Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite restaurants (categorized by price point)? Trying to stick to a budget..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Your favorite restaurants (categorized by price point)? Trying to stick to a budget..

My first time in Negril, one of the things I found challenging was sticking to a food budget. I believe it is possible to eat on any budget in Negril; however, knowing the average price of a meal prior to arriving at the restaurant was challenging (at best).

It can be time consuming to find a menu online (and no one wants to spend time researching restaurant prices on vacation). Websites that categorize by price are often not helpful at all (e.g., TripAdvisor categorizing a restaurant from $6-40).

So far I have found one website that is reasonably accurate based on my limited experience: http://www.negrilonestop.com/restaurants.shtml. But this list is not comprehensive - there are tons of restaurants not on the list, many of which I thoroughly enjoyed and/or are highly rated elsewhere.

Where do you go to find restaurants categorized by $'s? Do you just ask a local?

What are your favorite $, $$, $$$ and $$$$ restaurants?
    • $ <= $10/pp
    • $$ <= $20/pp
    • $$$ <= 30/pp
    • $$$$ = 40+/pp

I can't wait to hear your recommendations!

User Info Menu

Re: Your favorite restaurants (categorized by price point)? Trying to stick to a budg

I look for restaurants with a strong local following. Lots of taxi drivers and local workers at a place usually means the food is good, and inexpensive Jamaican yard food.

User Info Menu

Great responses...

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    I look for restaurants with a strong local following. Lots of taxi drivers and local workers at a place usually means the food is good, and inexpensive Jamaican yard food.
    Great suggestion - go where the locals go.

Also great suggestions by Captain Oil. We do 1-5, 7-8. White Sands is our go to hotel as it is budget friendly.

Thanks for all of the quick responses! To summarize, here are the restaurants everyone mentioned so far (by price point, not already on OneStop):

$
    Jeans (on Firestation Road)
    Juici Patties
    Mango Tree Restaurant
    Reggae Man
    Sips and Bites
    Sweet Spot

$$
    Alfred's on the Beach
    Home Sweet Home Restaurant
    Jamaican-Style Restaurant & Bar
    Sweet Spice

$$$
    Charela

Uncategorized
    Keney's Chinese Restaurant
    Montanas
    Swordfish Grill

User Info Menu

Re: Great responses...

Try Here:

Name:  IMG_20150328_135847530_HDR.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  93.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Re: Great responses...

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    Try Here:

Name:  IMG_20150328_135840361_HDR.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  94.0 KB
    Which restaurant is that? (the name is cutoff)

User Info Menu

Re: Your favorite restaurants (categorized by price point)? Trying to stick to a budg

We like Sweet Spot and Sips and Bites for great food and a very good price ($)
    Sweet Spice (near the police station) for great meals ($$)
    Charela for special dinners ($$$)

User Info Menu

There are sooo many excellent places to try ! And we have tried and love most of the restaurants we experienced in Negril. Price is usually pretty fair at many places some are high but they are higher end restaurants. One of our fav is Keney's Chinese Rest. beside Traveler's Beach Resort. Yes it is Chinese food but done with a Jamaican flare mmmm !!! very good food a must try when in Negril. Some of our best picks are; Alfred's on the Beach, Caio, great pizza, beside Sam Sara Resort in the west end, Chicken Lavis, the list goes on & on. Good luck in finding your fav restaurant, enjoy the adventure !

Irie Andy

User Info Menu

For quick serve Jamaican fare, try Juici Patti. They often have specials like two beef patties and a box drink for 250 or 300 J. About 3 U.S. for a hot lunch. Good people watching in there too.

User Info Menu

That list from Negril One Stop is a pretty good place to start. It looks like it has been updated since I last looked at it. My only critique is that prices for lunch items are often less than dinner, as lunch is sometimes smaller and may not contain sides. One Stop may have a restaurant as $$, but you can easily get lunch for $6 if you go for a sandwich or a 1/4 chicken.

I would add the following restaurants to that list (Pricing estimates for dinner):

$$ - Jamaican-Style Restaurant & Bar. Located across from Mirage on the West End. Dinner Platters include a side of pasta and vegetable. Great food and fun bar.
    $ - Mango Tree Restaurant. Inexpensive Jamaican cook shop, located across from Rick's. Good value!
    $$ - Home Sweet Home Restaurant. Amazing cliff side setting. Decent selection on the dinner menu. Not the cheapest but a good value, compared to other cliff side restaurants.
    Last edited by Mike_D; 05-18-2015 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

It's called Nyammins. Nyamin means to eat.

It's in Sheffield at the Springfield Road cross

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com