Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connectivity in Negril - Lime vs Digicell?

User Info Menu

Re: Connectivity in Negril - Lime vs Digicell?

I use a Lime phone. Works great!
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I couldn't get Digicel to work on my older phone so I tried Lime and it works just fine, never had a problem and it's easy to top up on line.

User Info Menu

I'm new to all this phone stuff so forgive my ignorance....but I have an old Verizon LG flip phone.
    1. If I get it unlocked here, can I take it to Jamaica and take to the Lime store for them to make it a "Jamaica phone"?
    2. If answer to #1 is yes, should I get it unlocked here or in Jamaica?

User Info Menu

Only if it has a removable sim. Most older Verizon phones don't use sims.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negrilgirl View Post
    I'm new to all this phone stuff so forgive my ignorance....but I have an old Verizon LG flip phone.
    1. If I get it unlocked here, can I take it to Jamaica and take to the Lime store for them to make it a "Jamaica phone"?
    2. If answer to #1 is yes, should I get it unlocked here or in Jamaica?
    You need to have a sim card. We had our IPhone unlocked last year by a fellow in Negril. He's right beside Burger King in the mall above the Digicel shop.

User Info Menu

The phone also has to operate on the same band (frequency) as the network you're using it on. Most phones these days operate on more than just one band. If it works in the US then it will work in Ja but is worth checking just to be sure. Other than that the phone just has to accept a SIM card and be unlocked.

I purchased a cheap unlocked Samsung duel SIM phone (new\unlocked) online which can hold both my US carrier SIM and my Digi SIM at the same time. It was less then $50 if I recall. It's very basic and doesn't have data but is perfect for calls and short txt's. I use my Digi SIM for all of my call\txt. Digi has a Bundle you can purchase for 1000 credits (mins on your phone) that allows you to make 660 minutes of calls back home. International txt's shouldn't cost too much but charges can add up quickly. It's usually better to call if you need to have a conversation.

If you get phones from a driver you will likely have to pay a deposit for each phone. They are usually very basic phones. There may be credits left on it but don't count on it. You may also want to ask if they are Lime or Digicel so you can check rates etc. If you're US phone is paid for (out of contract etc) you can get the unlock code from your provider so it will allow you to use other SIM cards. Then you can just use your drivers SIM in your phone if you want. If its not unlocked via your provider then it is probably being done illegally and could void any warranties etc.

With my duel SIM phone people back home can call\txt the US number if they are worried about charges but I get roaming charges. I make all my calls on my Digi line, which is cheaper. We check in back home when it's convenient for us so we don't get calls. I was getting a lot of BS calls and txts on my US SIM so now I don't use it all. I just use my digi SIM exclusivly.

For USD$13.46 you'll get 1200 credits on the phone using digi online topup. That would give you 660 international mins (if you purchase the international bundle) and 200 credits for local calls. I purchased my Digi SIM and top it up every couple of months with a small amount to keep it active. When I get to Ja I have plenty of credits on the phone to purchase my international bundle and make local calls. It's very convient to use the same phone and number if you travel often enough. It is a bit of pain to remember to top it up. It's best if you can roam with your Digi SIM at home. If you get a t-mobile or AT&T wireless signal you can roam with digi on their networks. I only turn it on when I top up just to make sure it went through or if I need to call Ja. There's a US roaming bundle you can purchase too.

I never used Lime so I can't speak to their rates but I'm sure their website has all the info you need as does digicel's.

http://www.digiceljamaica.com/

http://www.lime.com/jm/personal/mobile-jamaica

I mostly use my netbook for my data needs such as checking email etc at my convenience. We like to disconnect as much as possible when where there so the smart phone stays mostly packed away.

I use to work in the wireless industry. Always be aware of what charges you are incurring. At least with a prepaid plan you won't have bill shock. Roaming with your US phone can rack up charges rather quickly. I've talked to several upset parents that let their children use their phones on vacations. One only turned their phone on once but received a bunch of txts when they did, each billed at the roaming rate. I personally would not let my children even turn on their US phone in Ja with the way kids txt.
    Last edited by Kevin, PA; 01-25-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

VVHT: You lucky man who is going to our favourite island. You know what to do. Personal Message our moderator and he will advise. f

User Info Menu

Kevin, Good information! Thanks

Big_Frank, did your favorite stool change after the renovations at Seastar???

User Info Menu

I had my note 3 unlocked via a website for about 30 dollars. Once I did that, I put the digicell sim in and it worked like a charm. Just need to go to Digicel and buy a data plan. In fact I think there's an app for that.

User Info Menu