Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ... and speaking of ChickV

User Info Menu

... and speaking of ChickV

This last week, I made my regularly scheduled visit to our local Community Blood Center. As usual, there was yet another bulletin that had to be read regarding travel, medications, and conditions that might affect my acceptability as a donor.

This one was a bulletin about the occurrence and threat of Chickungunya in the Caribbean Basin. I chuckled because it was timely (we're coming home in mid-April). I must have thought it was pretty funny because I can't remember what the upshot of the bulletin was. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the bulletin before my next donation.

That said, has ChickV been much of a problem of late in Negril and environs? I know that late in '14 there was a concerted effort island-wide to mitigate conditions that are amenable to the life cycle of the mosquito that bears the virus. I also recall that a few boardies had been infected. Has the tide turned on this?

I just want to know how many gallons of DEET to bring with us. ;-)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: ... and speaking of ChickV

Back on Feb 7th, I wrote the follow on our Negril Message Board:

"The last new case any of us can remember happening in Negril was about 5 weeks ago. Since the contagious stage is limited in time (about 1 week), the mosquito needs to bite a contagious person to spread the virus. It would appear that no one is currently contagious so the virus has stopped spreading in Negril.

But it is still wise to use mosquito spray...."

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...kungunya-virus

The Ministry of Health has also reported no new cases island wide. Since I wrote that over a month ago, and it was already at 5 weeks, there have been no new cases in Negril for two months now.

Come on down and have a great time. Still bring the spray you use as no one wants a mosquito bite... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob... I must have missed that post.

That's great news... hope that's not a seasonal thing and that the proactive mitigation efforts have worked! We will bring the spray, nonetheless!

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: ... and speaking of ChickV

How would the Ministry of Health know if any there were any new cases? If someone had ChickV and didn't get medical assistant in Negril or got sick when they got home, there would not be a report of it.

I had more mosquito bites this year than any other visit to Negril. Make sure to bring spray and use it diligently. Ensure there are screens on the windows and keep doors closed. We tend not to worry about using spray indoors but the mosquitos do come in. We also used mosquito coils whenever we went out on our balcony/patio. You just can't be too careful.

ChickV is a nasty virus and causes horrible pain to joints, headaches, fever, chills, fatigue, and muscle pain. Not the way you want to spend your vacation or go home with.

Administrator

User Info Menu

JahLove,

The Ministry of Health has given the "all clear" to the island as there has been no new reported cases of Chick V in over two months now. This is one of their jobs. It can only be spread if someone CURRENTLY contagious and for the last 2 months no one has been contagious. The spreading has stopped.

No one living here is worried about it as it a non-issue now. This is way chick-v spreads and then stops spreading.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

The Liberians thought they were in the clear with ebola until the past week. Use your DEET!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    The Liberians thought they were in the clear with ebola until the past week. Use your DEET!
    What the hell has Ebola to do with Chick V?
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    So if I use deet I won't get Ebola?

User Info Menu

Relax... I'll BRING the DEET... but I'll probably use the rum...

User Info Menu

Been using more mosquito repellant than usual, but still getting eaten alive. Counted 20 bites per leg tonight. If ChickV is here, I'll let you know.