Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

Brought cash and got it exchanged at various mom and pop grocery stores. Got cash twice at the Scotia bank only. Zero problems either way. Stayed away from all non bank atm's after reading this post.

User Info Menu

We tend to use our Credit Card in Jamaica at our resort (at check out basically) and at some restaurants. We have only every had a problem at a Jewelry Store at Sangster one time (the only place we used that card on that trip). Reading this thread has raised my awareness to this issue but it has left me with some questions...
    Should I trust hotels like Rockhouse with my credit card?
    Restaurants we tend to use our credit cards include Rockhouse, Ivan's, Kuyaba, and Pushcart (there are others but these come to mind).
    I hate to carry a lot of cash when I am traveling, and usually just take a bunch of 1's and 5's for tips, and enough cash for cabs and such, but outside of that we use our credit cards.
    What are your views on the use of credit cards at these places I mentioned? While we have visited Jamaica over 35 times, most times to Negril, reading this thread has made me rethink our methods.
    Thanks for sharing your views and experiences!
    Roy

User Info Menu

I don't think I reported in yet. Used my debit card at every ATM...had to because most of they declined me without even connecting to my bank. I would say out of 9 or 10 attempts I got cash 3 times. My brother was never able to get cash. The good news is absolutely no problems have shown up. Consider this a test of current fraud at the ATMs. Used my credit card at the Hi Lo in Mobay and had no problem mon. I want to be back there so bad it hurts!! PNS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    I don't think I reported in yet. Used my debit card at every ATM...had to because most of they declined me without even connecting to my bank. I would say out of 9 or 10 attempts I got cash 3 times. My brother was never able to get cash. The good news is absolutely no problems have shown up. Consider this a test of current fraud at the ATMs. Used my credit card at the Hi Lo in Mobay and had no problem mon. I want to be back there so bad it hurts!! PNS
    Curious, did this happen over a week or so or maybe just a weekend? I have had issues like this on two occasions IIRC, and would say my success rate is about 95%. I did have one night where I hit every ATM in Negril, with two ATM cards, and struck out in getting cash. I always load up early Friday as it seems the only time the ATM's are out of cash is on the weekend. I usually go in low season though, and might have had the issues during high season.

User Info Menu

booger, several different days of the week but being out of JA could have been a problem once or twice. One time at Times Square when I was really concerned about running out of money I tried getting US and it gave it to me. Not the way to go though with the current exchange rate. The one I found that worked for me last was in the parking lot of Value Master. I think that was one drawing some concern.

User Info Menu

I had 0 luck using debit card in any atm(all scotia) during our trip 2/3 2/17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pine tree john View Post
    I had 0 luck using debit card in any atm(all scotia) during our trip 2/3 2/17
    That does not sound good. Any chance you care to share details as in which ATM's and your bank back home??? If not, I completely understand, as I have had really good results with BofA and Chase.

User Info Menu

Chase but I don't think it was them. They showed no requests other that the ones that succeeded. I will always be prepared with more cash.

User Info Menu

I have stayed attentive to this situation, and considering Rob's recent posts I feel confident the ATM's in Negril are NOT being tampered with, but it is the Visa/MC processor for the Caribbean (and their accomplices on the ground utilizing the info) that are the problem. The situation is still concerning but I feel good about Negril.
    Last edited by Lola; 02-28-2016 at 10:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Returned to US January 16. Both my husband and I had our accounts emptied on the 24th and 26 (2 different banks) at Novscotia StJames/Texaco. Waiting for banks response this morning. We only used our cards at bank atms.