Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do we have to pa in u.s money

User Info Menu

Re: Why do we have to pa in u.s money

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    That's weird as they are still offering those options on their website on Saturdays?
    They've restarted direct flights on Saturdays starting Nov 28 through April, apparently. I'm going Nov 7th-21st. Ah well, $300 towards my next trip is alright.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    That's very true Rob and thanks for pointing that out. What I should have said was they insist on PRICING in US dollars. My point is that another "conversion" will happen when changing the US price to a JA price. You can bet the tourist will come out on the short end of that "conversion" every single time.
    Tourist rarely if EVER come out on the short end of the conversion rate. The current rate at the Cambio today was 114.7 to 1 (JA$ to US$). For ALL the places charging LESS than 114.7 to 1, the tourist as well as Jamaicans are receiving a "local discount" by paying in Jamaican currency. I know of no restaurant, bar or hotel charging even 114.8 to 1 or more. The tourist, by paying in Jamaican, is ALWAYS getting the LONG end of the "conversion" every single time.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Yeah can't complain too loudly about a refund at least they just didn't change it and tell you to stuff it. I used to love the direct flights out of Regina but they only lasted a couple of years. Now we fly through Toronto down but gonna see if we can come back through Winnipeg in January. If you are forced to overnight it might as well be where you have friends!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I love connecting through Winnipeg vs Toronto. Such a small airport, in and out and the flight home to Saskatoon is just over an hour.

User Info Menu

Jerms, don't forget to get in on the Nov roll call.
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The current rate at the Cambio today was 114.7 to 1 (JA$ to US$).
    Despite apparently knowing the cambio rate, for some reason establishments don't bother to post the current cambio rate. Why not a little full disclosure? Just saying

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Yeah can't complain too loudly about a refund at least they just didn't change it and tell you to stuff it. I used to love the direct flights out of Regina but they only lasted a couple of years. Now we fly through Toronto down but gonna see if we can come back through Winnipeg in January. If you are forced to overnight it might as well be where you have friends!
    Hey Crusher. Not sure about pricing but air Transat does fly direct from Regina to Montego Bay. I think its about $900 return per person.

User Info Menu

I have a 1000 dollar credit with WestJet so kind of locked in with them this trip. I know Sunwing has direct as well but they want like 1500 bucks. About two weeks before flights leave that comes down a lot but just don't want to play that game as losing would suck!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I booked early in the year for this winter, and selected a non-inclusive. I probably should have gone all-inclusive. It appears you can still get a decent deal in Canadian dollars. I have to save a little more then I planned for this time around. I'm not very happy about that, but I'm surely not cancelling.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    Despite apparently knowing the cambio rate, for some reason establishments don't bother to post the current cambio rate. Why not a little full disclosure? Just saying
    Craig123,

The average business in Negril is not a Cambio, and does not and cannot legally operate as one. Their only requirement for "full disclosure" is to let you know what rate, if any, they are giving for foreign currency. They are not required to accept foreign currency at all. It is done as a convenience to their clients.

The current Cambio US$ rate is 114.7 to 1 - so a us$10 dinner, if paid in US$, in current cambio rates would be Ja$1147. If the restaurant has an exchange rate at 110 to 1, which many are doing to keep the conversion simple, you are paying Ja$1100 for that same dinner. Ja$1100 is LESS than Ja$1147. The tourist and local paying in Jamaican currency are getting the better deal than paying in US$, although it only works out to be about 47 US cents.

To make it very simple, a popular bar on the beach charges us$2.50 or Ja$250 for a beer. Exchange your us$20 at the Cambio and you get Ja$2294 back. US$20 at the bar will buy you 8 beers with no change. Ja$ will buy you 9 beers and have Ja$44 left over. Once again, paying in Jamaican currency comes out ahead for both tourists and locals.

I have never heard any tourist or local getting a "worse deal" by paying in the local Jamaican currency at any bar or restaurant.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!