Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First week in December visit...more beach "vendors"?

User Info Menu

Re: First week in December visit...more beach "vendors"?

Was only comparing Negril to itself. I think Negril is tame compared to the street gangs of most European cities, where no one works alone. As the commotion grows the accomplices work the pockets of the distracted tourists and even slash backpacks. I guess I can put up with some pushy "vendors"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justchuck View Post
    You mean you don't want the newbies to get a FREE bracelet!
    I like that!

User Info Menu

fyi - those bracelets are at the chinaman's store at times square for .99!!
    i always bring a bunch to give away.
    they are always a hit!!

User Info Menu

One positive thing about the "vendors" is that they provide a pretty reliable weather report. If you see rain clouds, and you think they are coming your way, if the "vendors" have cleared the beach, its time to pack up and head to the bar!

User Info Menu

my wife Lisa tells me she pays 100 ja each and no more, soon come

User Info Menu

The wife and I had a great walk on the beach yesterday. Started at Point Village and ended at Kenny's Chinese Restaurant (close to Travelers) with several stops along the way. I had read this post before starting the walk and was prepared for the worst. Believe it our not we were not asked to buy anything or hassled in anyway for the entire section of the beach from the Point to Sun Beach. The wife had a great massage at Boardwalk village and we stopped for patties for lunch at Auntie's Cheap Thrill corner along the way (great patties). I was pleasantly surprised that the guy with the kid who had hassled us last year in the wooded section by the road didn't make an appearance.

We used to stay at Firefly and the locals at Sun Beach (next door to Firefly) were disappointed that I didn't want to buy any of their goods like in times past, but it was all handled with a sense of humor and no harsh words were ever exchanged.

After rehydrating ourselves with ice cold Red Stripes we walked to Tony's hut for sundown and more hydration. I was probably asked to buy the usual stuff about three times. The worse it got was that I had to say "no thanks I am all set" a couple of times to get some of them to realize that I was truly not interested.

After Tony's hut we walked to Keney's Chinese place to pickup takeout food for Dinner ( it was delicious) and called our driver for pickup. Again had to say " Thanks, I am all set a couple of times" along the way.

Based on yesterday's walk I do not think things are much different from any of our other visits and am looking forward to many more walks this reach.

YaMon,

TedP