Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this in Negril?

User Info Menu

Re: Has anyone seen this in Negril?

lots of times . . . after stormy seas . . . sometimes takes time for the hotels to clean it up . . .

User Info Menu

It's Fox News!!!! Come on peeps, consider your source. When you throw in Kingston, Jamaica as a location of the article it is a little misleading.

With that said, Negril and Jamaica as a whole should see an uptick in tourist due to the Sargassum issues elsewhere. I was all booked for Mexico for my next vacation, however with no end in sight I changed it up to Negril as I know it is safe as stated by Cap. I'm sure others will as well once they see the pics of endless Sargassum piling up on their favorite beaches.

User Info Menu

Beach and water was all clear last week. The River - YES THE RIVER - Was clear as day and you could see through to the bottom from the bridge.

User Info Menu

Oh no that is nothing. It was 3 feet high by 6 feet high in Punta Cana last December. The staff at some of the hotels
    Used bare hands all day long putting it in clear trash bags. Playacar Mexico staff are digging deep holes and putting it in.
    Do not understand how hotel rates are so high.

User Info Menu

I wonder if all this seaweed could be collected and processed to be used in some beneficial way?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    I wonder if all this seaweed could be collected and processed to be used in some beneficial way?
    ???
    deja vue
    ???

funny
    that you should mention ''that''
    'cause it was JUST the other day
    that i was *researching* care of my elephant ear plants
    and
    it was suggested/recommended
    buying/using a fertilizer product that included
    as one of the ingredients:::>> seaweed
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Saw it once after a BIG storm. The public beach at long bay was knee high. BUT, after a few days and some front end loaders working non stop, it was gone before I left.
    Soon come!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Of course you will see it after any rough seas, that is how beaches get built up in the first place. That has been going on for thousands of years. But that is not what the article is talking about. The article is referring to the new (since 2011), consistent algae/seaweed (no rough seas required) pile ups on certain beaches and those mats floating around the sea in large living clumps, which has not been happening for thousands of years...

"Clumps of the brownish seaweed known as sargassum have long washed up on Caribbean coastlines, but researchers say the algae blooms have exploded in extent and frequency in recent years. The 2015 seaweed invasion appears to be a bumper crop..."

As Bnewb said, this is NOT happening in Negril. Come down and enjoy our beautiful Seven Mile Beach!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    The most beneficial way the seaweed in Negril could be used would be to leave it right where it comes ashore. This allows for beach accretion (nourishment). The decaying seaweed adds to the beach and holds the sand that naturally washes ashore in place. But we, as humans, have a disgust for the decaying smell of seaweed.

This offensive seaweed smell is unfortunately the cause of many absurd Negril Rumor Mill claims. It has been said that the smell was caused by "run off from the waste water treatment plant", which happens to be miles away and yet there is no smell between the plant and the beach. And possibly the most creative claim, that a particular AI built hidden sewage pipes a mile out to the reef instead of connecting to the sewage lines under the nearby road. To build "hidden lines" that no one would see being built to the reef would cost a fortune, and even more to maintain. Connecting to the line on the road is a relatively inexpensive procedure. The Negril Rumor Mill can be quite colourful at times and both these claims have both been posted here and other places on the Internet, as ridiculous as they may sound when actually analyzed.

Nature has a way that takes care of itself. It is when mankind steps in and thinks they know better that has caused many of our ecological problems.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

See photo from June 2015 below. This is Coco Beach after a night of rough seas and wind. The guy raking on the far right of the pic told me it only happens when the wind blow from the West?? I think that is what Cap was referring to above. This photo was taken before breakfast and you can see a few piles of seaweed. There is a hole that has been dug and the small piles of seaweed will be buried. This happened two days this June and the beach was cleaned up by breakfast time.

Enjoy,

VVHTName:  Coco La Palm Glass Bottom Boat.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  87.0 KB