. The youngest child was afraid of the water and wouldn't go in. It was great watching this unfold throughout the week as varying family members would try to coax him. And sure enough towards the end of the week they got him in, clinging to his dad's neck for dear life. Then that evolved into his dad holding him while his grandpa would taunt him "Don't you dare push me into the water" which of course he would and that game would continue for awhile. Little by little they got him into the water, playing in the water and then gradually eased him into an inflatable beach ring. By the end of the week he would walk right up to the lifeguard chair, pick up that ring and walk into the ocean by himself! Great fun to watch.

Now I know that there is a lot of hustling and hassling that goes on on the beach. There have been times in previous trips that we've been trying to enjoy a walk on the beach and run into one or two persistent people who hassled us until we had to get rude but at Idle Awhile the vendors are always respectful and only come on the beach when invited. As I mentioned we have some vendors that we know and have bought from before and this trip was no different. I especially enjoy the pastries from Anthony and we bought from him several times and his pastries are very good and his coco bread warm. But there is something new I discovered this year and I can't believe no one has told me about these before and that is the peanut drops and the cocodrops! Holy cow, why have people been holding out on these tasty morsels? I ended up buying these several days on the beach and I wish I knew the name of the young man who sold them or had a picture but I was too busy stuffing them in my face to take time for a picture! Wow, are they good. People have surely been holding out on me!

Of course you've got to get fruit from the fruit lady. "Aaannny fruttttt?" She is such a delight. We got fresh pineapple and fresh coconut from her and my husband got some great snaps of her which are below. I have never tasted such great coconut and it's such fun to watch her open it and then to drink the fresh coconut water right out of the shell! My husband shot some pics of her while she was cutting up the fruit and then when done asked her if he could take another picture of her smiling for the camera. She agreed and said "wait one minute, wait one minute, mon" Then she had me hand her all her different bags and baskets and arranged them on her body exactly the way she carries them, said she was ready now and then posed for him like she was Tyra Banks! I loved it.

Name:  IMG_0847.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0853.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0854.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  98.7 KB

User Info Menu

Love Miss Cortiss such a sweet lady. Thanks for the report - keep it coming...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2nutz4travel View Post
    Love Miss Cortiss such a sweet lady. Thanks for the report - keep it coming...
    She is a very sweet lady and very good with a knife! She reported that her toe was much better and showed it to me. It looked pretty good to me, but I'm certainly not a doctor. Glad you're enjoying the report.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your patience in reading this report. I don't get to the computer that often so it's taking longer than I thought it would.

Well, what trip to Negril would be complete without a trip to 3 Dives? To be honest, and I hope all you Negrilites out there won't hate me, I am not a big fan of 3 Dives. It is just not my cup of tea. But the couple we had dinner with at Zimbali asked if we wanted to join them at 3 Dives for dinner and so off we went. We got there just before sunset, grabbed a beer and walked around for a few minutes. As the sun was setting my husband grabbed a few shots which I think turned out pretty well. It wasn't a great sunset but it was pretty as you can see below.

Name:  IMG_0772.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0780.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0789.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  96.9 KB

Our friends arrived and we had dinner and hung out until about 10:00. It was a lovely night, but once again really hot and humid. I had the lobster which was good, it came with plenty of melted butter, which I like, but it was $30.00. Later that week I saw lobster on the menu of several restaurants on the beach that were also charging about $30.00 for their lobster dinners, so the price wasn't so good. My husband had the curried goat, which he always loves and the other couple had jerk chicken. And the added the extra hot sauce! I think they may have regretted that move after a couple of bites. We enjoyed the evening very much, had a few beers, lots of laughs and slept very well that night.

User Info Menu

Forget about chess.

Name:  P1000053.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  91.0 KB

User Info Menu

Wonderful report! Your writing makes me feel as though I'm seeing it all myself.