Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Thread: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

User Info Menu

Re: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

First stop was the cambio. I went to a different cambio because the one I normally visit is on the second floor of a store and I didn’t want to be bothered with two flights of steps. I noticed above the cambio, in the corner is the Dekal Internet Cafe & Bistro. It’s on my list of places to try. Thought about going up after I finished taking care of business but remembered I didn’t want to be bothered with steps so I’ll save that for a day when I’m not feeling so lazy.

I had the nicest teller wait on me in that cambio. I’m used to slipping my money & passport in the well under the Plexiglas divider, straining to hear whatever the teller is saying to me, retrieving my exchange then leaving with a quick thank you. But this teller was very social which made me not regret trying someplace new.

“Count your money…count your money…count your money now before you left the window.”

I did as told and it was all there.

Digicel store was next. I could tell the wait was going to be a long one. Boy did I hate being in that store. The AC was nice, but I don’t enjoy standing in lines no matter how comfortable the place is or the reason. Thank goodness I had my music and a decent set of ear buds. Twenty-two minutes later it’s finally my turn. I want to purchase your cheapest phone. The associate left the counter, went to the back and came back with a little black box. It didn’t matter what the thing looked like I’ll take it so I could leave that store. He showed it to me. I said it’s fine…I’ll take it.

Another 17 minutes later I walk out with a new phone. Once I got to the car and gave it a good look, I really liked it. Called momz immediately so she’ll have the new number. Went to voice mail but left the details.

User Info Menu

Next was the market area to see Suzie and get my supply of movies. I remembered to bring the portable dvd player this time so I’m going to load up. She was there and so were her very active 6 year old daughter and the new baby girl who is absolutely adorable. Sat and chatted while I looked through her inventory. Didn’t see much that interested me so I only bought five instead of ten. Told her I would return later.

“Yes mon. come around…come back on Wednesday. I will have new movies on Wednesday.”

I spy a vegetable stand not too far from Suzie so I go take a look. NICE freshness me see. She had plenty of cucumbers and everything else. I usually buy from different vendors but her produce looked the freshest plus she had everything I wanted.

User Info Menu

It’s past lunch so we go seeking soup.

User Info Menu

Sweet Portland

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post

User Info Menu

Vi- Dekal is where we got our morning coffee almost every day. There doesn't seem to be alot of options around PA.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Sigh...yes she is Sammy, yes she is...

Sandman, the bistro looks impressive but I never got to check it out. You are right, unless you brew coffee in your room, there aren't many places that serve breakfast so the options are limited.

User Info Menu

He had to pull to the side and walk to Zilla for the soup because the road leading to the restaurant is blocked. That was fine with me because the street is narrow, sandwiched between a wall of overgrown brush and buildings. No breeze makes it through that lane at any time it seems. Besides, I get to watch the construction workers sweat.

I look up to see a couple casually stroll pass the car. Both had hair that hung inches above their waists and that’s what caught my attention…the black and grey blended evenly in his thick locks while her beautiful tress was a mixture of blonde and grey. Hand in hand they stepped in sync making their way along the construction battered pavement. Their obvious devotion to each other was something developed over time and to be respected.

I’ve seen lots of hand holding couples in Jamaica. Love is everywhere here. But these two appeared to be as spiritually harmonized as they were physically different. Watching them was like seeing mobilized beauty passing through the dust, racket, traffic and chaos of down town construction.

Another quick stop for a cold beverage. I wanted plum juice. Only had it once and it seems I’m always here when the fruit is out of season. I think it’s a winter fruit. But I always ask just the same. No plum juice. Settled for water, too early for a red stripe. Huh??? Did I just admit that??????

This photo is a reminder to me of how a typical breathtaking view can be seen at a glance almost daily somewhere in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

We sat across from the cricket field to eat. Another serene spot where I will never miss spending time at. I remember thinking that the soup was adequate, not flavorful at all, and how I would like to find a new soup vendor.

Decided to go to folly field to finish eating because a couple of dogs sat too close to the car. I like to keep the door open to catch the breeze, but was afraid one of the dogs would jump in the car and cause me to literally kick out the windshield in order to get out. O’Neil said that would never happen, the dogs jumping in the car, but I didn’t believe him so asked that we move. Bought ginups from a guy as we were leaving. They looked fine, but were tart. I love the fruit with the strange texture so was determined to find nice ripe sweet ones before I left the island.

User Info Menu

Once we got to the field, I forgot about the bland soup and tart ginups. Had to get out and wander around. Enjoy the awesome breeze and view.

The frame of the mansion is still standing. Doesn’t look any different from the last time I was up here which was over a year ago. But what I do find more surprising is plenty of people come up here to sit and chill or do other “things” yet, the grounds are never littered with trash or the lawn not kept cut. Although remote, I never feel unsafe here. Shows how much attention the folly grounds get from the city. That will keep me coming back again and again.

“Do you want to go inside to take new pictures?” O’Neil asks.
    “NO THANKS, once was enough.”

User Info Menu

This is why the festival couldn’t be held here…

I go to the car to finish the soup. Wasn’t feeling it, but didn’t want to waste it.

“Vi?”
    “Yeah?”
    “Your old phone. The one that nuh work. What are you going to do with it?”
    “I guess throw it away. Why???!”
    “I want it.”
    “You can get it to work?”
    “Yep, I think I can. If I can’t I know a guy who can fix any phone.”
    “Wait, you let me spend money on a phone when that one could have been fixed?”
    “I thought you wanted a upgrade.”
    “Why would you think that when I only use it here?”
    “Can I have it?”
    “No, I’m positive it’s not going to work for you either.”
    “Why not?”
    “Because I’m going to smash it with a rock.”

…I know, I can be so mean

We leave and go back into town so he can pick up a few passengers. After one trip I went back to the room to make a few calls to check in with momz and check up on the kid…the one who has my car…lol