Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

Quote Originally Posted by limeex2 View Post
    Isn't there a "real" bank in the downtown area? Couldn't one go inside the bank and use their service inside? If that's possible, I seriously doubt one would encounter issues inside the bank.
    Scotia Bank is a real bank, and yes, you can go inside during banking hours and use an indoor ATM. That's certainly the safest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Interestingly, all the fraudulent withdrawals were taken at Bank of Nova Scotia - which (at least in Negril) charges a fee, which adds to the transaction time. They must have a way to override the machines to withdraw so quickly.
    Lola, if they skimmed your credit card, they are using equipment (easy to buy) that reads the stripe on your card; probably a camera to get your PIN; and a machine to produce duplicate cards. Then they can simply produce several duplicate cards and send them out with accomplices who use them on schedule wherever they want, so as to get a bunch of transactions done before the account is closed. Not especially sophisticated.

I would say never to use a private ATM, and to be very suspicious in using any outside of a bank - including the walk-up ones outside a bank.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 01-25-2016 at 09:31 AM.

User Info Menu

No where in Jamaica is soon come more evident than when trying to do bank business. If you need a teller, expect to wait in line forever.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

But they have ATMs inside??

User Info Menu

This is a bit disturbing. We are heading to Negril in April from Michigan(2nd trip). If we were to buy prepaid credit cards, would hotels, restaurants. stores accept these? and if they do accept them, would we get screwed on the conversion factor. I would hate to carry a bunch of cash on me. or I guess as long as you are monitoring your accts and advise the bank/credit card company before your trip, it should be caught pretty quick and funds returned, right?
    This has happened to me a couple times over the years where transactions took place that I didnt make when travelling within the US so I do know this can happen anywhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 541lion View Post
    But they have ATMs inside??
    I was last there 2 years ago, but at that time there were 2 inside and 2 outside. There was always a security person near the door.

There were also 2 outside, in the usual "booth" arrangement you see at banks. One would dispense only JMD, the other would let you choose between JMD or USD.

Remember that the bank is open banking hours only, so on weekends you'd have to use the outside ATMs. I often found them to be out of money on Sundays.

If withdrawing in JMD, be sure to ask for the right amount - if you ask for $300. you'll get $300 JMD, and pay the $1.50 US (or whatever) transaction fee.

If anybody has more recent information, please correct me as needed.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 01-25-2016 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by belfar3 View Post
    If we were to buy prepaid credit cards, would hotels, restaurants. stores accept these?
    Yes.
    and if they do accept them, would we get screwed on the conversion factor.
    Yes. You'll need to carefully read the terms and conditions, but I expect you will find there is a significant foreign transaction fee on each transaction, in addition to being charged an exchange rate.

I usually take out enough cash for 3-4 days at a time, and keep enough for each day on my person and the rest in the hotel safe - with my passport.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 01-25-2016 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I won't claim expertise on card skimming but it seems to me they need both your account number AND your secret PIN code. "Protect your PIN" is more than a slogan. I always cover one hand with the other to conceal my PIN. That hidden camera will need x-ray vision.
    Last edited by Craig123; 01-25-2016 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    I won't claim expertise on card skimming but it seems to me they need both your account number AND your secret PIN code. "Protect your PIN" is more than a slogan. I always cover one hand with the other to conceal my PIN. That hidden camera will need x-ray vision.
    Good idea to use everywhere...however, I have been searching the web regarding info on card skimming since this happened to me. Apparently, this doesn't always help. These devious dudes even use fake pin pads placed over existing ones...that look the same..in order to obtain the PIN. Next trip, I plan to use the one inside the bank. I have been inside the NS Bank before to cash Travelers Checks (when I use to be able to get them) but didn't really see an ATM. I am glad that someone posted the information regarding the presence of these.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I have found a simple solution for travel money, that has worked great for me for years, but might not for everyone. I opened an account in a different bank, besides my bank where
    I have my regular checking account. I use it strictly for travel and only keep an amount that I think I'm going to need , maybe a little extra.... so that way if
    my account ever gets messed with, it won't hurt me to much.

User Info Menu

I have always used the one outside of NS bank......but I won't now, I will use the indoor one....