Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

User Info Menu

Re: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    Stay right here cause these are the good old days
    love it! thanks!

User Info Menu

At least this thread is still open for discussion, any mention of this on TA has been shut down.

User Info Menu

TripAdvisor sucks. I never go to that place anymore, it's just a big glorified ad really. No negative discussion allowed.

User Info Menu

Keeping it real on Negril.com.... Yah mon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
    Might one think this is pursuant to a request from developers of the Grand Lido site?
    Bet on it. Don't know if the rabble about a 10 story development was ever legit, due to the Aerodrome being directly across the road. Frankly, I'm surprised the new restrictions were allowed because of this.

User Info Menu

Hey Chris, not to get off topic but if I"m not mistaken you were doing your first non a/i and swept away trip. As a fellow fan of CSA I was wondering what your thoughts were. And as far as the lifting of restrictions...time will tell if it was a huge mistake. I hope not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shell View Post
    Hey Chris, not to get off topic but if I"m not mistaken you were doing your first non a/i and swept away trip. As a fellow fan of CSA I was wondering what your thoughts were. And as far as the lifting of restrictions...time will tell if it was a huge mistake. I hope not.
    Had a great time! While Swept Away was wonderful as always, we had our best meals "out there", most notably at Tree House. The vibe on the beach was probably more mellow, but the wandering musicians were more over on the AI's, knowing where the bigger tips were, no doubt.

As we assumed going in, it's not fair to compare a beach hotel to Swept Away, or vice versa. They're not comparable in mission, scale or price. We'll certainly go back to the beach hotels, and we'll still go back to Swept Away.

If you haven't experienced the non-AI concept, I'd recommend dipping in with a split stay of some kind on your next reach, going to a beach hotel first as we did. That way, if you're not satisfied with the experience, you'll at least have the AI to look forward to. For us, it was nice to look forward to getting together with some old friends at Swept Away for the second half of our vaca.

User Info Menu

Glad you enjoyed both Chris. We always do a split between a/I and swept away. Usually cliffs but have stayed at a number of beach spots too. We're actually headed to Tensing Pen tomorrow for a few days then to CSA. I was curious to see if you ended up feeling like we do..which it sounds like you might.
    We enjoy the first part of our trips, and would feel we missed out on a big part of our trip if we just stayed"on campus" but always happy to walk into the lobby at Swept Away!

User Info Menu

This actually seems like a good compromise. It sets clearly defined laws that aren't debatable. It allows for some growth but should limit it enough to not entice mega-resorts to go on a buying spree. There's no going back to "the good old days". The cat is out of the bag. More and more visitors are likely to come just as we did. As in any free market, supply and demand dictate cost. As hotels start booking more guests and rooms become harder to get, the cost to get a room will increase (the higher the demand the higher the cost). If hotels are allowed to accommodate more guests this increases supply and helps keep room costs down.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

i wonder who would like to stay in a four storey building in Negril? Would there be elevators in each building, and if so, wouldn't it get old very quickly to ride the elevator to hit the beach or buffet? (or alternately climb up and down three flights of stairs). Luxury and a four storey building just doesn't work for me for a Negril beach vacation. Maybe the four storey building concept is a potential white elephant in the making???