Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast

Thread: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

User Info Menu

Re: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

Evening…showered…dressed…hungry

I hadn’t eaten since breakfast so I was queasy on top of hungry. Can’t eat anything sweet spicy or there will be a battle going on between the food and the rum. Went into town for soup of course. Stopped at the cook shop on the right side just before entering town. One of these visits I must get the official name of that place. The soup was HOT and swirling with flavor. Gee, it’s all coming back to me. That’s good because I was too weak to keep notes or raise the camera to take photos.

Lobster soup! The pieces were small and scarce but oh that flavor made up for the lack of meat. The 150J cost of the soup also excused the meager bits.

Drove to the soccer field to eat. The perfect weather from the day’s beginning continued through the evening then on to the night.

Now I feel like socializing a little. Called Rox, one of the Canadian ladies I met on the plane. She was excited I called. Told me she and her group are on the upper level of a downtown complex. I had no clue.

Walking the nearly deserted town, I suddenly hear someone call my name. I look up and see nothing but a beaming smile and arms waving.

“Up here, Vi.”
    I look around but don’t see steps.
    “Wait there Steve is coming down to walk you up. The stairs are tricky…narrow.”

A tall, slim young man of about 21 seemed to appear from a crack in the side of the building. He greets me and I follow. She was right about the staircase being tricky and narrow, but didn’t tell me it was pitch black. Steve was in front of me and didn’t mind my hand on his backpack to guide my stepping upward.

Laughter broke out as I made my way around the corner of the balcony and was given a big “hello” hug from Rox. She introduced me to everyone in the party consisting of some of the young people who attended the workshop.

I hear my name again. It’s the bubbly and cute as a button Rachel. She held a box meal in her left hand as she hugged me with her right. We chatted for about 20 minutes. They were leaving the next day for Kingston. I tried hard to get there but couldn’t find a driver to take me. O’Neil flat out refuses to go near Kingston. Don’t get me started on that struggle. Anyway, it was a nice gathering and we will keep in touch.

I have a nice picture of the two of them, except for one serious distortion…I’m in it.

User Info Menu

7/9/14 Wednesday - day 6

Before breakfast. It looked like rain may pay Portland a visit today so I made up my mind to stay close or maybe ride to the Rio Grande.

Breakfast: ackee & saltfish, boiled banana, fried breadfruit and plaintains. Everything was excellent and boy would I love to have that plate of food right now.

After breakfast I look outside to see sunshine all over the place. Another amazing day.

Heavenly Father I thank you with all my soul for the gift of this beautiful morning here in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

The day couldn’t be brighter or more pleasant weather-wise. The temperature was in the low 80’s but not humid at all That’s when I changed plans from going to my spot along the river to packing a bag and heading to Under the Rock beach.

i always get the same somber feeling when passing through Manchoneal. A true sleeping town...appears to be a very uneventful community. I know when we enter the area before seeing signs or landmarks. A drowsy type of vibe seems to lie in waiting along the roadside and enters the car along with the breeze. There’s got to me some action here...somewhere...at sometime.

User Info Menu

12:06, forty minutes after leaving Fairy Hill, I see the familiar blue and white, 3-store pillar structure on the horizon.

User Info Menu

Wasn’t alone today. With school being out you are definitely going to find children on all the beaches at any time. Today, only a couple of little guys were in the water. On the second balcony there was about 6 teen age boys chatting, playing a hand held game and listening to music taking time once in a while to dance for a few seconds. Just enough twisting, dipping or jumping indicating a favorite part in the tune.

Two ladies sat side by side in the shallow waters keeping an eye on the three little guys in the water. Man were they having a ball. Their laughter filled the spacious beach cove. Squeals echoing off the rocks and drifting on the mild waves of the waters they frolicked in. I was jealous of their pure childish delight. I sip my red stripe and smile as their small frames sprint in and out of the water.

Back on the beach they would fill their underwear with damp sand until the wet pants bulged and sag from the weight of the load. Okay, now that didn’t appeal to me, but it was fun to watch. Kids...what doesn’t creep you out makes it to your list of fun things to do.

User Info Menu

The water has been warmed by the sun. Calm and oh so perfectly clear. The sand on this beach is coarse, but I find it’s easier to stand on...to balance myself even without water shoes.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Renovations were going on at one of the beach bars. I know when I return it’s going to look great. I counted three bars on the lower level so I imagine when the big parties are happening there is no lack of booze.

This is what the bar looked like in October.

Work in progress.

User Info Menu

Glad to see your back on this trip report, I needed my daily fix. The more you post pictures the more I get excited to get to Portie again. This seems like the perfect place to fall in love or fall in love with. I will love to go to a beach party there. Where exactly is Under Di Rock located, when do they normally have their parties, I would love to attend.

User Info Menu

(((Butterfly))), Portland will be all that “you” need her to be as you continue to heal. There are so many intimate places that will allow you visit your special memories without distraction. This beach would be perfect for you. It’s on the main road in Zion Country and should only take less than 30 minutes to get there. Can’t miss the building because you can see it way before you get to it. The drive is a pleasant one.

I just found this and once you check out their site, I’m sure you’ll want to check them out.

http://www.underdirock.com/