Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money saving ideas - What are yours?

User Info Menu

Money saving ideas - What are yours?

Most people are looking for ways to save money on vacation while still having as much fun. Here are a few of our EASY ways to cut costs and control your budget EVERYDAY:

1) Find a hotel deal within your budget .............. look for deals that may include the Jamaican Room Tax and hotel service fees (collected and distributed to hotel employees who normally do not receive tips such as gardeners, maids, laundry people, and other "backroom employees) ............ these hidden taxes and fees normally run up to 20% of room rate plus $4 per bedroom per night Room Tax. Savings of 20% minimum

2) Stay at a hotel near where you spend the majority of your time. For example we are "beach people" so we stay the majority of the time at a beach hotel. Less transportation costs. Savings vary on how much you travel and what kind of transport you use.

3) Find a hotel that provides the extras you need or want the most. For example, free ice, clean beach towels every day, free breakfast, free refrigerator, free AC, etc... Save money and enjoy more at the same time.

4) Use your in-room refrig to the best of your ability. Case of beer from local store is $20-$24 US. Twenty for beers at $2US at a bar is $48 - do the math.

5) Like some special drinks that are hard to find or expensive. Like Gin/Vodka and tonic or seltzer ?............ bring a few bottles of tonic or seltzer. Like Bourbon? - pack a bottle or three of your favorite. Gimlets are your favorite - pack Rose's Lime Juice. Tequila on the rocks lights you fire - pack some tequila. Need a bloody mary to clear the fog in the morning - pack bloody mary mix and tomato juice. Like a nice olive or three in your sunset martini - pack a jar of olives ............. and vermouth. We pack ALL of the above.

6) Some hotel booking sites have discount cards included in their packages. For example negrilonestop.com has a card which gives you 10-15% discount at many places. That makes going out to a nicer place easier on the budget. We used it extensively in April. That is another 10% - 15 % savings.

7) Work the "happy hour" angle to your best advantage. Lots of places have discount food or drinks if you know where and when to look. For example White Sands has a "2 drinks for 1 price" special daily. Not exactly "buy one get one deal" but still a substantial savings over regular prices.

8) Find a way to cheaply convert your US dollars into Jamaican dollars and pay for most things in Jamaican dollars. ATM's charge a service charge which can vary but $5 US or more per transaction is not unheard of. Your bank may charge a ATM fee AND a foreign transaction fee which can run from zero to 15%. The exchange rate you get at a restaurant or bar will always be less then a Bank or Cambio. For example, beers on the beach can cost $150 to $400 Jamaican But you only have US dollars? They will charge you $1.50 to $4.00US. Might not seem like much, but with an exchange rate of $115 JA to $1US you just paid $230JA for a $200JA beer. Total those savings and it is a easy 15% - 25% savings just in simple currency management.

9) Stay longer. Airfare is a fixed cost and if you spread that cost over more days your cost per day is less. You don't save any money but you certainly will have more fun ! !

10) Fly on days when flights are cheaper. ITAsoftware.com has a great feature to show a 30 day calendar of flight costs. Some times moving ahead or back a day or two can save you $$$$$.
    Last edited by Captain Oil; 06-03-2015 at 07:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Money saving ideas - What are yours?

Disclaimer: I am a low season, shoestring budget traveler, LOL
    Many hotels offer free breakfast, or incentives like stay 6 nights get one free, usually in low season
    Scope out hotel rates online, then walk in with cash and make an offer (if the thought of doing that doesn't freak you out.)
    I bring a small hot pot to boil water for tea, porridge, etc.
    I bring a big bag of tropical trail mix and small ziplock bags to carry some to the beach or wherever
    have brought fishing line and hooks and enjoyed the catch of the day
    I keep it local - no chain or corporate type of business gets my cash (except the airline)
    Stuff like sunscreen and "American" style snacks can be very expensive so don't forget to pack them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    I keep it local - no chain or corporate type of business gets my cash (except the airline)
    Stuff like sunscreen and "American" style snacks can be very expensive so don't forget to pack them.
    These are excellent points. When we shop at the markets (i.e. Hi Lo, L&M, etc), we only buy local items and stay from the imported stuff. I see no reason to buy a $5 bag of Doritos, when I came to Jamaica to experience things that we can't get at home.

Also, items like sunscreen and toiletries are brought from home. Although you can find them on the island, you pay a premium for the imported brands.

User Info Menu

bun and cheese from the store for breakfast and/or lunch a couple days.

User Info Menu

I was a college student back when I first started going. Coca bread and cheese for breakfast . Couple beef patties for lunch and chicken off the truck for dinner . Under 10 a day. Yum yum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    4) Use your in-room refrig to the best of your ability. Case of beer from local store is $20-$24 US. Twenty for beers at $2US at a bar is $48 - do the math.
    Currently the beer prices in the store average approx. $27-30us for a case...includes tax & deposit. HiLo six pack exactly 844.70j as of yesterday...inc. tax & dep.

A couple of our favourite happy hour places....

*Yellow Bird on the beach 2 for 1 @500j for the selection of the day....usually 3-4 drink choices

*Canoe on the West End beach...2 for 1 from 2-6pm....many choices...wicked rum punch

*Seastar Inn...2 for 1 from 3-5pm (think the time is right)...great sports bar

User Info Menu

I bring travel kitchette.......electric single burner stove, hot pot. I also buy pot, pan, plates, utensils from goodwill and leave those for housekeeper. I bring canned and dried food, mostly for breakfast and then for side dishes that go with my nightly jerk chicken. We go to value master to buy our sodas and beer to drink on the porch/veranda.....

User Info Menu

Don't be a liquor snob. Jamaican made Vodka is perfectly acceptable and way cheap. You're mixing it with something (I hope), and it tastes just fine. Grey Goose, and Smirnoff people, close your eyes and you won't know the difference.

However, there is no replacement for the unique taste of Appleton Special Rum.

Book a hotel with free breakfast (as mentioned) and free rides to the beach and back (Seastar Inn) which also has free fridge and free ice at the bar.

No hotplate, microwave or stove? A drip coffeemaker can be used to warm your patty or sandwich as long as it's in a water-tight zip lock bag. (at least take the chill off)

Seastar also has a clothesline (way out back), that you might be able to use a few feet of, after you scrub and rinse your shorts and t's in the tub. (Shhhhhh, it's a secret).

'Course it's hard to get into Seastar. They popular!
    Last edited by Big_frank; 06-07-2015 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yesihunt2 View Post
    I bring travel kitchette.......electric single burner stove, hot pot. I also buy pot, pan, plates, utensils from goodwill and leave those for housekeeper. I bring canned and dried food, mostly for breakfast and then for side dishes that go with my nightly jerk chicken. We go to value master to buy our sodas and beer to drink on the porch/veranda.....
    Do you encounter any problems bringing in your electric single burner stove/hot pot

User Info Menu

If you go in low season and just arrange your flight and maybe just one nights accommodation before hand. On your first morning in Negril, take a couple hours and visit some of the smaller hotels or B&Bs, (especially those across the street from the beach if you are looking for a great deal) and ask for their best "walk in rate". Sometimes you can haggle, especially if you visit three or four places and get some price comparisons. If you find a place you like but were quoted a better price somewhere else you can mention it and sometimes the person behind the counter will match or maybe lower their quoted rate just to get you to book in with them. Once you arrange your new digs, go have breakfast and then go back to the hotel you booked for your first night only and grab your bags, check out then hail a cab and move into your new room for the duration of your stay.

If you are staying on the beach at a Non-AI sometimes a walk across the road for eats (places where many locals would stop) will see lower prices for food. It may not always be as fancy as a beachfront restaurant but if you get your food to go then just take it to the beach and eat it there.
    Last edited by halfwaytree; 06-08-2015 at 11:14 AM.