Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo traveler tips ect.

User Info Menu

Solo traveler tips ect.

Hi I'm just a couple weeks away from my first solo trip to negril as a single male. Staying at jayshideaway for a week then I'm up in air bout my last three days there , coming with no plans but to explore beach and west end and hopefully make my way up to orange hill . I'm an avid hiker and mountian bike rider hoping to see and meet lots of people. Does anyone know how long it would take to walk to orange hill if possible by trail or by mountian bike ? Also wanna spend some time at the blue hole if I'm not mistaken ? Out past west end . Again are these two places withing reach by foot or bike ? If any one has any experiences with these places I'd live to hear . Also any tips or recommendations for a local driver / tour guide friend to join me if needed. I'm getting nervous some days and very excited others . Hoping to make a web cast or two and do the one love bus tour also. Gonna be bringing my notebook for first trip report also ))((

User Info Menu

Re: Solo traveler tips ect.

Well, firstly you will love Jays. It's run by a lovely couple, Judith and Jay. For many of the questions you have regarding driver/tour guides, etc., they will be able to point you in the right direction as they have some great connections... people that they use regularly or they have been put on to by past guests, friends, etc. They are in a great location if you like to walk. Right in the middle of both the 7 mile beach and the cliffs... walking is definitely the way to go. I'm not familiar with Orange Hill but did go to Blue Hole in November. It is a fairly new and unspoiled location for now. I went with a group of about 12...adults and kids. You do have to pay a small fee to go in whether it is just to swim in the mineral spring fed pool and/or to actually go down into the Blue Hole itself. They serve refreshments and cook to order.
    Don't be nervous... just be aware. You will meet many wonderful people. Enjoy your time. You're sure to love it!! Em..

User Info Menu

I would not recommend (as a first time tourist to Jamaica) attempting to hike to Orange Hill, and certainly not by trails. You do not want to stumble onto someone's ganja plot unannounced, among other things.

User Info Menu

I've been to the island many times in my twenties . Used to do more all inclusives when I was married . Came with a group of guys once and stayed at nbcc. It's my first solo trip . I was hoping to have a guide with me for the hike . If needed . I've heard and red about trails in the area . Was hoping to explore more this time is all . I'm from a bad city myself a lot of crazies here lol . I'm pretty street smart and book smart as well . Also well traveled in Mexico and Guatemala by foot and back pack . Thank you for the info much appreciated . I may end up making my way to lost beach for three nites after my week at jays. I'm gonna talk to jay and Judith and hopefully they will have a friend / local to travel with me for day if needed to go see surrounding area.

User Info Menu

Oh also sorry to bug . If anyone here has been to jays I was wondering if they have a maintaince worker / Gardner so to say or security gaurd . I always come bearing gifts and have a few items a maintaince guy may like or need . Just getting my list straight )

User Info Menu

I would find a Jamaican friend that you could find there when talking to your host about what you want do. Talk tip aka payment before your adventures and pay on your return. Like posted already Orange Hill even with a local can sometimes be scary. Leave the Bling at home. Pack less clothes . Take more cash. AND NEVER EXCHANGE CURRENCY ON THE STREET

User Info Menu

Hey Bigtime, if you are in need of a trusted red plate taxi driver i would recommend Patrick been using him for years, been all over the island with him. give him a ring at 876-863-0715 nice clean car always on time and will take you anywhere you want. tell him Karen sent u and enjoy your trip!

User Info Menu

Oh thanks for the contact Karen . Appreciate it. . I've heard several people say scary or don't go when orange hill is mentioned . Let's try Belmont . I'd just like to get outta negril for a day . Say a brassi trip report where here went there for a few nites with a guy named Biggs and his family run place . I'm looking to do same thing see more than normal make friends and hear stories ect . Also a big peter tosh fan lol

User Info Menu

Bigtime, if you would like to get out of Negril for a day or so and want to hike, contact Accompong, )he is a frequent contributor on here) he lives in Accomong Town when he is in Jamaica and there are old trails the Maroons used to move between areas there are caves, pastures, mountains, awesome views and great Maroon history. He can arrange for a guide to walk with you and you can even camp on this hike if you would like. I haven't done it yet but it is one of the top 5 on my realistic "Bucket List". Good Luck and enjoy

Just found this
    Anyone who desires to see Accompong Town, learn its history, walk to the Peace Cave or just “hang out” with some of the finest people in Jamaica are welcome to contact me, Bill Evans at: accompong98@yahoo.com OR accompong2000@aol.com . I am always happy to help my friends in Accompong Town and to help you have a unique experience you will treasure forever.

Read more: http://www.jamaicans.com/info/jahist...#ixzz3SsPQuR8a
    Last edited by Packrat; 02-26-2015 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Not quite a walk in the woods ...along ..nature trails ..
    But, we had an excellent time ...with De Music Buzz ... Kingston Flash ..tour
    long day ..but, well worth the $$$$ ...
    If ya love reggae ...this tours a must