Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Jet skis soon come

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Jet skis soon come

Jaherring,

The ban was lifted months ago, but the onus is now on the operators to get current with the new safety regulations. The reason they are not operating is that they have not complied with the new rules.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    We missed riding them last week and it was rough seeing the jet ski operators losing so much money. Times are hard and at least they were making an honest living. Some folks are selfish by complaining about a likkle noise. Those guys need the work!!
    Or you can make the argument that some folks are selfish for wanting the noise of the jet skis. This is a contentious issue that will see passion from both sides. I personally do not like the jet skis but also do not like overregulation of anything.

User Info Menu

I will be super happy if the ban is still in place for my trip. Two previous trips to Negril left me wanting more snorkel time. My fear of getting hit by one of the way too many pwc kept me from snorkelling both off the cliffs and beach. I was so intimidated I resorted to going on guided trips to the reef instead of a small group of friends with dive markers. I admit I rented a pwc the first time I was there and it was quite fun. A minimal rundown of how to operate it and instructed to be back in an hour no later and I was on my way. I was driving so slow looking out for random swimmers/snorkelers it took me an hour to go half way up the beach and back. I think if they had a better location away from the beach to rent and maybe offers to go on a guided tour that I would be open to renting one again. As it stands I hope they stay banned

User Info Menu

You were driving slow on a jet ski?? You missed the thrill completely. Thats like riding a slow roller coaster. You gotta open that machine up and make it roar and jump those waves. maybe they will be back for my Feb. trip. I can only hope. We missed them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onthecorner View Post
    And i forgot, do something about the damn horses who at time seem to run loose....it is only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt.....respect onthecorner
    Our last trip there these two guys were riding horses, they went by us from behind, I felt the wind from the horse as it passed me by no more than a foot away. The rider didn't have control as he was yanking on the reigns and yelling at the horse but it kept running. I looked back at the sand the horses print was literally 2 feet from my own print. I have no idea why they are allowed on a public beach. Very scary.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,
    You are almost always right, but I don't think so this time. I know that there are a few people who have done the training and have completed requirements but the ban is still on except in Ocho rios. They are doing a trial there to see how to set it up. They keep postponing the lift of the ban for the rest of the island which was supposed to be August 1. This is from the Tourism Product Development Company TPDCo. Who knows what kind of politics gwaan?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hi Judy,

The ban has been lifted island wide by the Ministry of Tourism for personal and commercial personal water craft. It is not being postponed.

The new regulations in place include the training you mention but also proper registration, inspections, insurance requirements, water access launch routes, etc. (more details in the Observer link below).

Politics has nothing to do with it, but the insurance might. Check with your people if they have obtained the necessary insurance coverage. This has been a problem for many operators in St. Ann - here is a link to an article in the Gleaner in June:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=53488

TPDCo is taking a zero-tolerance stance to non-regulations and violations. Perhaps your people have completed part of the new regulations but not all. Here is a link to their warnings and explains some of the regulations.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...rning_17257700

Talking with two of the main commercial jet ski operators just last week in Negril (and always legal operators in the past), they are still in the process of finalizing the new requirements. Until the operators complete all the requirements, they are not allowed to operate.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob!