Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Brown Rice in Negril

User Info Menu

Finding Brown Rice in Negril

Greetings!
    I am going to be on the island in a few weeks. I am on a special eating regime. One of the staples is brown rice. I am wondering if I'll have to bring some with me or if I can purchase at Hi Low or Value Market. Popular brands: Lundberg, Bobs Red Mill, and Dan D Pack. The rice usually takes between 45 min to an hour to cook. Sometimes a rice is advertised as brown rice that it is yet it's been processed and stripped of nutrients that are critical for me to have. Uncle Bens has one that is labeled brown rice / but it's been through a lot of processing already.

Can I buy it there or should I bring it with me?

Thank you

User Info Menu

Re: Finding Brown Rice in Negril

I would bring your own

User Info Menu

I just bought a small rice steamer from Amazon that cooks the rice beautifully as well as steams veggies, etc. If you have room, might consider one. Cooks and evens clicks to warm. Sure would cut down on the work and give you more time to enjoy Negril.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Yes, I have bought it at HiLo and ValueMaster, sometimes Quality Traders. I can't think of the name but it is a brand I see in the states, a nice clean rice. I can see the package in my mind but not the name, LOL.

One/some of the stores had begun offering store-bagged like they sell counter flour, sugar, cornmeal etc., but lots of picking to clean it.

User Info Menu

Mahatma Brown Rice, that's the brand!

User Info Menu

They do have brown rice there, but there is this brand I buy at Costco that I love so I usually bring a big zip lock bag of it in my suitcase.

User Info Menu

Don't worry, the rice turns brown after the peas are cooked in it!

User Info Menu

It looks like I can find the Mahatma brown rice! yea!!! I love brown rice. For some reason I never get tired of eating it.
    Last edited by kleen24; 10-22-2014 at 10:08 PM.

User Info Menu

is this the unprocessed brown rice? If so that would be great.

User Info Menu

OH EXCELLENT!! that will do just fine! Thank you very much!